C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Power effects side exhaust on a 93 rag top

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:08 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Take a look at the 1st definition and ask yourself why you posted this? Trying to fit in with the haters? Or...impress them with your worldly knowledge of "everything Corvette"?

As I posted above, I don't have delusions of power gains. For me, as with the C3, side pipes are about looks. For that matter, much of "Corvette" is about looks (considering the restrictions of traffic laws). So, lighten up every once in awhile. Try to understand all things Corvette and all generations.

Don't post ever negative thought that comes into your head.
Does fitting in with the haters or impressing them pay money?

I'll try understand it more in future. Perhaps one can have the best of all worlds. A corvette body with a recording of the noise it could make with a supercharged V8 and a 4 cylinder engine that gets it going. Saves gas, no tickets and on a slow run, gives the advertisement of speed. Sound like a win?

So be a cheerleader even when the team is losing badly? OK. I'll try to be more conscious to spare someone's feelings in future.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
For that matter, much of "Corvette" is about looks (considering the restrictions of traffic laws).
Maybe you could be right. Maybe the comment that there are a bunch of old men trying to give the image of youth, vitality, virility, etc, etc by buying fast looking cars for "paper tigers" to impress the youth that don't know better? That would explain the more "waxer" and less performance oriented ideas? Maybe it's me and I can't understand aesthetics and looks so I tend towards the performance end which is more quantifiable?
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Espy1949
really guy? Keep your 2 cents to yourself
Answering an OP's question: 1 or 2 paragraphs
Objecting to rants off-topic: 1/2 paragraphs and head-banging!

Sticking up for what's being questioned
ONLY to be dissed for that too: Priceless!
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I like the looks of side pipes or "Lake pipes" as they used to be called. I like the sound as well. I put myself in the run better,faster first, looks second though. That's just me and I do enjoy the look of a great looking vette/car first crowd. Chrome don't get you home... but it sure is pretty. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Dennis Coppock
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side exhaust for 85

Originally Posted by Espy1949
Hey vette owners, i've got a set of power effects side pipes on my ride. the look is awesome and the sound is deadly. just wondering if anyone has them and have you had the car on a dyno to see the increase in h.p. the claim from power effects is 10 percent, but without doing an independent test how do you really know ? they look awesome and fit pretty nicely where the rocker panels once were. I toyed with the idea of removing them and installing a stock system but wouldn't want to sacrifice the 10 percent increase if in fact that's true.
Where can I get a set?????
Old 02-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Dennis Coppock
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Effects side exhaust....can you still buy them?

Or does someone have a set they would sell??????

Dennis
Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Geezus Aklim....how many times do you have to repeat the same point? Let's have a look...
Originally Posted by aklim
It would be if they guaranteed 10% increase. Unfortunately, I have my doubts.
Maybe it is rare and not produced because people have wised up from the 10% power gains claims and found that all they do is decrease the ground clearance for little to no gain. Maybe the only way to gain 10% is if we do the "banana in the exhaust trick" in Beverly Hills Cop
Maybe because it lowers ground clearance with no real benefit although they have wild claims?

That might be it's only claim to fame. Making the noise to give the illusion of power. I believe it comes close to the 2nd definition of "poser" in the urban dictionary "who tries to fit in but with exaggeration" or what I would call a sheep in wolf's clothing.
That would explain the more "waxer" and less performance oriented ideas? Maybe it's me and I can't understand aesthetics and looks so I tend towards the performance end which is more quantifiable?
Saves gas, no tickets and on a slow run, gives the advertisement of speed. Sound like a win?

So be a cheerleader even when the team is losing badly? OK. I'll try to be more conscious to spare someone's feelings in future.
I didn't' count...but that's a lot.

Look man, it's NOT about the actual performance. There are fast cars that feel slow and boring -I had one. It's about the experience it provides and for these guys looks and sound is part of that. I get it...sound is a huge part of the experience, for me.

Performance has gone so bonkers that it's virtually boring itself now. Another 600 hp production car? Yawn. So build a car that provides and experience you love...and love it. That's what these guys are doing. You should try it.
The following users liked this post:
GREGGPENN (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Geezus Aklim....how many times do you have to repeat the same point? .....

Look man, it's NOT about the actual performance. There are fast cars that feel slow and boring -I had one. It's about the experience it provides and for these guys looks and sound is part of that. I get it...sound is a huge part of the experience, for me.

Performance has gone so bonkers that it's virtually boring itself now. Another 600 hp production car? Yawn. So build a car that provides and experience you love...and love it. That's what these guys are doing. You should try it.
What a great point to make! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Dennis Coppock
Where can I get a set? Or...Does someone have a set they would sell????

Dennis
These sidepipes were discontinued in 1993. One of these days I might sell my set (bought/installed for the reason Tom posted above).

Until then, I remember seeing a set/two advertised in the C4Parts forum in 2017. The price was high but maybe they weren't motivated to sell OR realize they are getting very rare. I looked for a set back in 2005. It took until 2007 before a found a nice set with nice covers!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Agreed with the first and considered them for my car. Then I read from Ken (R.I.P).who had a set on his highly modified '87. The flow restrictions due to the sharp turns of the plumbing reduced engine power. He also lamented decreased ground clearance removed them.

Ken was a font of accurate Corvette knowledge for those of us who came to 'know' him; his death, a loss to our community. Based upon his firsthand experience, I chose real performance over looks.
I'm going to burn in hell, but you said it. Were you choosing "real performance over looks" with that Shinoda body kit?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Agreed with the first and considered them for my car. Then I read from Ken (R.I.P).who had a set on his highly modified '87. The flow restrictions due to the sharp turns of the plumbing reduced engine power. He also lamented decreased ground clearance removed them.

Ken was a font of accurate Corvette knowledge for those of us who came to 'know' him; his death, a loss to our community. Based upon his firsthand experience, I chose real performance over looks.
Fountain or font? I'm trying to remember who Ken is? Please refresh my memory? Was the thread about HIS SE sidepipes in this forum? What was his username?

Gotta say I'm a bit more curious and a bit less convinced about how restrictive they are. "Turbo" muffers...which are supposed to be performance make the same 360-deg worth of turns. Are turns less "bad" than I [also] originally would have thought? Plus, the turns in the SE sidepipes have a much bigger radius than a Turbo muffler.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:15 PM
1990steelbluec4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same exhaust on my car the side effects and clearly in the picture it says that there is remote tuning from the cockpit for this exhaust I'm wondering if anybody knows how to do that or what I need to do to be able to do the remote tuning?

Old 11-23-2020, 05:41 PM
1990steelbluec4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey I'm getting ready to redo my rocker panels for my side effects exhaust where did you get your Chrome tips?
Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2

Thank god for new chrome, fiberglass/resin, and white primer.

Quick Reply: Power effects side exhaust on a 93 rag top