C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Update to ZR1 or C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:28 PM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT4
I drove C4's for a solid 15 years...I now own 2 of the best C6s GM ever made....will not go back to a C4. As I get older, they get less comfortable to get in and out of, and road trips just sucked.
if i had the funds, i would have a C6 ZR-1...oh boy do they look good!!!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

C6 ZR1 is still King IMHO. Of course the C7s are better cars in many ways, but when you take into account the performance and rareness of the car, plus the absolutely gorgeous widebody simple classic lines.....I just think it's a combo that can't be matched. The C7 Z06 is awesome, but they've already built like 30000 of them.....there are only about 4700 ZR1s.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:43 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Again, I am into new gizmos....
It's strange how people can view things so differently. The gizmotry on the newer models is a total turnoff for me. I hate it.

I see threads here on the nuances of computerized HVAC panels and cleaning buttons and all that stuff and I just wonder how people can keep up on it all.

I do like the powertrain gizmotics, because they add power and drivability. (Indeed, they unlock power that was always there.. You just couldn't get to it!) But the rest of it, for a car I'm going to keep? Holy crap, it's a lot.

I like the early ones for just that reason. It's got enough to be useful, but not enough to have me chasing buttons and modules and stuff to the point it becomes oppressive.

But others see it exactly the opposite way, and that stuff makes the car for them. They don't want a ride without it.

Car communities are incredibly diverse groups because of differences like this, I suppose. It's all subjective, and there's no "right" way to do it.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Personally, I dislike the looks even if it was the best Corvette ever made. So a C5 is a non-starter for me. Pure aesthetics.

I also wouldn't consider a C4 with the hideous afterthought high center mount brake light. Pretty picky, right? It's easy to be picky when you couldn't care less what 100 other people think. Or even one.

Which is why I don't post opinion questions like this one.

Considering GM still can't get it right in 2017 (how about that A8 tranny? LOL), I wouldn't hold my breath that the C5 is superior to the C4 in any way. Just a bit younger, and a lot more complicated.
Last time I bought a new car was back in 91. I bought it at the end of the year because they were cheaper then and the 92 was exactly the same. Never even asked about the color (it was red). I honestly don't understand aesthetics. In our house, I pick out the paint based on the characteristics I want. When the painter asked what color, I just had the wife talk that part. I'd had been fine with white walls and nothing on it but she wants color and stuff.

Exactly. Here is my thought. At work, you pay me and it behooves me to care about what you think of me. Off the clock, I could care less if you like me. You like me, you hang around me. If not, I'm good too. Kinda why I can laugh at mark970 for announcing that he is ignoring me. WGAS? He don't write my check, his displeasure don't mean squat.

If I were getting a C7, I'd be looking for ways to make it better. Complication doesn't scare me or I'd be back to the horse and buggy. It gets lame, shoot it. Feed it hay and keep moving.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:46 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
It's strange how people can view things so differently. The gizmotry on the newer models is a total turnoff for me. I hate it.

I see threads here on the nuances of computerized HVAC panels and cleaning buttons and all that stuff and I just wonder how people can keep up on it all.

I do like the powertrain gizmotics, because they add power and drivability. (Indeed, they unlock power that was always there.. You just couldn't get to it!) But the rest of it, for a car I'm going to keep? Holy crap, it's a lot.

I like the early ones for just that reason. It's got enough to be useful, but not enough to have me chasing buttons and modules and stuff to the point it becomes oppressive.

But others see it exactly the opposite way, and that stuff makes the car for them. They don't want a ride without it.

Car communities are incredibly diverse groups because of differences like this, I suppose. It's all subjective, and there's no "right" way to do it.
I'm with you, I do NOT like all the electronic toys in new cars. I like simplicity, which is part of the appeal of the C6 ZR1 to me. Analog displays, simple interior (I actually really like it). Sold mine to get a Z/28, which is even more simple and raw and I love it (though I'm already trying to figure out how to get another ZR1 - man do I miss that awesome power!)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:48 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by z06vettewannabe
(though I'm already trying to figure out how to get another ZR1 )
My plan is to stalk Cool Runnings and steal his.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by confab
I guess what I would need to know is whether it is a huge POTENTIAL problem or a REAL problem and what the odds are. If you say there are 500 systems and all could fail therefore I am scared of it, well, you are talking potential. OTOH, if it has multiple documented failures and is highly unreliable, I'll pass. Kinda like if I go date a girl. I could marry her and she POTENTIALLY COULD become a nutcase say 20 years from now. OTOH, if she is already seeing a shrink weekly because she IS a nutcase today, pass.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by mark970

i'm not even sure why people are so drawn to the Zr-1...Def not worth the extra $35k price to buy new (yeah they were $75k in 1995)

this is Car-n-Driver test report....

