Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My first Corvette - should these issues worry me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:51 AM
mantanz
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Corvette - should these issues worry me?

Hi everyone!

I just fulfilled my lifelong dream of buying a C4. Sadly I have found it has a few issues.
I bought it after a brief test drive, figuring it had just gone through compliance (I live in New Zealand) so it should be structurally sound.
The engine, trans and electrics are all great but when I stood on the floor yesterday I heard a crunching sound. Then I looked underneath and saw a hole in the fibreglass.
I also bought the car as the dealer promised a 14 day money back guarantee. They're now going back on that and saying they'll just fix the issues.

The other issues are:

Check gauges light sometimes flickers.
Driver side window makes an incredibly loud bang and shakes violently when you first open it.
Roof leaks despite dealer saying weather strips all replaced.
Burnt oil smell (TBH I think it's just some oil spilt on the headers).
Car rattles and creaks a lot, especially from the roof, but I gather this is normal for a C4?
A LOT of wind noise, like windows are always slightly open but they're not.
Speedo reads 10km/h too low.

Mine is a 94, by the way.

Here are pics of the car and the floor. Should I seek the refund (there are legal means to get it) or are these issues nothing too much to worry about?

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by mantanz; 08-20-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

I fixed a jacking up pan damage area worse than that with a fiberglass repair kit from Autozone in a few hours. Not hard at all. Dan
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I guess you will gets lot's of in-puts, on your concern.
The car on the outside looks clean, but what you saying, that car has concerns, some might be easy fix, others could be costly, specially dealing with Corvette.
The list you gave, I would walk away, if it has that many problems, there be more.
You might want to get with local Corvette club in your area, and asked them to give the car the once over, or take it mechanic for safety check, you will have to pay for, but in the long run, you might be better off of know what you are into if you decide to keep.
Good luck, on whatever you do with the car.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:17 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Sounds like you got yourself a driver with fairly normal C4 issues.... Hope you did some research before the purchase. If not,,,, oh well. You have it now. Start working on it a few small things at a time. Learn about it here and buy a FSM. I think once you start driving it, it will be a car you grow to really appreciate.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like a beaten, used up old car. If it's an option still I vote Refund!!! It's already a lousy ownership experience for you, the dealer has lied, and it sounds like it will get worse.... and no this is not a normal C4 situation when you buy a clean well maintained good one. I wish you the best whichever way you proceed.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:35 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to out slice of the car world. Choose your poison! Return fight or some repairs, as with any used car, especially 23 years old. I'd surely press the dealer to fix what they can; then again, they may employ hacks and make it worse.

The windows need adjusting, it seems. That accounts for the leaks and sounds. It's not hard, but perhaps a bit of an art form.

These cars are made from SMC (sheet molded compound) which can be repaired with traditional fiberglass, but SMC is chemically slightly different.

That varying light might be a weak local ground or more, depending on other electrical items. Don't totally rely on the dash gauges, but troubleshoot with a good DVOM for good alternator output and the many grounds. Being on an island, you may have a number of corroded connections to remedy.

I suspect experienced Corvette shops are more rare than here; its country of origin. Hmm, Oz is on my bucket list!

Last edited by whalepirot; 08-20-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by mantanz
I also bought the car as the dealer promised a 14 day money back guarantee. They're now going back on that and saying they'll just fix the issues.

Should I seek the refund (there are legal means to get it) or are these issues nothing too much to worry about?

Any help appreciated!
The dealer going back on their word bothers me but I'd go for the refund.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:04 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Where is the car, looks like it's not US.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:07 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Where is the car, looks like it's not US.
He says New Zealand.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
He says New Zealand.
read right past that. must drink more coffee.

I've read several posts here where someone wants a corvette in area where they are not common. Thus it's either pay a fortune or deal with issues that need fixing. but I'd bet access to qualified corvette mechanics is slim to none, and the dealer's mechanic will screw up repairs.

I could see a dealer mech fixing the window only to break the door panels.

Other than the gauge light I don't see a major issue.

