C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Buying a C4, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:01 PM
C4_bob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a C4, any advice?

Buying an '84 C4 with crossfire injection. Has some minor issues regarding one of the pop-ups and several partially-rotted/deteriorated rubber components in the engine as it hasn't been run in several years and has been stored outside for roughly five years. I've already been briefed by the current owner and have looked over the vehicle myself, as well as had my mechanic-trained brother-in-law inspect it as well, so I know what I'm getting into.
Aside from certain notes with that specific car, is there anything integral I should know about the '84 with the crossfire injection that I should know before/after purchasing?
For the record this is my first Corvette.

Last edited by C4_bob; 07-22-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 PM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

this is a restoration project?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:18 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes.

Right off the bat: Get a factory service manual or a subscription to alldatadiy.com

Good luck, bro!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

PS: Even if you aren't going to be wrenching on it yourself, it's an old car and the Crossfire is totally different from what mechanics expect to see now and deal with regularly.

Even if you never use it, being able to hand your mechanic a FSM will be an invaluable help. And if you do plan to do the wrenching? It will be an invaluable help to you as well.

Just get it.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:58 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

84 is a tuff year. You can also go to the C3 forum as the C3 1982 also uses the cross-fire and had the new automatic overdrive tranny.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:14 PM
C4_bob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark970
this is a restoration project?
Nope. Like I said, it's just a few minor engine components that need to be replaced and some issues with one of the lights that needs to be fixed. Other than that everything is still in one piece.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:51 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

All older Corvettes will need maintenance more so if stored outside. I suspect many small things will pop up as you start driving it. As stated Get a FSM. You can read about the CF here, Cf is not a big preference set up but very solid when properly set up. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...solutions.html

Do the common things first change every fluid, check out all the mechanical items, get new tires. Have fun.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Does it crank over? Has it been sitting in the weeds, uncovered for the 5 years? If rain got in and it was on dirt, corrosion and mildew could be a major headache.

Down here at the shore most folks fog their boat motors with oil for winter storage. Rusted, stuck valves and rings are a big problem if you don't.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by mickey5; 07-23-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Why this one? How much do you want to spend? What do you expect it to do for you?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by C4_bob
Buying an '84 C4 with crossfire injection. Has some minor issues regarding one of the pop-ups and several partially-rotted/deteriorated rubber components in the engine as it hasn't been run in several years and has been stored outside for roughly five years. I've already been briefed by the current owner and have looked over the vehicle myself, as well as had my mechanic-trained brother-in-law inspect it as well, so I know what I'm getting into.
Aside from certain notes with that specific car, is there anything integral I should know about the '84 with the crossfire injection that I should know before/after purchasing?
Wouldn't touch at any price. Just to paint it alone will cost as much or more than the car would ever be worth
A neglected C4 will need repairs ALL the time. Not just what you see now

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 07-23-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Advice? Don't buy a 84 that needs work.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:06 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

A few questions,
1. How many miles are on it?
2. Is there a documented maintenance history of any kind?
3. Stored outside in the elements 5 years.... Hows the paint?
4. Does it run at all?
5. Whats the price for it?
6. Are you able to do your own work?
7. What are your intentions & expectations for the car?

Being this would be your first Vette, I would consider all my questions and same with the other posters. We know what these cars can do to a mans pride and wallet. In this case, if this is what it seems to be, its probably going to cost you a minimum of a couple grand to get things back in order, ie( brake system, tires, engine) Then, if you are the type, like many of us, that want a good looking car, theres many thousands more for paint work... interiors are not cheap to restore. Weather stripping is also not cheap to restore, takes time and some patience and knowledge.

Ill give you an example, back in April, I purchased my 5th C4. 1986 34k miles, 2 adult owners, stored inside. The car was a very nice example, but still needed the brake hoses, M/C, pads replaced & a full fluid flush. Needed all 4 shocks replaced, fuel pump/float assembly & fuel filter, full tune up, nose and trunk emblems were faded, replaced them, Valve cover gaskets were leaking & replaced, Cooling system needed flushed, new cap, new knock sensor and coolant sensor..... Keep in mind, I do all my own work and spent around 2 G's for the fore mentioned items. Had a shop done the work, this number would easily be double or more.

