Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 collectors edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:29 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

When the air quit blowing was the car cool and the system in auto? If the car reaches the set temperature the system turns down the blower fan.

I'm guessing your in the Montgomery area?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 PM
1965kyzer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huntsville area. As soon as you turn air on when you first start the car it will only blow the floor and defrost vents. Drive it for a while and eventually come out the face vents or it may never it's a 50/50 shot.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:52 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Old 07-25-2017, 12:16 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1965kyzer
Huntsville area. As soon as you turn air on when you first start the car it will only blow the floor and defrost vents. Drive it for a while and eventually come out the face vents or it may never it's a 50/50 shot.
This is a common 1996 issue not specific to your car. It can be fixed but the problem part is buried behind the dash therefore not easy to get to.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Dad3Sons
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

1965kyzer -

Check this thread. Page back to the 3rd page or so. The "air not blowing out the front vents" problem is somewhat unique to the 96's and due to a bad vacuum connector at the AC Programmer Module. Not an expensive fix, but a job to fix.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-problem.html

Joe C. In NorCal
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

The headlight issue is very cheap and not too hard to fix yourself. Do a search here for headlight gears. The a/c vents have been covered already. I'm also not sure about the wiper thing - it may be the controller in stalk, which is probably cheap but a bit of a pain to replace. Again I'd do a search here, since it may be a fairly common issue. The exhaust leak should be an easy and cheap fix either for you (if you have jack, jackstands, and don't mind getting dirty) or a shop.

The rough idle kind of depends. The first thing I'd do is check for any trouble codes. That may make it obvious what's wrong. The second thing I'd do is try to compare your car's idle to that of a known-good, stock LT1 C4 with an automatic (compare both in neutral and drive); just to make sure it's actually rougher than it should be. After that, it could be a lot of things from a dying O2 sensor (cheap and fairly simple to replace) to a bad valve in the rebuilt heads (not cheap or easy at all). If no codes, then it will be a fairly intensive process just to track down the cause. The Factory Service Manual can help with this. BTW, I wonder if it's possible that the bad vacuum connector for the HVAC vents could possibly cause a big enough leak to make the idle rough? Assuming no codes, it may be best to fix the a/c vent issue first and then reassess the idle.

It's a nice car at a nice price. It's definitely worth putting in the work!

Quick Reply: 1996 collectors edition