2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

I've got a couple C4's 1991 red ZR-1 and a 1995 Black ZR-1
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2017, 09:13 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. One we are eyeing is a 91 turquoise metallic convertible. Lower mileage. I don't know a whole lot about the L98 or the autos for that matter. Is there anything specifically I should look out for on an L98? And the auto trans for that matter?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 AM
SR71!
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by haxxx
Thanks for all the replies. One we are eyeing is a 91 turquoise metallic convertible. Lower mileage. I don't know a whole lot about the L98 or the autos for that matter. Is there anything specifically I should look out for on an L98? And the auto trans for that matter?

Personally not a fan of the L98's. I had one in an '87 IROC back when it was new, and it had more problems than a math book! Fried 3 computers, distributor issues, and finally the crank snapped right at the harmonic balancer while I was sitting at a red light. The 'Vette engine is virtually the same, what with aluminum vs. iron heads, but perhaps the ECM is different, not that I can imagine it being so much so to be absolved of the things that my L98 had go wrong.

Personally I'd look for an LT1 if auto is on the "must-have" list.

If you were in DE there is a cherry '81 or '82 that is a few miles from my house that the guy has in his front yard with a For-Sale sign on it. It's been there for a couple of month's.....it's the butt ugly tan & brown two tone paint job, but it is very clean. I never stopped to look, but if you're interested I can stop by and snap a picture of his sign and post or send it to you.

LMK!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:31 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Theres tons of L98's still running around with alot of miles on them. SR71, are you sure you didn't have a 305 TPI engine? I have never heard of people snapping cranks on L98's. in Vettes.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM
SR71!
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Theres tons of L98's still running around with alot of miles on them. SR71, are you sure you didn't have a 305 TPI engine? I have never heard of people snapping cranks on L98's. in Vettes.
100% positive. It was the infamous 5.7 and the first year they put it in the IROC-Z. Great low end torque and nothing made my day more than smoking a fox body mustang back in those days. The Grand Nationals were always faster though......most had plenty of mods even then.

I didn't even mention that my transmission pump failed when I was coming home from work one night at around 1am. Just cruising home easy through a residential community and it was like I threw it into neutral and the car wouldn't move. I remember it like yesterday. Good ole 700R4 needed a complete overhaul. The good thing when it was done it shifted like a million bucks.

I might have gotten a lemon but wow did that car have issues. I just would personally steer clear of them.

All this talk makes me want to dig up some old pics of it.

Last edited by SR71!; 09-06-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I hear ya! I have had my 1st Corvette (1986 coupe) for less than a year and I am already wondering when I will get my second. Even though my car is a drama queen (seems to be many things needing fixed), I will get another C4. I mostly want a 2nd color.. mine is white and I want a red one (burgundy would be great, too). I'm also not opposed to the oddball colors like bronze and light blue. Maybe a different year (85-87 most likely).

I wonder from time-to-time if I'd like a C5-newer, but I think the C4 is the best Corvette. It's such a perfect blend of modernity and "pre-electric everything." You really feel every part of that machine, it immerses you into the whole driving experience. I imagine the newer cars subdue that feeling.

I say get one while the gettin's good!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:29 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Throw another vote in for a L98. My 86 may not be the fastest Vette out there, but it has more than enough torque to get out it's or anyone else's way. In addition to that, it doesn't have the infamous Optispark and the issues with availability of good units if it ever needed replacing. Another good thing is because it has 9.5 cr, the engine runs just fine on 87 octane fuel which is obtainable just about everywhere. Mine is a cruiser and loves those curvy country roads, in light of that I upgraded to the Banski rear suspension kit and it stays planted on any road, any speed I'm willing to try without having the wife scream at me for going too fast.

About the only thing to watch out for that isn't always noted is tires. If you look into an early C4 they had 16" tires with a different rim offset than the later ones. This can be taken care of, I did by upgrading to 18" tires and rims and it's been a great combination for me.

