C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bose radio in a 93 ragtop

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Espy1949
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bose radio in a 93 ragtop

Hi vette owners, I recently realized that the speakers on the driver side seem weak compared to the passenger side, as a matter of fact the rear ds seems inoperative while the front ds has output but not a lot of bass. has anyone ever experienced this type of problem and if so what was the fix
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 PM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Espy1949
Hi vette owners, I recently realized that the speakers on the driver side seem weak compared to the passenger side, as a matter of fact the rear ds seems inoperative while the front ds has output but not a lot of bass. has anyone ever experienced this type of problem and if so what was the fix
I will have my Bose amp repair videos online shortly...look for the thread. and yes this is VERY common...the amps go bad 100% of the time. they are repairable
Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Espy1949
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bose radio in a 93 ragtop

Thanks Mark 970, I have a replacement speaker complete with amp. before I get too out of hand I think i'll remove the right side front and plug it into the left side and see if the same problem exists. I guess my concern was that maybe the signal from the main unit might be weak, is it strictly the speaker amps that control the output to each speaker or are there individual outputs to each speaker amp from the main unit in addition to there being individual amps?
Old 07-16-2017, 11:03 PM
mark970
Drifting

There is another device used between the head unit and the speakers...it's located in one of the rear floor compartments but i'm not sure how often that goes bad...for both my C4's it was the amps. One of them was lacking bass but it was loud and the other had almost no sound from the rears at all. i will have the videos online in about 15min
The following users liked this post:
Espy1949 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mark970
There is another device used between the head unit and the speakers...it's located in one of the rear floor compartments but i'm not sure how often that goes bad...for both my C4's it was the amps. One of them was lacking bass but it was loud and the other had almost no sound from the rears at all. i will have the videos online in about 15min
On my '92 the CDM was bad and one front amp was bad. The head unit also did not play the CDs. I replaced the head unit with a double DIN pioneer, bypassed the CDM with a pre-made wiring harness and replaced bad front amp. After a week or two the other amp got very noisy and had to replace it too. Now it all sounds very good.
The following users liked this post:
Espy1949 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM
mark970
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimLentz
On my '92 the CDM was bad and one front amp was bad. The head unit also did not play the CDs. I replaced the head unit with a double DIN pioneer, bypassed the CDM with a pre-made wiring harness and replaced bad front amp. After a week or two the other amp got very noisy and had to replace it too. Now it all sounds very good.
i just got my repair videos online last night...oh boy that was a lot of work. on my coupe i also had a non-functioning Cd...it cost me $145 to have the internal mechanism replaced to a modern one...my 92 vert i just bought, the CD works so i was very relieved but the rear speakers didnt work (hence the DIY videos)

Get notified of new replies

To Bose radio in a 93 ragtop

Quick Reply: Bose radio in a 93 ragtop