C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 C4 V.A.T. key stuck in ignition. cant turn vette off

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Steve Fontaine
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 C4 V.A.T. key stuck in ignition. cant turn vette off

I am new here but i am also on the canadian vette forum where we get like 4 posts a day. hopefully there are more C4 owners here.

ill get right to the point.

I bought a C4 89 vette 2 months ago and its in pretty good condition. i did notice that the ignition cylinder was a bit wonky. but it has worked up until 2 days ago.

i started the beast up and drove to the store..... and couldnt shut it down.

here are the symtoms.

-the key will turn all the way forward and start the vette. but the key will not fall back into the normal running position. in order to turn the vette off, i have to disconnect the battery and turn the key forward again to ignite the spark plugs. (not a good way to shut it down)

-sometimes the key will work flawlessly. and sometimes it jams and wont even turn when the vette is in off position.

-i did not touch the automatic shifter at anytime. and the vette is on an incline in my driveway. so if it wasnt in park... would it not roll backwards down hill? (some have suggested its not making it fully to park position)

-i was able to wiggle the main key and shut off the vette a few times. but when i tried the spare.... it jammed completely in the same forward position. it is actually still stuck in the ignition and i cant get it out.

-i called a locksmith who tried to rip me off for $700 and 4 hours labour saying they have to take out the key and change the cylinder.

- i can still start it. but not shut it off. it works fine in park, neutral, reverse but just wont release the VAT key.

i can get a new ignition cylinder and key for $90 from illinios. i have a wheel puller and the instructions for changing the cylinder from the same place that sells the parts. i do have the VAT code for the key. i had it tested today

what do you guys think? i know next to nothing about this stuff.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Fontaine
I am new here but i am also on the canadian vette forum where we get like 4 posts a day. hopefully there are more C4 owners here.

ill get right to the point.

I bought a C4 89 vette 2 months ago and its in pretty good condition. i did notice that the ignition cylinder was a bit wonky. but it has worked up until 2 days ago.

i started the beast up and drove to the store..... and couldnt shut it down.

here are the symtoms.

-the key will turn all the way forward and start the vette. but the key will not fall back into the normal running position. in order to turn the vette off, i have to disconnect the battery and turn the key forward again to ignite the spark plugs. (not a good way to shut it down)

-sometimes the key will work flawlessly. and sometimes it jams and wont even turn when the vette is in off position.

-i did not touch the automatic shifter at anytime. and the vette is on an incline in my driveway. so if it wasnt in park... would it not roll backwards down hill? (some have suggested its not making it fully to park position)

-i was able to wiggle the main key and shut off the vette a few times. but when i tried the spare.... it jammed completely in the same forward position. it is actually still stuck in the ignition and i cant get it out.

-i called a locksmith who tried to rip me off for $700 and 4 hours labour saying they have to take out the key and change the cylinder.

- i can still start it. but not shut it off. it works fine in park, neutral, reverse but just wont release the VAT key.

i can get a new ignition cylinder and key for $90 from illinios. i have a wheel puller and the instructions for changing the cylinder from the same place that sells the parts. i do have the VAT code for the key. i had it tested today

what do you guys think? i know next to nothing about this stuff.

I think you need to change the cylinder
Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 AM
The Thomas J
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your steering collum needs to be rebuilt, The same thing happened to me the first week I had my Vette. This is a situation you want to address before you can't shift it out of park or before you can't start the car. My suggestion to you is not to use park. Keep it in neutral and use the parking brake. Get it fixed ASAP.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:09 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I think you need to change the cylinder
I'm with this guy for the "first" attempt likely. Could you maybe have ignition switch rod/rack issues that complicate it? Maybe.

I don't believe you should need the USA sourcing for the cylinder. If you use this GM# 26033390 for the cylinder as a basis for a cross-reference I'd want to buy "local". Nearly all parts stores could cross-reference that OE/GM#. GM# 26008775 would have been an older # to maybe try.

You might try a local locksmith for maybe Strattec or Briggs & Stratton - B&S was the original GM supplier. There are a couple parts that if they're not already busted you will likely bust when doing the cylinder so I'd buy them in advance.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-25-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Here's a little trick I got from my mechanic relating to ignition keys and not working right. If the key is stuck in the cylinder and won't turn all the way, pull the battery cable to be safe then take a plastic handled screwdriver and tap the end of the key while you try to turn it.

I had one stuck in the van that wouldn't turn off. tapping it got the various internal parts to vibrate into position and got it to turn to the lock position. I was then able to remove the key. Had my mechanic replace the lock cylinder (he may have used a locksmith but don't know for sure). Once replaced, it's been fine and didn't even need to get new keys for it, still using my originals.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Here's a little trick I got from my mechanic relating to ignition keys and not working right. If the key is stuck in the cylinder and won't turn all the way, pull the battery cable to be safe then take a plastic handled screwdriver and tap the end of the key while you try to turn it.

I had one stuck in the van that wouldn't turn off. tapping it got the various internal parts to vibrate into position and got it to turn to the lock position. I was then able to remove the key. Had my mechanic replace the lock cylinder (he may have used a locksmith but don't know for sure). Once replaced, it's been fine and didn't even need to get new keys for it, still using my originals.
Safe from what?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Steve Fontaine
Heel & Toe

here is a video i made so you can actually see whats going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg-9...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 PM
C4Coupe
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has worked for me in other vehicles. "Gently" tap around the key cylinder , not directly on the key, with the round end of a ball-peen hammer. Try turning the key after each tap. Of course replace the cylinder after you get the key out. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Steve Fontaine
Heel & Toe

i actually did something like that. its not stated in the video. mind you i did not use a ball peen hammer. i will try anything once.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Steve Fontaine
Heel & Toe

another quick video

Old 06-27-2017, 11:16 PM
Steve Fontaine
Heel & Toe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUk-...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

There is a rod that connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch that's located down by the pedals. Check that for movement. It might be jammed somehow.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:35 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
There is a rod that connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch that's located down by the pedals. Check that for movement. It might be jammed somehow.
I agree with Cliff.

watch the this video and how the ignition switch works. This is not a Corvette, but GM didn't change the steering column design very much for these year of cars.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Steve Fontaine
Heel & Toe

actually a few of the videos linked to this one helped as well. they showed me the process of getting down to the core of the steering column. im going to have to watch these like 100 times before i even try this.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 C4 V.A.T. key stuck in ignition. cant turn vette off

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 V.A.T. key stuck in ignition. cant turn vette off