C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Are C4's that much trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:17 AM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Are C4's that much trouble

I had pretty much decided on beginning my hunt for a C4 but then I read threads like this one:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-their-c4.html

Where the OP and several others complain that the C4 ends up not being driven because it has too many or too frequent problems.

I figure I have one major car project a year in me. Meaning one thats going to take me several full days and some evenings too.

Though it also seems that because of the OBD1 on pre 96 and the kind of OBDII on 96 you have trouble sorting out whats wrong with a C4, rather than just fixing it?

I prefer the looks of a C4 but more importantly I want a car I can drive.

Given a base budget of 12k - which includes buying the car and some intitial repairs, replacements and upgrades.

Would you go C4 or C5?
Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

They're old and modern at the same time. It's a terrible combination. I also own a 96 LT4. This thing has seriously tested my patience. I have also learned a lot from owning the car because I've done everything myself. The ODBII has been a godsend for diagnosing. It's also a blast to drive when it works. Makes it all worth it.

I also don't believe a 97 LS1 car is going to be any better. One year, whoopie! Obviously a newer car will generally give you less issues but C5s aren't new anymore either. Used cars are a crap shoot C4 or C5 at 12k who knows.
The following users liked this post:
mic575 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

I think 12k buys you the nicest C4 and a low end C5. While a C5 is a way better car overall they are old too.
You are going to have to maintain ANY car that is 20-30 years old I don't care what it is.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 AM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think its more about the quality of the car you start out with. If you buy a crap c4 then you will have lots of problems, but that's true for any car. If I were to do it again id by an 86-88.

Also in my area you can buy a nice 86 for 5k. Leaves you lots of $ for power adders

Last edited by MikeP84; 08-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.
mic575 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM
mic575
Instructor

Originally Posted by haxxx
They're old and modern at the same time. It's a terrible combination. I also own a 96 LT4. This thing has seriously tested my patience. I have also learned a lot from owning the car because I've done everything myself. The ODBII has been a godsend for diagnosing. It's also a blast to drive when it works. Makes it all worth it.

I also don't believe a 97 LS1 car is going to be any better. One year, whoopie! Obviously a newer car will generally give you less issues but C5s aren't new anymore either. Used cars are a crap shoot C4 or C5 at 12k who knows.
"They're old and modern at the same time. It's a terrible combination."

Nice summary. That does seem to be a significant issue.

I hate to have a nice car sitting in the garage when a friend comes over and I say, 'oh, I can't drive it, its broken.'
Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 AM
mic575
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeP84
I think its more about the quality of the car you start out with. If you buy a crap c4 then you will have lots of problems, but that's true for any car. If I were to do it again id by an 86-88.

Also in my area you can buy a nice 86 for 5k. Leaves you lots of $ for power adders
MikeP84 "If I were to do it again id by an 86-88." Why is that? Is it because the L98 is easier to keep running or because the L98 is easier to upgrade? Or some other reason.

I'll probably stay stock except for maybe exhaust.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mic575
"They're old and modern at the same time. It's a terrible combination."

Nice summary. That does seem to be a significant issue.

I hate to have a nice car sitting in the garage when a friend comes over and I say, 'oh, I can't drive it, its broken.'
Yeah it sucks but I've had pretty quick turn around times and it hasn't left me stranded. It was perfect for the first year and then everything seemed to happen all at once this year. Some people get it spread out over years. Just how it worked out for me.

It really depends on your skill set and how comfortable you are with working on a car like this. I would never recommend this car to someone who has to depend on a garage. Most people buy these because they are cheap but a garage is going to cost some serious money. The previous owner had well over 3k in labor into it. If I didn't do it myself I would be in another 3k.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:52 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

...I figure I have one major car project a year in me. Meaning one thats going to take me several full days and some evenings too.

.. but more importantly I want a car I can drive.

Given a base budget of 12k - which includes buying the car and some intitial repairs, replacements and upgrades.

Would you go C4 or C5?
I would go C4, but based on the criteria you laid out above? You want a C5.

These cars are very old and they can be frustrating. Anything this old can end up being a major project at the drop of a hat. I find them incredibly rewarding and don't like the C5 at all, even though I can easily admit it is a better car on the merits.

But if driving is it for you and you don't care either way? And you don't want to spend time messing with it? C5 all the way, imo.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Age kills electronic parts and the early C4's have less of it to go wrong. Most of the sensors are easy to replace, just don't buy cheap parts. I've had my 86 for over 12 years and drive it almost every day. Longest road trip was 2600 miles in one week. It has never failed me and I would not hesitate to take it on a cross country trip.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I have had my 89 for 10 years , I can honestly say for the car being 28 years old and me owning it for the last 10 , it has had no more problems then any other car I have owned. .. It also has 172,000 miles on the body and at the moment runs like a fairly new car....If you start with a car that has had a very hard life, your going to have problems.. If you get one with lower miles and it's fairly stock, you will probably be fine..$12,000 should get you a real nice C4......I also own a C6 Z51 Corvette , with all the electronics on the car I think it may be much more of a problem to troubleshoot and fix........WW
Attached Images  

Last edited by WW7; 08-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you find the right one that is well maintained, you will be happy with it. Antique plates, inexpensive insurance, and minimal cost to operate with alot of good technology. A great starter vette.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:35 AM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

No, they are not plagued with trouble. As MikeP84mentioned, starting out with a quality car can make all the difference.

