Cool video!
THANKS for taking the time to view it
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

mark970 very nice video well done

What camera and editing system do you use? The video quality is very good. I use an old Sony Cyber Shot and I edit on an old computer, the memory is bad so it make it hard to edit. I am using Windows Movie Maker.

I owned my Corvette since new and wow it is a lot more expensive

Last edited by Yukon Corleone; 07-23-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 PM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon Corleone
mark970 very nice video well done

What camera and editing system do you use? The video quality is very good. I use an old Sony Cyber Shot and I edit on an old computer, the memory is bad so it make it hard to edit. I am using Windows Movie Maker.

I owned my Corvette since new and wow it is a lot more expensive
hi and thanks. im new to all of this, i just use a gopro5 and gopro free software. its a lot of fun so far, but its also a lot of work
Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I did try out iMovie and Final Cut Pro X and both were much better than what I had but this was at our local library and I just did not have the time to edit plus I wasn’t sure what I was doing but both were much better to edit with.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:22 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon Corleone
I did try out iMovie and Final Cut Pro X and both were much better than what I had but this was at our local library and I just did not have the time to edit plus I wasn’t sure what I was doing but both were much better to edit with.
I use Magix. It's fairly user friendly and for the most part pretty cheap when it comes to editing software.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Well, just to be a little obstinate, as my STATISTICS prof would say: one (or two) examples does not a trend make!

I'm NOT implying the OP's video is misleading. In fact I agree...to a point. BUT, it glosses over the difference between operating costs of a well maintained Vette (like his are) and one where the new owner is faced with playing "catch-uip" with possibly decades of neglect, or worse...a car previously owned and "modified" by some "Bubba"!

And...in spite of my babying my 95/M6 Vette - i.e., frequent oil changes, fluid maintenance, brakes, etc., an inherent flaw (according to Bill Boudreau) in some ZF/M6 transmissions caused it to lo freeze up at 70 mph.

So! I guess with the caveat that unexpected ("stuff") happens, even to and especially to older cars, and especially if not properly maintained before it was sold to the new owner, then I too am OK with the video (AND, can echo a lot of what is presented therein.)

New buyers:

These cars had a 12 year run. They were a significant departure from the previous generation - many firsts introduced by the C4, and a significant advancement in several technical and handling aspects!
They are between 22 to 33 years old. Super low miles w/o maintenance can be even more troublesome than a very high mileage car!
There were 5 different engines, 3 transmissions, coupes, convertibles, ZR-1, pre and post '91 body styles, two (three?) dash/interior styles, 3 significant suspension packages, and numerous add-on options available: i.e., lots of options to consider!
Do your research to know what is available and what issues to be especially cognizant of, especially for the year/model you're considering for purchase.
It goes a long way if you're comfortable with and have tools to do much of your own wrenching, OR at least you have someone that IS to test drive and go over the car before purchasing, AND you make the purchase of a Factory Service Manual (aka FSM) as part of the car purchase!

And, IMO, an older car might best be considered as a "hobby" unto itself. In other words, PLAN on replacing worn out parts. And, it is a good idea to have alternative transportation, i.e., don't depend too much on it as a DD! Just sayin...
Old 07-24-2017, 12:46 PM
mark970
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

New buyers:

And, IMO, an older car might best be considered as a "hobby" unto itself. In other words, PLAN on replacing worn out parts. And, it is a good idea to have alternative transportation, i.e., don't depend too much on it as a DD! Just sayin...
i agree 100% and sure my video is specific to MY experience as i made sure both my cars were mechanically solid before buying them. yes i will eventually have breakdowns and repair costs but the point of my video was to explain the normal expenses such as registration, insurance, the "normal" PM things like brakes, fluids and wheels...it's just a video to provide some info, some things to consider and what i present is "at the very least one should expect to pay THIS much..."

i actually bought my cars and started my youtube channel as a hobby...and my goal is to inform and help new C4 Corvette owners...either directly or by providing them enough information to keep researching "their" specific problem or goal (and frankly, i'm learning a lot of this as i go as well...just to prove that with the right information and basic tools...just about anybody is capable of doing "something"). the information i offer on my channel will be shrugged off by seasoned owners and avid DIY'ers i know that...

it's all good, i know you weren't flaming me, but i did feel the need to elaborate

Last edited by mark970; 07-24-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:04 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I think it's a great topic. I was very interested in what this would cost when I bought mine, because there is a "Corvette premium" on some of this stuff. Avaliability was a concern. There's mucho weirdness that is unique to the C4. After you have it and you work through some of this stuff you stop worrying about it, but when you're looking or when you just bought one, it's a big issue.

