Default low milage 1991 c4 L98 no start

42 psi fuel pressure, runs on starting fluid, cranks but no start. Help
Old 08-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by retiredone
42 psi fuel pressure, runs on starting fluid, cranks but no start. Help
I would focus on the injectors. Use a noid light to test them and see if they are firing. You can ohm them as well to see if they are still electrically sound. CHeck to see if they are getting the pulse signal from the ECM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:40 PM
retiredone
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I will look in that direction.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:47 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Google "L98 starting sequence". So you can properly diagnose before throwing parts at it.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:37 AM
retiredone
6th Gear

Notes on the c4. Car had been sitting for 5 years in garage. Absolutely show car clean. Battery completed dead. Fuel pump was not running. Replaced battery,fuel pump and filter. Noid tested injectors, firing both banks. Car runs if gasoline squirted in intake. Appears fuel injectors are gummed up. Anyone have any advice? Would it be possible to use a cleaning kit at fuel rail to get it going or replace injectors? Car is very clean less than 4000 actual miles. My first Vette.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:06 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Notes on the c4. Car had been sitting for 5 years in garage. Absolutely show car clean. Battery completed dead. Fuel pump was not running. Replaced battery,fuel pump and filter. Noid tested injectors, firing both banks. Car runs if gasoline squirted in intake. Appears fuel injectors are gummed up. Anyone have any advice?

Would it be possible to use a cleaning kit at fuel rail to get it going or replace injectors? Car is very clean less than 4000 actual miles. My first Vette.
Are you saying it starts and keeps on running after start if you spray gas in the intake?

If the injectors are bad, I wouldn't bother to rehab them. Get a tested set from FIC that are reman. https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...3-injector-set

They are probably Multecs and not designed with Ethanol in mind.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
Are you saying it starts and keeps on running after start if you spray gas in the intake?

If the injectors are bad, I wouldn't bother to rehab them. Get a tested set from FIC that are reman. https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...3-injector-set

They are probably Multecs and not designed with Ethanol in mind.

Don't waste time trying to clean them. You might get them good enough for the car to run but never back to factory spec IMHO.

4000 miles! Wow. Post some pics. That sounds like an awesome find!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:43 AM
retiredone
6th Gear

I appreciate your comments. I got the car started just a few minutes ago. Every injector was stuck closed. I disconnected them all electrically. I made up a fused jumper wire directly from the battery. Tried applying power with no result to first injector. I then tapped on the injector and reapplied power. Heard the injector activate. Cycled several times with key on. Each injector came to life. Car started on first crank. Idled rough and then cleared up. I will try her out and go from there. The car is black on black all original. I'll post some pictures a little later when I figure out how. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I appreciate your comments. I got the car started just a few minutes ago. Every injector was stuck closed. I disconnected them all electrically. I made up a fused jumper wire directly from the battery. Tried applying power with no result to first injector. I then tapped on the injector and reapplied power. Heard the injector activate. Cycled several times with key on. Each injector came to life. Car started on first crank. Idled rough and then cleared up. I will try her out and go from there. The car is black on black all original. I'll post some pictures a little later when I figure out how. Thanks everyone.
Every injector will be closed or fuel will pour into the chamber. IIRC, it is in a constant "hot" state and when the ECM fires it, it grounds the circuit and "ungrounds" it to stop a millisecond later. Since you tapped it and it fired up, I suspect that your problem is that when you start the car, the vibration will rattle the injectors to be equivalent to the tap and the car runs.

Which do you have?
Old 08-20-2017, 12:37 PM
retiredone
6th Gear

Have the Multec. It is starting and running now. I will probably replace them in the near future. Do you know the specs as far as flow and do you have replacement recommendations?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Have the Multec. It is starting and running now. I will probably replace them in the near future. Do you know the specs as far as flow and do you have replacement recommendations?
Call FIC (link above in previous post). They will set you up.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I bet after you change the fluids, do a good safety check and condition check of all rubber parts.... and put a few miles on it, it will run fine. I have 35k miles on my original multecs... car runs near perfectly. That said, I do plan on a swap this winter just for preventative maintenance sake as well as a chance to replace the EGR valve and FPR along with any questionable vacuum lines etc and of course new gaskets never hurt anyone....
Old 08-20-2017, 02:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Dump them.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 AM
retiredone
6th Gear

Default 1991 coupe 3680 miles

1991 c4 3680 miles.

She seems to be clearing up quite well. I give her a chance before swapping injectors. Adding Lucas injector treatment as we go. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

That sure is a sharp looking car!

I recently replaced the factory Multecs on my '92 with the Bosch from FIC. Even though the car was running fine I figured with 43K miles with much of that being exposed to ethanol it was a good choice. I found the resistance on one of the injectors was about 1/4 of what it should have been. The ethanol was "eating" away the insulation on the coil and eventually it would have blown the fuse for that bank. Anyone want some old Multecs?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

1991 c4 3680 miles.

She seems to be clearing up quite well. I give her a chance before swapping injectors. Adding Lucas injector treatment as we go. Thanks again.
A little snake oil will perk it right up.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Great Car!

Your beast will awake slowly, but awake it will.

Driving her is the best medicine you can can give.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

1991 c4 3680 miles.

After 26 years, those Multecs deserve to be put out of their misery. If you ever actually drive the car , you will likely have it die on you when it gets hot, due to one or more of the Multecs shorting out when hot. That is what happened in my 1989.

Steve
Old 08-23-2017, 10:38 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NavAir
After 26 years, those Multecs deserve to be put out of their misery. If you ever actually drive the car , you will likely have it die on you when it gets hot, due to one or more of the Multecs shorting out when hot. That is what happened in my 1989.

Steve
Either make trap targets out of them or beat them with a hammer. 8 injectors, 4 and 4 maybe? People buy snake oils because they are cheap enough they can afford to try a "Hail Mary".

Get notified of new replies

To low milage 1991 c4 L98 no start

Quick Reply: low milage 1991 c4 L98 no start