C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Emergency hood release recent threads??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I'll take that as a NO on the tool you can't figure out how to use and can't give away?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Same idea as metal cables, but I used large plastic cable ties. Probably not as strong, but adequate, cheaper, won't damage paint and will last in most climates. Agree too clean out old grease from latches and replace with new. And grease original release cable.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:28 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
I'll take that as a NO on the tool you can't figure out how to use and can't give away?
With this response, it shows you are not only an expert in the use of this tool (in your opinion) it shows you are an expert on being a "tool" also! Congrats!
Old 07-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Renfield
Drifting

With this response, it shows you are not only an expert in the use of this tool (in your opinion) it shows you are an expert on being a "tool" also! Congrats!
Name calling? Nice. You should hurry back to the playground little man. You need a sandbox break.

Tell me the story again about how YOU can't use the tool without scratching your paint, therefor no one else can.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 AM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

About 2 weeks ago my driver side latch wouldn't release. I thought the cable had broke but in the end it was just that the plastic piece the cable goes in jumped out of the notch. I put it back like its supposed to be and all is well again.

I made the tool with a 24" piece of 3/16 steel rod. I bent it in my vise. One end I bent 1" down measured back 18" and bent the remaining length up. I measured from the 1" bend back 13" and marked the rod with a sharpie. This was all per the instructions I read on line.

I opened the driver door, inserted the rod under the hood so that the black mark lined up with the end of the windshield molding and had the hood opened in less than a minute.

I do plan on making the emergency release cables in the future. For now the tool I made rides behind the driver seat.

Last edited by 94corvetteC4; 07-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

A good compromise might be to make one of the rods mentioned and then give it a coat of PlatiDip or cover with some thin walled tubing. That would prevent scratches if that is a concern. Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:19 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Joe C5 C2
A good compromise might be to make one of the rods mentioned and then give it a coat of PlatiDip or cover with some thin walled tubing. That would prevent scratches if that is a concern. Just a thought.
That's a great idea! That would eliminate the possibilty of it scratching the paint. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Name calling? Nice. You should hurry back to the playground little man. You need a sandbox break.

Tell me the story again about how YOU can't use the tool without scratching your paint, therefor no one else can.

Amazing...simply amazing!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Renfield
Drifting

That's a great idea! That would eliminate the possibilty of it scratching the paint. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
No, YOU could STILL scratch the paint.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

No, YOU could STILL scratch the paint.
You're obviously a disturbed individual and have quite a few issues.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
This also a very good time to clean and liberally lubricate the entire assembly, my latch was so dry and full of dried white grease, that it wouldn't move freely at all.
I'd bet that 99% of hood release failures occur from this; stiff, dried up grease, latches. When it's cleaned and lubed the hood can be released w/a pinky. That is some low stress on the cables and mechanism. When I bought my car the latches were dry and the release was stiff...but not alarmingly so. Still, I cleaned and lubed them both and now a pinky can do it.

It's like most maintenance; if people did it we wouldn't have threads about breaking into hoods, overheating engines, etc.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw this on eBay this morning on an 84...this guy could have used this thread maybe?
Old 07-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Old 07-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

I guess we could add "sawzall" to the list of emergency hood release tools...and I love how he tried a hammer first, but that didn't work!

Last edited by Edv92c4; 07-09-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:45 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by belairbrian
I used 12" black vinyl coated steel leaders from bass pro (stock # 215703)

I took the clip and swivel off. Then the loop slides into the existing cable clip

I tried to take a pic of the end by the wipers but it doesn't show up.
Nice. But, be sure the cable will be pulling on the latch release lever itself, and not only the retaining clip. Tugging on the clip will probably not be as reliable.

Live well,

SJW
Old 07-10-2017, 02:57 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
Nice. But, be sure the cable will be pulling on the latch release lever itself, and not only the retaining clip. Tugging on the clip will probably not be as reliable.

Live well,

SJW
It's actually pulling the same as the cable
Old 12-23-2020, 02:53 AM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I'd bet that 99% of hood release failures occur from this; stiff, dried up grease, latches. When it's cleaned and lubed the hood can be released w/a pinky. That is some low stress on the cables and mechanism. When I bought my car the latches were dry and the release was stiff...but not alarmingly so. Still, I cleaned and lubed them both and now a pinky can do it.

It's like most maintenance; if people did it we wouldn't have threads about breaking into hoods, overheating engines, etc.
Sorry for the necro bump but I thought this thread was the most appropriate. Well...you already guessed what happened! Didn't think this would happen so soon considering the ease of opening the hood. Poor attempt of making a "hoodie slimjim" tool out of some 3/16" rod I had laying around with numerous failed attempts to unlatch from the door jamb. The rod material was too soft as the rod would twist under tension. Managed to get the hood unlatched by stopping wipers at vertical and fishing for the the latch from the base of the wiper arm. Not my pic, marked up for representation of angle...

Interim fix was to use .040" stainless wire twisted affixed to latch in the same manner as "emergency cables" until I can procure a new release cable.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:22 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396
Sorry for the necro bump but I thought this thread was the most appropriate. Well...you already guessed what happened! Didn't think this would happen so soon considering the ease of opening the hood. Poor attempt of making a "hoodie slimjim" tool out of some 3/16" rod I had laying around with numerous failed attempts to unlatch from the door jamb. The rod material was too soft as the rod would twist under tension. Managed to get the hood unlatched by stopping wipers at vertical and fishing for the the latch from the base of the wiper arm. Not my pic, marked up for representation of angle...

Interim fix was to use .040" stainless wire twisted affixed to latch in the same manner as "emergency cables" until I can procure a new release cable.
The tool I bought from Eckler's works a treat. Still sits unnoticed behind my seat. Bonus is, no C4 savvy thieves can pop my hood. Since I actually drive my C4 daily, and pond scum walks free among us, that is a concern.

When my hood DID jam (on a trip to Tail of the Dragon!!) it was because the clip holding the cable in place broke off. Everything was lubed and it opened with a pinky until it did not. So that finally puts me in the coveted one percent, according to Tom.

That being the case, I'll be upgrading to a ZR-1 any day now.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

The tool I bought from Eckler's works a treat. Still sits unnoticed behind my seat. Bonus is, no C4 savvy thieves can pop my hood. Since I actually drive my C4 daily, and pond scum walks free among us, that is a concern.

When my hood DID jam (on a trip to Tail of the Dragon!!) it was because the clip holding the cable in place broke off. Everything was lubed and it opened with a pinky until it did not. So that finally puts me in the coveted one percent, according to Tom.

That being the case, I'll be upgrading to a ZR-1 any day now.
Do you think low lives walk around looking for home made hood releases, LOL?

Quick Reply: Emergency hood release recent threads??