20 & 30 year old cars are kind of a gamble anyway. I mean, something that old can have a 2K problem at the drop of a hat.. Or not. There's a gambling aspect to it all and people who can't accept that probably shouldn't be in the hobby.

It was such a concern when I got mine that I sat down to do something like Mark did here and the number I came up with to restore a ragged out 85 was about $6500 bucks, if the owner does all the work.

It seemed like a good price, and it didn't all have to come at once, so I just did it. But I know prices and "OMZ!! Will this be a money pit?" seem to dominate the general questions people post here when they first sign up. It's like a mechanical issue they can't figure out or they're wondering about costs and fishing for answers.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Here it is.. I did a thread on it at the time.

$ How Much to Fix Up a Junk C4? $

It's a big deal to people when they first get one.
The following users liked this post:
mark970 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
mark970
Drifting

Originally Posted by confab
Here it is.. I did a thread on it at the time.

$ How Much to Fix Up a Junk C4? $

It's a big deal to people when they first get one.
wow, thats impressive !! plus it was great to see some photos of your car other than grand canyon sized cracks in the fiberglass

i do try to help others, thats just my nature and thats exactly why i started my youtube channel...both to give me something to do and to help first-time buyers or people that may, up to this point...be afraid to try some DIY project. my cost analysis video is more specific to my situation but if i didnt make it clear, its about the "mandatory" expenses one should expect...if a person is buying it as a project, thats a whole different story.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Verbal history of the 92 C4 I purchased in April. I don't have service records as the owner died before I actually viewed/ test drove/ picked up the car from his son. His son didn't know where dad kept his records (I left it at that, he's got enough to deal with).

51,000 mile car
Family owned since new
Iowa car
Stored covered all winters
Always garaged
New tires, replaced three years ago
Brake job, once
Bose Gold CD repair
New windshield
Alternator replaced
A/C unit fixed to stock - R12
All fluids changed except rear differential
Interior - as new!
Drives like a new car!
Paint - mint except for a few paint chips ( gonna happen, period)
----------------------------------------------

Since ownership:

Locking gas cap failed - drilled out keyway
Power antenna failed - cleaned/ lubed (good to go)
Had passenger transaxle u-joints replaced - cost (too much $590), but included was a mechanical check of all the drive train important items)

Known issues - Targa roof needs new weather stripping (doesn't leak, but getting worn) otherwise everything works on the car. On a side note, the lift for the rear hatch is getting weak (I can live with that).

Car included: Sport Seats, FX3 (it works) 3:07 gears. Auto tranny (hey I compromised) and Bose Gold

Purchase price - $9.5k - maintenance for this year $590 + $57 for a oil change (good until next year)

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 07-24-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mark970
wow, thats impressive !! plus it was great to see some photos of your car other than grand canyon sized cracks in the fiberglass
No kidding.. OMZ.. *facepalm*

i do try to help others, thats just my nature and thats exactly why i started my youtube channel...both to give me something to do and to help first-time buyers or people that may, up to this point...be afraid to try some DIY project. my cost analysis video is more specific to my situation but if i didnt make it clear, its about the "mandatory" expenses one should expect...if a person is buying it as a project, thats a whole different story.
It's an issue, and particularly with corvettes because they're specialty and expensive. But it is even more of an issue with the C4 because it's the first, full generation with all the advanced gizmotry that makes them intimidating and potentially expensive to repair.

The carb guys with the previous generations don't have to deal with that to nearly the extent that the C4 on up guys do/will.

Quick Reply: How much do they (C4's) cost to own?