Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

94 AC black goop of death

Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 94 AC black goop of death

Traded into this car 2 years ago and the AC worked fine that summer. Last year at the beginning of summer the AC did not work when I went to use it the first time. The shop replaced the orifice tube that had black sludge blocking the screen. No metal shavings just thick black sludge. Tube replaced and AC was good all summer. This year went to use AC and its not working again.

Did some research and found several article's stating that the black sludge is the nylon bearings in the compressor or something like that being ground into a fine powder and mixing with the oil and freon in the system. One site called it the black goop of death because if you see it in your system you need to replace everything firewall forward because a AC system flush will not get it all out. The goop as they called it is to thick to be flushed entirely from the condenser.

Looking for second opinion here from anyone that knows the AC system or has had to deal with this issue before. Local shop quoted $2K for a new system.

I'm also considering changing the radiator to something that cools better if I have to replace the condenser while I'm in there. Taking suggestions on a radiator as well.

Last edited by 94corvetteC4; 06-25-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:54 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would see if you are low on freon first and pull and clean your radiator. If you are going to replace it Dewitts are good.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-25-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:15 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Not low on Freon. Orifice tube is clogged again. Black sludge is a sign of a compressor coming apart so that is a clue that the compressor needs to be replaced. Need to know for sure if the system can be flushed or am I screwed and need a new firewall forward system.

Flushing radiator not an option. Looking for a larger better cooling radiator to replace the factory radiator.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
Not low on Freon. Orifice tube is clogged again. Black sludge is a sign of a compressor coming apart so that is a clue that the compressor needs to be replaced. Need to know for sure if the system can be flushed or am I screwed and need a new firewall forward system.

Flushing radiator not an option. Looking for a larger better cooling radiator to replace the factory radiator.
You should have done it last year but I would flush everything since you don't want any remaining debris to screw up your brand new compressor.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
You should have done it last year but I would flush everything since you don't want any remaining debris to screw up your brand new compressor.
You are 100% correct, it should have been done last year.

Since I don't know AC systems I took it to a shop to have them repair the AC, at least that's what I paid them to do. If they tell me all I need is an orifice tube then I take it that's all I need since they are the experts.

Since I have the issue repeating itself I obviously decided to not take it back to the shop that failed to repair it the first time and do some research on my own which is where I am right now.

I have learned that the system needs flushing or replacing so I'm asking here on the Corvette forum if anyone knows for sure what rout I'm going to have to take so that it can be repaired this time.

I don't want to pull it all out and replace everything then find out later that I had an option that would have allowed me to replace the compressor and flush the rest of the system and saved me a bunch of time and money. I have seen the flush systems used and they look very basic, is their a system out there like a machine that is much more powerful that can get all the black stuff out of the AC system without tearing it all out.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=9172
Old 06-25-2017, 10:39 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
Traded into this car 2 years ago and the AC worked fine that summer. Last year at the beginning of summer the AC did not work when I went to use it the first time. The shop replaced the orifice tube that had black sludge blocking the screen. No metal shavings just thick black sludge. Tube replaced and AC was good all summer. This year went to use AC and its not working again.

Did some research and found several article's stating that the black sludge is the nylon bearings in the compressor or something like that being ground into a fine powder and mixing with the oil and freon in the system. One site called it the black goop of death because if you see it in your system you need to replace everything firewall forward because a AC system flush will not get it all out. The goop as they called it is to thick to be flushed entirely from the condenser.

Looking for second opinion here from anyone that knows the AC system or has had to deal with this issue before. Local shop quoted $2K for a new system.

I'm also considering changing the radiator to something that cools better if I have to replace the condenser while I'm in there. Taking suggestions on a radiator as well.
Sorry to hear about this potentially really expensive problem. Do you think there were any signs that this was a sludge problem and not the typical low on freon/leak in the system issue? Was the compressor still firing on and off as usual (w/o cold air of course)?

My AC isn't working right now so I'm wondering. thanks

Last edited by jay23ls; 06-25-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 AC black goop of death

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 AC black goop of death