"In our recent test of the '95 Corvette LT1, the car ran to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 103 mph. Compare that with our last test of the ZR-1, in May 1993: 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds, a quarter-mile time of 13.1 seconds at 111 mph"

sorry, I'm not seeing the big deal..not when comparing the money you pay

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...latform-page-4
It's difficult to compare one road test with another given the different conditions one can encounter. It should be noted that C&D tested a 96 Grand Sport a year later than your attached article and ended up with the exact same 5.1/13.7 times with its 330 HP engine. I can tell you having driven both the LT1 and the ZR-1 side by side that there is a significant difference in performance feel from one to the other.

You should also note that people who complain about the potential high cost of maintaining a ZR-1 engine may not recognize that C2 big block cars are even more expensive to maintain than a ZR-1 - yet it doesn't deter the C2s from attaining high prices in the market.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bb62
It's difficult to compare one road test with another given the different conditions one can encounter. It should be noted that C&D tested a 96 Grand Sport a year later than your attached article and ended up with the exact same 5.1/13.7 times with its 330 HP engine. I can tell you having driven both the LT1 and the ZR-1 side by side that there is a significant difference in performance feel from one to the other.

You should also note that people who complain about the potential high cost of maintaining a ZR-1 engine may not recognize that C2 big block cars are even more expensive to maintain than a ZR-1 - yet it doesn't deter the C2s from attaining high prices in the market.
Question. While I don't doubt there is a difference in power, do you think that it is worth the ZR-1 premium? IOW, can I spend less than 35K and make my LT1 exceed what the LT5 can do?

I think part of the problem of maintenance is that there are few mechanics who can do more than throw parts at a problem. Probably even fewer who will work on the ZR-1 motor. So even if I were willing to spend the money, I would have to travel to someplace several states away which adds to the issue. That or you hope the mechanic gets lucky when he throws parts at it and finds the problem before your wallet empties.
The following users liked this post:
Retired Mechanic (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:40 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
What would be the best bang/ fun for the buck?
If you have to ask.. easy answer is C6.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Retired Mechanic
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The C4 ZR1 may be the most underrated Car , in the Sports Car field , ever , cant truly explain why cauze I test drive a 94 resently e the torque and one with the Car feel was insane!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Retired Mechanic
Racer

Originally Posted by z06vettewannabe
Sold mine to get a Z/28, which is even more simple and raw and I love it ....
I feel ya brother I too have da 5th gen Z/28 and darn he runs like a crazy Bull yaa hoo.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Retired Mechanic
Racer

I think part of the problem of maintenance is that there are few mechanics who can do more than throw parts at a problem. Probably even fewer who will work on the ZR-1 motor. So even if I were willing to spend the money, I would have to travel to someplace several states away which adds to the issue. That or you hope the mechanic gets lucky when he throws parts at it and finds the problem before your wallet empties.
I do feel ya brother as my search still goes on e nobody in my parts working on this 90-95 ZR1 , only dude I know of is mechanic way up north in Chicago by da name Mark Haybeck so ***** ya gota ship Z several states away just to do sservice or I pull out my old 70s wrenches again e mess up my fingernails.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Retired Mechanic
I do feel ya brother as my search still goes on e nobody in my parts working on this 90-95 ZR1 , only dude I know of is mechanic way up north in Chicago by da name Mark Haybeck so ***** ya gota ship Z several states away just to do sservice or I pull out my old 70s wrenches again e mess up my fingernails.
Parts are also an issue
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Where's the OP?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Retired Mechanic
Racer

Parts are also an issue
If they even make C4 ZR1 Parts anymore?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Retired Mechanic
If they even make C4 ZR1 Parts anymore?
IDK but I heard NLA a lot. More and more and I don't have a ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To Update to ZR1 or C6?

Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

IDK but I heard NLA a lot. More and more and I don't have a ZR1.
Once you enter ownership, its almost imperative to become a ZR1NetRegistry participant. Once you do, theres worlds of opportunities in obtaining parts... pretty much anything you need can be had. Very seldom is there hard parts needed for these engines.... theyre bulletproof... You can get gaskets, injectors, starters, alternators, and really anything maintenance related. Nobody who can turn a wrench should be scared away from a C4 ZR1...I did all my own work on mine when I had it. It really aint that big of a deal...Other than the LT5.... the rest of the car is just C4.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Where's the OP?

Lurking...
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Once you enter ownership, its almost imperative to become a ZR1NetRegistry participant. Once you do, theres worlds of opportunities in obtaining parts... pretty much anything you need can be had. Very seldom is there hard parts needed for these engines.... theyre bulletproof... You can get gaskets, injectors, starters, alternators, and really anything maintenance related. Nobody who can turn a wrench should be scared away from a C4 ZR1...I did all my own work on mine when I had it. It really aint that big of a deal...Other than the LT5.... the rest of the car is just C4.
The poeple who shout about "no parts" are mostly people who don't have ZR-1's! The guys who want to make it work, make it work.

Quick Reply: Update to ZR1 or C6?