Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Part number for a removable roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Idonthaveaname
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part number for a removable roof?

Hi. I have what I believe is a C4 removable hard top (RED). Is there anywhere a part number could be on this piece? Found it in my attic. The car is long gone. Father in law's car. He is also gone. I'm guessing his Vette was 1991. Not exactly sure, somewhere around there. Hence the part number query. I know it's genuine Corvette. I only saw him use the glass roof, so he stored this red hard top. Going to sell it, but it would be helpful to know exactly what year Corvette it belongs to. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2017, 03:57 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Good info here:
http://www.mirrockcorvette.com/corve...able-tops.html
The following users liked this post:
Idonthaveaname (09-11-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

The link in post#2 will help you ID the latches for fit.

If the top was an original build there would be a VIN derivative on the front of the driver side roof rail I'm quite sure. That might help you in identifying the "RED"!!

The VIN derivative would be 1M5xxxxxx where 1 ID's Chevrolet, M in this case '91, 5 Bowling Green, and xxxxxx the VIN sequence. The letter after the 1 will ID the year. If that information is on the front rail of your roof it would be easy to ID for you. Post either a snapshot of that derivative or just the information if it's there. If it's not there it would be likely safe to assume the top was purchased as an accessory.

Where are you located?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:17 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Idonthaveaname
Hi. I have what I believe is a C4 removable hard top (RED). Is there anywhere a part number could be on this piece? Found it in my attic. The car is long gone. Father in law's car. He is also gone. I'm guessing his Vette was 1991. Not exactly sure, somewhere around there. Hence the part number query. I know it's genuine Corvette. I only saw him use the glass roof, so he stored this red hard top. Going to sell it, but it would be helpful to know exactly what year Corvette it belongs to. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
If it will fit an 86 I want dibs please I would like to have a solid color top. Please PM me with contact info to discuss.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Idonthaveaname
4th Gear

I sent you a message. Thanks for the info. I will look tonight.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:03 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by Idonthaveaname
I sent you a message. Thanks for the info. I will look tonight.
after checking out that link above am I correct in assuming that my early 86 is only compatible with 84, 85 and early 86? late 86 and beyond are 2 different mounting options yet? If so then I have to say I am not interested in the top now. Sorry for the misunderstanding. But as I continue to read I could use the mounts from my broken glass top and all would be right as rain so I guess I do still want it. I will email you.

Last edited by warrior4jesus; 08-17-2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by warrior4jesus
But as I continue to read I could use the mounts from my broken glass top and all would be right as rain so I guess I do still want it. I will email you.
To use the later top on your car you would need to change the mounting/attaching hardware on the windshield header.

Use the link above in post#2 and read about "brackets and header panels". You can't change the mounts on the roof to accomplish a fit.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-17-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:13 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
To use the later top on your car you would need to change the mounting/attaching hardware on the windshield header.

Use the link above in post#2 and read about "brackets and header panels". You can't change the mounts on the roof to accomplish a fit.
Yea sorry about the late reply. after emailing him I came to the conclusion his asking price was out of my budget. Not saying it's a bad price just saying it's out of my budget. He was prompt and courteous to deal with.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Idonthaveaname
4th Gear

After looking at the link in post #2, mine is definitely identical to the "third design", 89-96. So there it is. Its for sale on Craigslist (Cape Cod) if anyone is interested in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Part number for a removable roof?

Quick Reply: Part number for a removable roof?