C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hose from throttle body to

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 AM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hose from throttle body to

valve cover on passenger side. What is the purpose of this hose it goes from throttle body to valve cover. Mechanic has put a cap on it and said to just put a filter in the hole in the valve cover left by removing the hose.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck buick
valve cover on passenger side. What is the purpose of this hose it goes from throttle body to valve cover. Mechanic has put a cap on it and said to just put a filter in the hole in the valve cover left by removing the hose.
I assume you're referring to the EGR valve connection or a breather (Don't remember which is on which side of the engine). If it is, I wouldn't but that's my choice for emissions.

Last edited by hcbph; 07-24-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM
canuck buick
Pro

http://corvettetrader.com/pictures/89corvette7411-2.jpg

here is a pic online
Old 07-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

well, first of all, the hose from the RH valve cover to the throttle body is part of the PCV circuit. technically, a small filter would work in the valve cover (a.k.a. old school breather cap), but i'd stay with the hose. what did the mechanic cap off - the VC or the TB? if the mechanic just capped off the valve cover opening, personally, i'd find a new mechanic - why not just go with the factory, VC hose to TB, setup?

Last edited by Joe C; 07-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
canuck buick (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:07 PM
canuck buick
Pro

H e capped off the throttle body. He said the hose was a potential for vacumn loss.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:46 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

H e capped off the throttle body. He said the hose was a potential for vacumn loss.
He is right. It is a potential for a vacuum loss. The car has an engine and transmission and rear end. All potential for failure too. What's his point? If that is his reason to cap it off, I'd say it is a pretty weak one and time to find another mechanic.

If you leave it that way, you will have fumes in the engine bay and it has a messy oil film. BTDT. So unless you want to route it to the exhaust pipe, it will make your engine bay greasy. I put 2 filters in the PCV and that. Both VCs had oil film around it and dirty from dust sticking.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

any of your original rubber hoses are potential leakers, but i'd still go with the factory configuration. seems the hose is available -
Amazon Amazon
-- can't recall how the 88-91 L98's are set up - most likely you'll need some sort of grommet to hose elbow/adapter.

Last edited by Joe C; 07-24-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The air that goes through the connection from the throttle body to the valve cover is metered air (it has gone through the MAF and been measured). When the PCV valve feeds this air into the intake manifold it will help maintain the correct AFR.

Get notified of new replies

To Hose from throttle body to

Quick Reply: Hose from throttle body to