Right Turn Signal Bulb Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Right Turn Signal Bulb Issue

Having an odd issue with my right turn signal. When I engage hazard flashers, both sides blink just fine. Left turn signal works as expected (although in my opinion it flashes a little slowly), but right turn signal doesn't flash-it is just always on. I can confirm the lights all light up for right turn, but they don't blink. Additionally, the front blinker light is considerably dimmer on the right (passenger) side than on the driver's side. Also, when I turn the headlights on the right side blinker comes on and stays on the entire time the headlights are on.

I have replaced the bulb in the front, and the brand new one is also quite dim. My next thought is a poor ground, perhaps? Anyone out there have this issue before? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

would this not be something as simple as the $10 flasher? they are typically located either on the firewall or on the steering column (in GM vehicles)...not sure at all for your generation C4

this?
http://www.zip-corvette.com/57-82-tu...iABEgIe3fD_BwE

Last edited by mark970; 07-18-2017 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:45 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by mark970
would this not be something as simple as the $10 flasher? they are typically located either on the firewall or on the steering column (in GM vehicles)...not sure at all for your generation C4

this?
http://www.zip-corvette.com/57-82-tu...iABEgIe3fD_BwE
I wouldn't think so - a ground issue is a maybe but I'd likely first do a socket. A socket replacement is inexpensive and easily done. You start chasing grounds etc it's just as easy to create more issues. If the OP's issue is that single socket/lamp I believe the socket get's first priority.
Bfenty (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 AM
mark970
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I wouldn't think so - a ground issue is a maybe but I'd likely first do a socket. A socket replacement is inexpensive and easily done. You start chasing grounds etc it's just as easy to create more issues. If the OP's issue is that single socket/lamp I believe the socket get's first priority.
thats not a bad idea...i had a fog lamp that didnt work...i used a multimeter and everything individually had power, even the socket...but NOT when connected to the car's harness.
The problem?? a bent prong on the male side of the connector. simple and free fix!!!

flashers do and will go bad though and they arent expensive...but they do sometimes require a little work to replace (depending on where it's located on any particular car)...when i hear "blinker problems" (slow, dim, not flashing at the same speed, always on, not on) my first go-to response is flasher????

Last edited by mark970; 07-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Bfenty (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

the socket didn't LOOK bad...would that cause a dim light, if the socket were bad?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

More info-I swapped bulbs between sides, and now NEITHER side flashes, and the right side is still dim. I also spliced a new ground for the dim bulb, and it's still dim. So not a grounding issue for sure, and not a bulb issue. Hazards still blink. I'm pretty sure it's the relay.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM
mark970
Drifting

Without over thinking it, my money has been on the blinker flasher.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
More info-I swapped bulbs between sides, and now NEITHER side flashes, and the right side is still dim. I also spliced a new ground for the dim bulb, and it's still dim. So not a grounding issue for sure, and not a bulb issue. Hazards still blink. I'm pretty sure it's the relay.
replace both sides with new bulbs and then flasher if needed
Old 07-18-2017, 11:34 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
replace both sides with new bulbs and then flasher if needed
flasher was the issue. Replaced that and all the problems went away. Thanks for all the help.

For anyone looking to do this:
The relay is under passenger hush panel, on the aluminum piece just above the transmission tunnel. There’s a blue and purple wire running to it, it’s right next to the ECM. Super easy to swap, did it in the oreillys parking lot. Hope this helps someone else
Crossed Flags Fan (02-25-2018)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:01 AM
mark970
Drifting

flasher was the issue. Replaced that and all the problems went away. Thanks for all the help.

The relay is under passenger hush panel, on the aluminum piece just above the transmission tunnel. There’s a blue and purple wire running to it, it’s right next to the ECM. Super easy to swap, did it in the oreillys parking lot. Hope this helps someone else
glad to have helped
Bfenty (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mark970
glad to have helped
yeah thanks man. you were right all along lol.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

one issue I'm still having, and this could be unrelated-the right turn signal bulb in my gauge cluster still lights up and stays on when I turn on the headlights-not sure what that's about.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM
mark970
Drifting

one issue I'm still having, and this could be unrelated-the right turn signal bulb in my gauge cluster still lights up and stays on when I turn on the headlights-not sure what that's about.
you have the first generation cluster...i know nothing about them but if those cars have a BCM...i would suggest unplugging it and cleaning the connectors then plugging it back in (i had a similar issue with my late model C4 cluster and just simply cleaning the connection solved my problem. in fact the reason i got my 95 so cheap was THAT problem...the seller didnt know what was wrong or how to fix it so he "gave" me the car for $3k....it was a FREE fix, but did take me about 4hr's omg the BCM is tucked away very nicely
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 AM
mark970
Drifting

but i'm not sure your car has all the computer stuff the LT1 cars have...you might need to simply clean corrosion from the bulb sockets (again excuse my ignorance..i dont know if your dash bulbs are board soldered or old school plug in type) but a corroded socket will def affect a bulb
Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

It's good that a flasher corrected the "blink" but you originally mentioned "dim" a couple times and that certainly is an indicator of other issues - now you mention maybe it's really not "all fixed" so back at it!!

Your issue it seems is still right side!

Which filament of the park/turn bulb is dim? I reread your original post and it certainly didn't and still I wouldn't think confined to a flasher issue.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

It's good that a flasher corrected the "blink" but you originally mentioned "dim" a couple times and that certainly is an indicator of other issues - now you mention maybe it's really not "all fixed" so back at it!!

Your issue it seems is still right side!

Which filament of the park/turn bulb is dim? I reread your original post and it certainly didn't and still I wouldn't think confined to a flasher issue.
crap, you're right-was so excited about the flasher working that I didn't even check the bulb! it is still dim, and the filament that is not flashing is the one closest to the base of the bulb. I've used 3 different bulbs in this socket, all confirmed to work in the LH side socket, so it's definitely not the bulb.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

check all of you lights to be sure they are on and working
Bfenty (07-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Right Turn Signal Bulb Issue

Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

crap, you're right-was so excited about the flasher working that I didn't even check the bulb! it is still dim, and the filament that is not flashing is the one closest to the base of the bulb. I've used 3 different bulbs in this socket, all confirmed to work in the LH side socket, so it's definitely not the bulb.
Wiggle the bulb in socket. Likely not connecting well
Bfenty (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Wiggle the bulb in socket. Likely not connecting well
All but the front right is working well. Wiggling does nothing.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 AM
mark970
Drifting

dumb question but when tested with a volt meter are you getting enough juice to the socket? i know you said you did electrical tests...

Quick Reply: Right Turn Signal Bulb Issue