Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Default When my headlights are on, dimmer in my 92 does not work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Default When my headlights are on, dimmer in my 92 does not work.

When I turn on the headlights on my car, the dash doesn't light up at all. The lights on the radio and the climate control also do not turn on. Anyone have any ideas how to fix?
Old 08-13-2017, 02:34 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The dash has an input from the headlight switch to tell it when the headlights are on. When it sees that input, it goes into "night mode" and dims the backlighting. "Dim" is really dim. You need to be in the dark to see it.

I don't know enough about the 1990 and later cars to offer any suggestions...
Old 08-13-2017, 02:59 AM
skittlenips
Racer

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The dash has an input from the headlight switch to tell it when the headlights are on. When it sees that input, it goes into "night mode" and dims the backlighting. "Dim" is really dim. You need to be in the dark to see it.

I don't know enough about the 1990 and later cars to offer any suggestions...
It's completely dark, there is no light at all.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:12 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Check the fuses as a baseline, but my money is on a faulty headlight switch. there is a lot going on in that little unit, so there is a high probability it needs replacing.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by skittlenips
When I turn on the headlights on my car, the dash doesn't light up at all. The lights on the radio and the climate control also do not turn on. Anyone have any ideas how to fix?
It seems you might not understand the "DIMMER" function of the HL SWITCH for Instrument Panel Intensity Control with "lights on".

Do you have a HL Switch issue? Maybe - but the way you stated the question it seems you likely maybe don't understand the "DIMMER" function on the switch. Does moving lever all the way up turn on courtesy, map etc?

There's particular diagnostics if you understand the "DIMMER" function. A bad IP lamp driver? Maybe. A CCM problem? Possibility also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-13-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It seems you might not understand the "DIMMER" function of the HL SWITCH for Instrument Panel Intensity Control with "lights on".

Do you have a HL Switch issue? Maybe - but the way you stated the question it seems you likely maybe don't understand the "DIMMER" function on the switch. Does moving lever all the way up turn on courtesy, map etc?

There's particular diagnostics if you understand the "DIMMER" function. A bad IP lamp driver? Maybe. A CCM problem? Possibility also.
Maybe I should take a video or something, when I turn on my headlights it is completely dark, there is no light whatsoever coming from the instrument cluster, climate control or radio. It is completely dark.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Chrly919
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is doing that ..headlights come up but nothing on the dash lights up. I can jiggle the **** and it will come on briefly. On park I have dash lights but I think that probably is different circuit. I believe it's probably in the rheostat to adjust from dark to bright. Dirt maybe. I can slide all the way up and courtesy lights come on. Was going to look into this today, but got the oil change reminder light to work again.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Originally Posted by Chrly919
Mine is doing that ..headlights come up but nothing on the dash lights up. I can jiggle the **** and it will come on briefly. On park I have dash lights but I think that probably is different circuit. I believe it's probably in the rheostat to adjust from dark to bright. Dirt maybe. I can slide all the way up and courtesy lights come on. Was going to look into this today, but got the oil change reminder light to work again.
https://youtu.be/ydLNJKTXhZQ

Get notified of new replies

To Default When my headlights are on, dimmer in my 92 does not work.

Quick Reply: Default When my headlights are on, dimmer in my 92 does not work.