C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Trolls on Forum??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Trolls on Forum??

Does one ever get the idea that there are trolls on here to ask or make insignificant comments!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Inquiring minds want to know who you think they are?
Some people may ask questions that are beneath you because they simply don't know. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but didn't have a dad that taught me about cars so a lot is unknown to me. I learn as I go or by following instruction. Thank God for YouTube.

Last edited by warrior4jesus; 08-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1bdvet (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:12 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by warrior4jesus
Inquiring minds want to know who you think they are?
Some people may ask questions that are beneath you because they simply don't know. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but didn't have a dad that taught me about cars so a lot is unknown to me. I learn as I go or by following instruction. Thank God for YouTube.
Said very well.
warrior4jesus (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

there does seem to be quite a few one post noobs - here today, gone tomorrow - never to heard from again. it happens on a daily basis. i'm to the point where I rarely reply to these threads. I have my suspicions.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:07 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I just quickly looked through the titles and opened up a few threads on the first page here... didn't look like any non legit stuff....

Usually trolls post something like this:

" Just bought an 88 Vette, Why is it slower than the Mustang I used to have?"

Then, they usually disappear... nary a word from them in the thread they started... Just looking to stir chit up really...

Other than that, its like Warrior said... no one knows everything.... and some know very little about 21-34 year old Corvettes,,,,, particularly when its their first one.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:18 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
isn't this a troll post in itself ? seems insignificant, and off topic
Good Point... at least he has 800+ posts... been thanked a few times... Who knows??
Old 08-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Like someone that starts a thread about trolls then doesn't respond?
Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe C
there does seem to be quite a few one post noobs - here today, gone tomorrow - never to heard from again. it happens on a daily basis. i'm to the point where I rarely reply to these threads. I have my suspicions.
Perhaps they are socially awkward or they only had 1 question they needed? Perhaps they didn't receive the response they had hoped for or an satisfactory volume of responses with pertinent information. I personally have noticed that some people here tend to be rude sounding with their responses and to a socially awkward person that knows little about cars could easily be overwhelmed or underwhelmed into never responding or posting again. I don't know but there are a million reasons for who what why and where when and I don't think their are any trolls in here on the c4 forum... Off Topic is a totally different scenario though.
aDigitalPhantom (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

You'd have to have next to no life whatsoever to sit around registering accounts here to ask inane questions.. The giggling to yourself like a total weirdo, and doing it all over again.

I wouldn't worry about such a person's activities online.

I'd be worried they had a big hole dug in their basement IRL
Old 08-19-2017, 02:15 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Yes. Of course.

There were trolls long before the internet.

Actually though there are a lot of people unfamiliar and afraid to dig in to their cars and these are pretty complex cars for what they were.

I think even if they are trolls and I am guilty of it myself we should give them a chance to get through the whole new ideas things.

It is usually really obvious who is trolling after a while.

Myself I like to have fun and come on line to joke around and learn, so i am guilty of posted silly or dumb things many times too. I don't take it serious.

I only care if people are truly being steered wrong with the idea of keep replacing parts until you find the right one mentality.

I have met a few guys on here in person and even done business with them. Most of us are normal people and like to joke around and be guys, some times you get a true degenerate that is looking to impress other forums, or just bored and wants to stir the pot here.

I don't blame the trolls though some people here get bent out of shape over posts they see form some they have no idea who it is (just like school when the kids keep picking at the one that throws tantrums, because in the end they are funnier and weirder to watch).

If you are on a car forum and getting upset when you are not being TRULY personally attacked as in sworn at or threatened, IMO you had better be a Bill gates type of focused person or and but most likely you are just a boring pretentious person, and have no real chance at success or even going on a forum and building relationships.

After it is all broken down it is nothing more than a place to write your thoughts and ideas about a stupid car that is in this an irrelevant piece of history.

So does it cost you, hurt, bother, affect, or change your life? NOPE. Embrace it or ignore it.