Think the dealer would consider paying for parts if you do the work, or a partial refund?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 AM
scuba717
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have the dealer fix the issues or get your refund. You should not have to fix this stuff if you have a money back offer. You'll be off fixing other issues after these are gone.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:22 PM
mantanz
Cruising

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll press for the refund. I don't trust the dealer to fix it properly.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:57 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

REFUND REFUND REFUND REFUND And did I mention REFUNDDDDDDDDDDD Also those fender flares are hideous.

Last edited by warrior4jesus; 08-20-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:08 PM
mantanz
Cruising

Ha! I know! I was gutted to find out they were bolted on too. I thought I might just be able to rip them off. So ugly.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:31 AM
mantanz
Cruising

Well, I spoke to the big boss man of the dealership. He was much more reasonable. He's open to refund but wants to see the damage for himself. We're putting car on a hoist tomorrow to give it a full once over. If it's not too major and can be fixed along with other issues at his cost I'll keep it. Took it for a spin tonight and it drives bloody well.
Thanks for all your help, everybody. I was just freaked out due to response from the salesman but it's not all doom and gloom
One bummer though... was offered a 2000 C5 today for a fraction over the price I paid for the C4! Doh! Lucky the C4 is the car I've pined over since I was 8 in 1984
Old 08-21-2017, 05:19 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, I spoke to the big boss man of the dealership. He was much more reasonable. He's open to refund but wants to see the damage for himself. We're putting car on a hoist tomorrow to give it a full once over. If it's not too major and can be fixed along with other issues at his cost I'll keep it. Took it for a spin tonight and it drives bloody well.
Thanks for all your help, everybody. I was just freaked out due to response from the salesman but it's not all doom and gloom
One bummer though... was offered a 2000 C5 today for a fraction over the price I paid for the C4! Doh! Lucky the C4 is the car I've pined over since I was 8 in 1984
Man you might be better off to take the c5 and run. don't buy a headache. I can't stress enough if it is in disrepair now even after it's fixed it will still be in disrepair another way. Someone did not take care of that car. that's my 2 cents. My prediction if you buy it you will never be fully happy with it.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Welcome to out slice of the car world. Choose your poison! Return fight or some repairs, as with any used car, especially 23 years old. I'd surely press the dealer to fix what they can; then again, they may employ hacks and make it worse.

The windows need adjusting, it seems. That accounts for the leaks and sounds. It's not hard, but perhaps a bit of an art form.

These cars are made from SMC (sheet molded compound) which can be repaired with traditional fiberglass, but SMC is chemically slightly different.

That varying light might be a weak local ground or more, depending on other electrical items. Don't totally rely on the dash gauges, but troubleshoot with a good DVOM for good alternator output and the many grounds. Being on an island, you may have a number of corroded connections to remedy.

I suspect experienced Corvette shops are more rare than here; its country of origin. Hmm, Oz is on my bucket list!
He's a Kiwi. No need to insult him.

Get notified of new replies

To My first Corvette - should these issues worry me?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:15 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Told Ya!!
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Given your location im guessing that C4s arent abundant so if thats what you want and the dealer is willing to address the issues then id keep it. However if there are enough C4s to actually be picky then id consider passing on that particular car.My main concern would be the leak and the uncertainty of how long it has been like that. As far as the creaking noise is concerned if the roof is properly secured the car shouldnt make noises like you are describing.

Good luck
Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Honestly if the paint and interior are in good shape you are probably OK. Being mechanically sound is a plus. If they are willing to fix the problems then I would let them.

Check gauges light sometimes flickers.
- This is the only one that really concerns me
Driver side window makes an incredibly loud bang and shakes violently when you first open it.
- Door hinges need to be rebuilt. Window out of alignment. Something could be broken in the door.
Roof leaks despite dealer saying weather strips all replaced.
- Are you sure it's the roof?
Car rattles and creaks a lot, especially from the roof, but I gather this is normal for a C4?
- It's old. There's a lot of degraded rubber suspension parts. Roof adds structural rigidity.
A LOT of wind noise, like windows are always slightly open but they're not.
- Door is probably out of alignment because of the door hinge issue. This causes the window be out of alignment and could also be the source of your leak.
Speedo reads 10km/h too low.
- Tires are the wrong size.

Last edited by haxxx; 08-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mantanz (08-21-2017)

Quick Reply: My first Corvette - should these issues worry me?