C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

FYI - harbor freight x-fer pump - less than $4

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default FYI - harbor freight x-fer pump - less than $4

just thought I'd pass this along - stopped by harbor freight (Daytona Beach) yesterday, and they had those cheap transfer pumps for $3.99 (could still use a 20% off and a free flashlight - ) that would come out to $3.19, and at that price, they are disposable. these are great for servicing the C4 differential.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:09 AM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Yep, that's one of the pumps I have used for my diff.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:57 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I use those too. They are disposable. After a couple of uses, the hose ends pop off and can make a mess. Easier to chuck and use a new one.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:46 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I have a few of those flating around.
i found i could stick some clear fuel line inside of the tube, and reduce the diameter.
Then it fits down the transmission dip stick tube.
It gets more fluid than the drain plug i installed can.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by 383vett
I use those too. They are disposable. After a couple of uses, the hose ends pop off and can make a mess. Easier to chuck and use a new one.
-
Old 06-26-2017, 03:06 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 AM
Joe C
Race Director

- you can say what you want. but HF does have it's place in the food chain - -
Old 06-26-2017, 08:51 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

LOL, that is funny, but for those tools you know you'll use like once or very few times I'll go to HF.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

My new favorite put-down line: "He's dumber than a sack of 18 Volt Cordless Hammers".
Old 06-26-2017, 02:22 PM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My Friend and I have a saying about Harbor Freight:

If you buy a tool from Harbor Freight for a specific task.. and you complete said task without breaking it... You made out in the deal... And any times you use the tool again is a luxury bonus...

That being said I think some of the tools have come a long way... I am currently loving my oilless air compressor I got from them recently... And their Pitsburg line of hand tools has a lifetime warranty and a ratchet I bought recently has really nice action...

In addition, my recent purchase of Maguire's Wax and Polishes put a shine on my Car that is getting massive compliments....
Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The thing about Harbor Freight is this:

In the olden days, it was a crap-shoot when you bought something there. Was this going to be an acceptable tool or a piece of trash? No one knew until they tried to use it.

Now, you go on the internet, look up the reviews and do a quick google search for it. You know instantly if it's worth the money or not.

So it's really easy to NOT get burned by the garbage tools they sell, and to only end up with the useful stuff.

Knowing the shortfalls of this pump, you just spend 8 dollars and buy 2. It gets you through at least this job and the next one
Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I have an engine hoist and stand, plus a tranny jack that I find to be decent tools.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Pneumatic slide whistle! Lol. I gotta have one! Off to HF!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:00 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks for the headsup on this OP. The hoses on these pumps harden and turn to junk quick. But they are invaluable when needed.

Thoroughly enjoyed the spoof ad! I'll throw my 2 cents on harbor freight. I agree with others that it is all about the reviews. I've got quite a few harbor freight tools and have only been burned a few times. Outside of the Vette I like to do a lot of home improvement and needed some strange jobs for one off tasks where buying a really expensive tool just wasn't worth it. I've had great luck with their chop saw, tile saw, router and other things as well. Some of which have seen a ton of use. I've had some bad experiences with some of their air tools leaking air right out of the box or failing quickly. They do tend to need more CFM than their name brand counterparts as well. I do find their sockets and wrenches inferior in fit/finish and durability.

I'll also say I have repowered lawn equipment with their Predator engines on 3 occasions. Sure they are for the most part a Chinese knockoff of a Honda motor which morally sucks, however they run well, seems to last and cost next to nothing.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Thanks for the headsup on this OP. The hoses on these pumps harden and turn to junk quick. But they are invaluable when needed.

Thoroughly enjoyed the spoof ad! I'll throw my 2 cents on harbor freight. I agree with others that it is all about the reviews. I've got quite a few harbor freight tools and have only been burned a few times. Outside of the Vette I like to do a lot of home improvement and needed some strange jobs for one off tasks where buying a really expensive tool just wasn't worth it. I've had great luck with their chop saw, tile saw, router and other things as well. Some of which have seen a ton of use. I've had some bad experiences with some of their air tools leaking air right out of the box or failing quickly. They do tend to need more CFM than their name brand counterparts as well. I do find their sockets and wrenches inferior in fit/finish and durability.

I'll also say I have repowered lawn equipment with their Predator engines on 3 occasions. Sure they are for the most part a Chinese knockoff of a Honda motor which morally sucks, however they run well, seems to last and cost next to nothing.
- the hoses are junk. one trick on the transfer pumps - those orange hoses are 50" long. I cut mine in half, and get double the usage before I toss the entire pump. about the only thing I use them for anymore is servicing the differential on my C4. they are what they are, and they do the job. so for $4 or $5 and 2 times usage, IMO you can't beat them.

another thing I buy in bulk at HF is those disposable paint brushes. they come in 1", 2", and 3" sizes. a box of 36 is around $8-$9. always keep several boxes around. you can't beat HF for stuff like that.

you have to understand HF for what HF is, and take it FWIW. I have a 1/2 drive, 18 inch breaker bar from harbor freight - it cost less than $10. I also have the equivalent snap-on breaker bar - IIRC, I paid around $60 for it 30 years ago (today it's over $100). one does not work any better than the other, and I have yet to destroy either one - go figure!

as my neighbor says, and , treat HF as a disposable tool store, and as I said before, HF does have it's place in the food chain, and use HF to your advantage. as they say, if all you have is lemons, make lemonade. about 8 years ago, I had to replace the oil pressure sensor on my (steel blue) 90 corvette. it can be done without tearing everything apart if you have the right tool. that tool being a 27mm service wrench. I did not have one. since being retired, I did not have access to L-M or WPAFB tool cribs, and nobody I knew had one, so I was force to buy one. I checked around and found an individual 27mm wrench for upwards of $40. long story short, HF, 15 piece metric set (with storage case) was $30 and with 20% off, out the door for around $25. to date, I've used the set several times, and IMO, it's paid for itself several times over. it's not fancy, but it does the job. -

Last edited by Joe C; 06-29-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To FYI - harbor freight x-fer pump - less than $4

Quick Reply: FYI - harbor freight x-fer pump - less than $4