I have owned my ‘96 LT-4 for 19 years, it is by far the most reliable C4 I have ever owned. I do all of my own maintenance, all it has needed in these 19 years have been tires, rotors, brake pads, and of course fluids.

The ‘96 was the best screwed together Corvette of the C4 generation, it underwent continued upgrades until the final model year in ‘96. ‘96s also have additional noise/vibration insulation that ‘95s don’t have. I went from a ‘94 to a ‘96 and could notice the slightly calmer cabin environment in the ‘96, not a huge difference, but noticable.

If I can offer any advice, keep your car out of having to be serviced by anyone but yourself, maybe its just me, but I have my concerns with the quality of technicians these days and integrity of dealer service departments.

The earliest C5 is now 20 years old, buying any car of that vintage does have its risks. Again, if you find an example within your budget, start out with a quality car no matter if you go C4 or C5. They’re both Corvettes so you can’t go wrong... but I’d go for the C4 everyday of the week, I like ‘em that much.

B17Crew

Last edited by B17Crew; 08-09-2017 at 01:07 AM.
MikeP84 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,441 Likes on 2,800 Posts

For 12k I'd buy a c4. A 12k c5 is crappy and run down most of the time around here.

A c4 (or c5 for that matter) can be problems if you buy one that someone has neglected and is ditching. A clean well kept one won't really be problematic other than the usual stuff of a 20 year old car.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 AM
MikeP84
Racer

MikeP84 "If I were to do it again id by an 86-88." Why is that? Is it because the L98 is easier to keep running or because the L98 is easier to upgrade? Or some other reason.

I'll probably stay stock except for maybe exhaust.

PRO: Well I was going to go into detail as to why but for the most part its bc the 86-88 are easier to upgrade. Already have the better performing intake than the 84, different suspension components make it easier for brake upgrades, ABS, think they had different suspension options as well and other things like that.

CON: On the down side they have more wiring than an 84(which I have), I don't like the interior plastic piece that goes over the dash and closer to the 90ish you go they lose engine bay space. My 84 is a dream to work on in comparison to a 90's.

Overall if you don't plan on doing much work to your C4 then any age would work so long as its in good condition. If you did start working on one the 86-88 are the best/easiest in my opinion.

Although if you don't plan on doing much work and you want a reliable car you might be better off with a C5 (so long as its in good condition). I have seen a couple go up on FB for 15k and even some zo6 for around that price range. But that just depends on your taste. I test drove one C5 and I wasn't impressed. Sure it was nice but for the price of 15k it wasn't worth it.

Last edited by MikeP84; 08-08-2017 at 11:54 AM.
mic575 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

would never recommend this car to someone who has to depend on a garage. Most people buy these because they are cheap but a garage is going to cost some serious money
^^^major decision maker for you
yrs back had to make a decision-hop on the web and learn to diy or sell it. If you have to pay someone for eveyrthing not sure Id recommend owning a Corvette. Few know how to work on them, some parts you get reamed on as they are vette specific. Unles you just love the car and have a few bux.

12k should buy you an absolutely perfect one where the risk is minimal. Tons of these made so hold out and be picky.
They arent bad cars overall ;sorted out and maintained can be good just dont expect honda like reliability

Last edited by cv67; 08-08-2017 at 12:17 PM.
mic575 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:06 PM
MikeP84
Racer

I would be very picky, look very hard at each one, and look at different years till you found one that you really like. Best way to know for sure which one is right for you is to just get out there and try them. Test drive them and see which you like the best, then start looking for better condition ones if needed. Don't let one person discourage you from a C4
Old 08-08-2017, 12:50 PM
mic575
Instructor

"If I can offer any advice, keep your car out of having to be serviced by anyone but yourself, maybe its just me, but I have my concerns with the quality of technicins these days and integrity of dealer service departments."

Interesting you say this B17. Thats the way I feel about all of my cars. I just hate taking my modern cars in to the shop and really reallytry to avoid it. So often they screw things up! So that will be the same for a C4.

Time is my limiting factor and I am slow at doing repairs as I try to clean and restore everything along the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Are C4's that much trouble

Old 08-08-2017, 12:50 PM
mic575
Instructor

Thanks everyone. This discussion was really helpful!
MikeP84 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I have had C4's and currently have a C5. The C5 is worse electronically. The C4's tend to have some bad grounds. C5 is an electronic daisy chain dumpster fire of hell. A minor problem that shouldn't stop you from driving the car (shorted drivers power seat as an example) will cause a no start on a C5.

I had another issue where the car would stall at 2 mph because of another sensor. Had to fix the AC display multiple times. rebuild the seats (still aren't right) etc. etc.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:08 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I have had C4's and currently have a C5. The C5 is worse electronically. The C4's tend to have some bad grounds. C5 is an electronic daisy chain dumpster fire of hell. A minor problem that shouldn't stop you from driving the car (shorted drivers power seat as an example) will cause a no start on a C5.

I had another issue where the car would stall at 2 mph because of another sensor. Had to fix the AC display multiple times. rebuild the seats (still aren't right) etc. etc.
DITTO on bad grounds, if you get a good one, preferably with good records, please, go to the nearest expert on c4 s and have all your grounds removed , wire brushed or sanded with insulation goop to prevent any corrosion, this way you will not start getting any problems related to bad ground connections..

Quick Reply: Are C4's that much trouble