Last edited by pologreen1; 08-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by warrior4jesus
Perhaps they are socially awkward or they only had 1 question they needed? Perhaps they didn't receive the response they had hoped for or an satisfactory volume of responses with pertinent information. I personally have noticed that some people here tend to be rude sounding with their responses and to a socially awkward person that knows little about cars could easily be overwhelmed or underwhelmed into never responding or posting again. I don't know but there are a million reasons for who what why and where when and I don't think their are any trolls in here on the c4 forum... Off Topic is a totally different scenario though.
I sent you a PM...
Old 08-19-2017, 03:29 PM
foolthrottle
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the message? Shut up! don't ask questions, give up, don't try. OK
Old 08-19-2017, 03:56 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by foolthrottle
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!! GAWD

Old 08-19-2017, 04:06 PM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are people here that are not trolls but that doesn't mean they are not @$$ holes there are some long time members who fit that bill but the good thing they are not here as much as they(possie) be

Last edited by corvette Stu; 08-19-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:18 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by foolthrottle
Big difference between noobs and trolls. Todays crop of noobs tend to be less willing to research/read before posing their question. This is obvious by the content of their posts. So I've given up suggesting that they use the search due to all the butt hurt comments.

DGXR (08-21-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 07:50 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Sometimes some of the noobs are old-school, the new stuff, well 20 yr old new stuff is well, new. Last year these cars were a bafflement to me. Took me a while to come up to speed as the last Corvette I worked on was the '65.

I also admit sometimes when you are out under the hood, it is just easier to run and and ask a question, than sit and try to sort it out with with the search function.

You know, sometimes it just takes a village, er a forum to fix stuff.

Last edited by drcook; 08-19-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:53 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Big difference between noobs and trolls. Todays crop of noobs tend to be less willing to research/read before posing their question. This is obvious by the content of their posts. So I've given up suggesting that they use the search due to all the butt hurt comments.

I've tried to use the search feature but so many times the information is for another year that is just somewhat incompatible in some little way. OR the information is so general it brings up every post BUT the one you are looking for. I look at it this way. If you all have the knowledge in your head and so readily available why not share? Honestly I have better luck googling the question and picking the corvette forum thread that pops up from that search rather than use the forums search options.

Get notified of new replies

To Trolls on Forum??

Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

There seems to be a spike in trolling across the forum lately.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ase-vette.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...somewhere.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hese-days.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a-racist.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...like-fart.html
C6 gen, PR&C, OT, they show up all over. Nobody can be that stupid.

Last edited by Patsgarage; 08-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:12 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I suppose this may be a reference to me. I am new here, I only know enough about cars to be dangerous, I over think everything so I ask a lot of questions etc. I also don't own a C4 yet. Still trying to figure out what I want and why I want it. I'm not trying to be a troll, I might be an a**hole, but I've been called worse.

I've learned a lot here and am very grateful for it. I will be supporting the forum if I ever buy a vette. Still haven't decided on whether it will be fall or spring.

Interesting side story. I had never ridden in or driven a C4 until 2 weeks ago. The first one I drove looked ok but it drove like a 74 ford farm truck. Had I not been on this forum I would have thought C4's are not a fun car at all.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by mic575
Well, I suppose this may be a reference to me. I am new here, I only know enough about cars to be dangerous, I over think everything so I ask a lot of questions etc. I also don't own a C4 yet. Still trying to figure out what I want and why I want it. I'm not trying to be a troll, I might be an a**hole, but I've been called worse.

I've learned a lot here and am very grateful for it. I will be supporting the forum if I ever buy a vette. Still haven't decided on whether it will be fall or spring.

Interesting side story. I had never ridden in or driven a C4 until 2 weeks ago. The first one I drove looked ok but it drove like a 74 ford farm truck. Had I not been on this forum I would have thought C4's are not a fun car at all.
There is a big difference between a troll and someone who is new to the hobby. Asking questions (even dumb ones) and then learning from the answers is all part of it. A troll just opens up a can of worms then disappears. No worries, it sounds like you are just a n00b, not a troll.

Quick Reply: Trolls on Forum??