I've also thought about a 2d Vette, but frankly I wouldn't trust the wife behind the wheel. She gets too crazy with a mini van, imagine what she could do in a Vette!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:37 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

If you have an L98 with its original multec injectors be prepared for a failure. Sometimes quite suddenly. A combination of Ethanol fuel deterioration and an unusual heat soak (like extended high speed driving) did it for me.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:48 PM
haxxx
Racer

Originally Posted by mickey5
If you have an L98 with its original multec injectors be prepared for a failure. Sometimes quite suddenly. A combination of Ethanol fuel deterioration and an unusual heat soak (like extended high speed driving) did it for me.
They are basically the same in the LT1/LT4 and I'm well aware. Had to toss mine with less than 80k on them. The L98 fell through and we're looking at an admiral blue LT1 this afternoon. Price is high but they said it is negotiable, so we will find out.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had my C4 since 1985. With many mods, it is incredibly fast and incredibly capable, but it's not a daily nor a cruiser. The ZF6 made it better than ever.

I poo-pooed the C5, for looks and other reasons, but after talking with owners, then finding an ultra-nice 2002 Vert at a good price, I like it more every time I drive it. No longer do I have much interest in C6/7s as the technology concerns me, now liking the C5's looks more than either. While not a huge fan of the stock seats, they're better than my C6's, plus many owners warmly recall long trips in their fuel sipping, ample usable storage C5.

Seems you are price sensitive and with the C5s nearing their price nadir, they can be a great buy, plus the tech level is within a handy owner's reach.

Most seem to be equipped with AT, as you seek, and we find them perhaps the easiest for entry/exit; certainly true compared to the C4 or the later gens.

My Shinoda C4 is a raw, high performance driver with very rare body kit, but this stock C5 is a very capable Corvette (of seven owned) with plenty of power, but more evolved in other areas than any C4. It has seduced me into thinking it may be the best (from my split-window to an '05, with multiple C3s) ever, an opinion common among former-C5 pals.

Surely (always is the case) your intended use drives the decison, but equally surely, a nice C5 is great as a second Vette that just may become the primary.

Nice 'problem' to have!

Last edited by whalepirot; 09-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM
haxxx
Racer

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I've had my C4 since 1985. With many mods, it is incredibly fast and incredibly capable, but it's not a daily nor a cruiser. The ZF6 made it better than ever.

I poo-pooed the C5, for looks and other reasons, but after talking with owners, then finding an ultra-nice 2002 Vert at a good price, I like it more every time I drive it. No longer do I have much interest in C6/7s as the technology concerns me, now liking the C5's looks more than either. While not a huge fan of the stock seats, they're better than my C6's, plus many owners warmly recall long trips in their fuel sipping, ample usable storage C5.

Seems you are price sensitive and with the C5s nearing their price nadir, they can be a great buy, plus the tech level is within a handy owner's reach.

Most seem to be equipped with AT, as you seek, and we find them perhaps the easiest for entry/exit; certainly true compared to the C4 or the later gens.

My Shinoda C4 is a raw, high performance driver with very rare body kit, but this stock C5 is a very capable Corvette (of seven owned) with plenty of power, but more evolved in other areas than any C4. It has seduced me into thinking it may be the best (from my split-window to an '05, with multiple C3s) ever, an opinion common among former-C5 pals.

Surely (always is the case) your intended use drives the decison, but equally surely, a nice C5 is great as a second Vette that just may become the primary.

Nice 'problem' to have!
I have nothing against the C5 but I much prefer the C4 styling. In my area, for whatever reason the mid-milage C5s command at least twice as much as a similar C4. My area is completely over-saturated with C4s so there are a lot to choose from which seems to drive the price down. Since I can get a nice well taken care of C4 for less than 10k I don't bother with C5s.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 AM
liuhisn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd vette

Want to buy mine? Needs some work. Posted it yesterday under the name Liuhisn. $2500
Old 09-10-2017, 10:55 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 81c3
I have never heard of people snapping cranks on L98's.
Neither have I. My '89 IROC-Z with the 5.7 TPI was one of the best cars I've ever owned. I guess lemons come in all forms.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:47 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have a C4 and a C5. Love them both.
Both are very different cars to drive.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I have a C4 and a C5. Love them both.
Both are very different cars to drive.
I am with you, Mark.

All three are great cars to drive and all 3 are totally different from each other to drive. 1991 6 speed supercharged, 2000 automatic and 2002 Z06, slightly modified.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I did a second but opted for a C7. Couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: Considering a second corvette...