The moral of the story is, while you can buy a very nice low mile vehicle, it will almost still need work unless you are willing to purchase from someone like me who did it all already, which in turn would drive the price to a point that no one would pay...

In your case, it sounds like you should be ready to spend a good amount of money on a Vette that is a high, single year production, low HP, and least sought after year of the C4.

Just things to consider... good luck with your decision.

Last edited by 81c3; 07-23-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Nope. Like I said, it's just a few minor engine components that need to be replaced and some issues with one of the lights that needs to be fixed. Other than that everything is still in one piece.
You will soon find out otherwise. This indeed will be a restoration project. my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Advice? Don't buy a 84 that needs work.
, they're bad enough when they get run on a regular bases, but a nightmare if left sitting for many years.. Expect to spend a small fortune on the car if you get it...You have been warned .......WW
Old 07-23-2017, 10:32 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Many valid points.

What are your wrenching skills? Do you plan to work on it yourself or pay to have the work performed, or a combination of the two?

Even if it was stored with 0 miles from the day it was new, it's still 30 years old now and will take some time and money and no small amount of effort.

I bought a junk vette and I'm totally happy. But, everyone is different. It's all about what you want, and can do and can afford.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:35 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

is there anything integral I should know about the '84 with the crossfire injection that I should know before/after purchasing?
Ok, I'll be the contrarian as I had a 82 XFire and it was a bullet proof engine. They ARE NOT for the faint of heart as they are a "one off" and mechanics and others dont really know that much about them.

It does worry me that the car has not run in several years......

So, if you are going to jump into the deep end of the pool, just go feet first and only do ONE FIX AT A TIME. Doing too much at once will not allow you to get things dialed in before moving on.

1. Buy a vacuum gauge. This will be one of your most valuable tools. XFires are super sensitive to vacuum leaks. Check, replace all your hoses going in a out of the engine. Keep an eye on your MAP sensor on the fire wall. Put a wrench on all or manifold bolts and make sure they are tight. You want steady vacuum readings.

2. Fuel pressure is the bain of their existence. Scrap the factory fuel pump and swap with an 85-89 version. Bolt in and will give you more than you need. Change your filter.

3. Dial in your sensors start with your TPS, then coolant sensor, then IAC. These are very important sensors as they set a lot of the baseline computer readings. Dont sweat your EGR as it really wont make much difference.

4. You need to get your car running and look at the injector spray. It needs to be a uniform, cone shape spray. Any drips are cause for concern. Start with a fuel injector cleaner see if it "spontaneously" fixed itself. If not, you need to clean/rebuild. Not too bad of a job.

5. Bump your timing to 12 (remember to unplug the brown wire off the distributor) as these engine like as much timing as you can give them.

If you can do all that you are most of the way home.

As mentioned above, get yourself a FSM. It will bail you out.
The following 2 users liked this post by billschroeder5842:
C4Coupe (07-23-2017), H P Bushrod (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Ok, I'll be the contrarian as I had a 82 XFire and it was a bullet proof engine..

Actually, I dont see where youre being contrary to what anyone else has said.... youve made all good suggestions and points.

Last edited by 81c3; 07-23-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Buckeye88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing I didn't look for and had to have repaired is the frame. Had a hole just forward of the drivers door underneath. If the car spent any time in the north make sure you get a good look at the frame.....especially if it sat outside.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:18 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Back around 2002 I was considering what my next Corvette would be. I decided to get a C4 and researched them for about a year. I attended a Bloomington Gold show (one of the largest Corvette shows) and took a class on what to look for in a 1984-1996 Corvette.
I asked one of the instructors about purchasing a 1984 as my research had shown that year to be the least expensive to buy. Both instructors basically said to keep searching and buy something newer. The reasons they listed were the same as have been said above.
I bought an 87 convertible the next year and was very happy that I did.
I am assuming you are considering this C4 because of its initial low price.
Remember that most Corvette owners in the know have learned that a project car takes 3 times longer to finish than you think it should and costs 3 times as much as you budgeted.
Don't be a fool. Listen to those here with experience.
If you are short of funds then work a part time job on the side until you have saved enough to buy a better car than this one. There are a TON of them for sale out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C4, any advice?

Quick Reply: Buying a C4, any advice?