C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 replacing bose with non-bose system

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:39 AM
garyc4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1984 replacing bose with non-bose system

Hello. I've asked questions similar to this before, but perhaps not as clearly. My goal is to replace the Bose system in my 1984 with a more modern non-bose system. Radio, and speakers both. My system doesn't work, and all components are 30+ yrs old so need replacement in any case.

I'm not after anything exotic, just a solid, cosmetically stock looking install that plays well. I will use the Retro Sound Newport (non-bose version) receiver, as its direct fit 1.5 Din, looks close to stock, and has upgraded features such as blue tooth and a usb port. Simple enough.

I will also replace door and rear speakers with traditional 2 or 3-way non bose speakers. My questions are:

(1) Does anyone have experience with this type of conversion and what is your advice?
(2) What size speakers will fit into the door and rear deck area with minor mods to the bose speaker mounts?
(3) What advice on receiver/car wiring changes to accept the non bose unit in the dash board to power the unit and operate the power antenna?
(4) Will I need to run all new speaker wire, or can I use the existing wires between the bose receiver and the speaker locations for the purpose of speaker wires?

Thanks for any info provided.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by garyc4
Hello. I've asked questions similar to this before, but perhaps not as clearly. My goal is to replace the Bose system in my 1984 with a more modern non-bose system. Radio, and speakers both. My system doesn't work, and all components are 30+ yrs old so need replacement in any case.

I'm not after anything exotic, just a solid, cosmetically stock looking install that plays well. I will use the Retro Sound Newport (non-bose version) receiver, as its direct fit 1.5 Din, looks close to stock, and has upgraded features such as blue tooth and a usb port. Simple enough.

I will also replace door and rear speakers with traditional 2 or 3-way non bose speakers. My questions are:

(1) Does anyone have experience with this type of conversion and what is your advice?
(2) What size speakers will fit into the door and rear deck area with minor mods to the bose speaker mounts?
I put 6 1/2" speakers in the doors, but I had to make a mounting plate and trim the stock opening about 1/2" to clear them. I also had to push the stock grills out 1/2" to clear the tweeters. The rears were a drop in affair in the cubbies behind the seats, but your coupe may be different.
(3) What advice on receiver/car wiring changes to accept the non bose unit in the dash board to power the unit and operate the power antenna?
You can only reuse the stock
power/ground/memory/power antenna wires, so any GM adapter for that era will work.

(4) Will I need to run all new speaker wire, or can I use the existing wires between the bose receiver and the speaker locations for the purpose of speaker wires?
Some here will say differently, but you should run new speaker wires. The stock wiring was designed to only carry a low power signal to the Bose amps. Use a electrical snake or coat hanger to get the new wires from the doors to the dash, starting on the door side first. I ran the wires for the rear speakers under the console, a coupe might be different.

Thanks for any info provided.
I did this swap in my 89 Vert, but most of the info should apply to you as well. See my answers in red above. Good luck, any more questions feel free to ask.
The following users liked this post:
garyc4 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I did 6" in the front and 6x9 in the rear. I ripped out all the factory crap except the power antenna but you can use the factory power wiring. Again I did all new speaker wire. I did have an advantage as I replaced my interior at the same time so I cut my door panels to fit my new speakers. You can take the stock box out of the door and make your own plate to mount the speaker then use the stock speaker covers. On the rears the 6x9 uses the stock box with some creative cutting.
The following users liked this post:
garyc4 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:55 PM
garyc4
Advanced

Great info, thanks to both of you. As you mentioned, I am also completely replacing the interior, so by doing the swap now I will have better access as you describe. I'd like to use the read deck stock coupe speaker locations so will need to trace the wiring path for that to put new speaker wires.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:48 PM
lucidardor
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...nt=31559204494. It's the closest thing to a factory look and has Apple compatibility, Bluetooth and USB inputs. I have experience with these radios, and they are really nice and sound really good. But you have to get an adapter for the Bose amplified speakers to work - you can find those on Amazon or eBay.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:45 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

You may be able to pull new wires by firmly attaching them to the old.

My refit was way more work, being more 'exotic', but well work the effort in making new speaker boxes, etc.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 PM
garyc4
Advanced

Originally Posted by lucidardor
This: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...nt=31559204494. It's the closest thing to a factory look and has Apple compatibility, Bluetooth and USB inputs. I have experience with these radios, and they are really nice and sound really good. But you have to get an adapter for the Bose amplified speakers to work - you can find those on Amazon or eBay.
thanks for the info. I'll be replacing the 4 speakers as well, plan to use normal non-bose units and run new speaker wire. I'll have seats and carpet out. The items I'm still not sure about are the possibility of adding amps and sub
Old 08-13-2017, 12:59 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by garyc4
The items I'm still not sure about are the possibility of adding amps and sub
I'm thinking about one of these for my vert
Amazon Amazon
It's less than 3 inches deep, so I'm wondering whether it would fit vertically behind the passenger seat. Just a thought..............

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 replacing bose with non-bose system

Quick Reply: 1984 replacing bose with non-bose system