84 A/C system wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:00 PM
bnnnboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 84 A/C system wiring

Afternoon all,
I've been tracking down a problem with the cooling fan on my '84 that's been causing it to run all the time, even with the A/C off and the engine cold and not running. The ground side of the fan control relay coil is getting a constant ground, even with the coolant temp sensor and both A/C pressure switches unplugged. I think I found the problem (a wire nut tying a wire near the A/C compressor to ground) but was wondering if someone had an electrical wiring diagram for the A/C system and where the cooling fan relay circuit ties in (I'm assuming the low pressure switch). I have the diagram for the fan relay circuit, but can't find the A/C system.
Thanks,
Reed
Old 07-03-2017, 11:35 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Sounds like previous owner grounded out fan.Undo the wire nut to ground and drive the car. Fan should come on @235.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:04 AM
bnnnboy
Advanced

That's probably a good idea to verify that the temp sensor works since I just replaced it (old one had broken and was partially melted to a header). I think my current plan is to wire a relay in parallel between the high pressure A/C switch and the compressor, and use the relay to close the ground when the compressor turns on, ensuring the fan comes on when the A/C comes on. It's a more complicated solution, but it restores the full function of the cooling fan.
Thanks,
Reed
Old 07-04-2017, 09:17 AM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

The cooling fan relay is located on the left side inner wheel well
Old 07-04-2017, 09:35 AM
bnnnboy
Advanced

I mean wiring an additional relay (the cooling fan relay is working fine) to emulate the A/C switch in the bottom of the attached diagram for the cooling fan.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by bnnnboy
I mean wiring an additional relay (the cooling fan relay is working fine) to emulate the A/C switch in the bottom of the attached diagram for the cooling fan.
Why do you need an additional relay? Your diagram is correct. You only need one relay. Is there some confusion about the a/c pressure switch in your compressor? It's NOT the "high pressure safety cut-out switch".

The a/c pressure switch is located on the top left (drivers) side of the compressor, and has a "pinch" style connector.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 07-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 AM
bnnnboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Why do you need an additional relay? Your diagram is correct. You only need one relay. Is there some confusion about the a/c pressure switch in your compressor? It's NOT the "high pressure safety cut-out switch".

The a/c pressure switch is located on the top left (drivers) side of the compressor, and has a "pinch" style connector.

For whatever reason the compressor on this car does not have that switch. My guess is the compressor was replaced at some point with a non-exact match that doesn't have that switch which is why someone tied the wire to ground with a wirenut. I hate having to splice into the good wiring to put in a relay, but short of replacing the compressor (unnecessary and expensive), a relay is the best way I can think of to restore the function. I'm open to suggestions, though.
Thanks,
Reed
Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 PM
bnnnboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy

Appreciate the photo, it's the first I've seen of the elusive switch. I double-checked my compressor and there appears to be a flat and snap ring, like maybe it has a port for such a switch, but the switch/connection itself is not there. I got the relay wired in this weekend and it seems to be working well. Not the tidiest fix, but it works.
Thanks,
Reed
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 84 A/C system wiring

Quick Reply: 84 A/C system wiring