C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ZF6 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ZF6 Oil

I know most recommend Amsoil but is 5W30 Royal Purple OK to use in my 92 ZF6?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

In the transmission?

I wouldn't use motor oil in the transmission... I used Pennzoil Synchromesh, works great.

In the engine, whatever Synthetic 5W30 is fine. I use Supertech Full Synthetic from Walmart in my C4, because well, it's old and I don't think it's worth the extra $10 for Mobil 1 for it.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, I tried finding that also at a few autoparts stores but couldn't find it but I just looked it up at and looks like a few other stores in my area carry it. Going to return the Royal Purple I bought and pick a few quarts of the Pennzoil up.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Motul 10w-60 if want the best and right stuff.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

One of the recommended lubricants for the ZF6 is the Castrol Motorsports TWS 10w-60 full synthetic motor oil available at BMW dealers. It's been in my ZF for 15 years.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:43 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I used this stuff, like many others on the forum, just did the fluid change last week!
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...0aAqusEALw_wcB

Pic of the old stuff, was down about half a quart I think
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

GM sells a synthetic manual trans oil that works well. 10W60 motor oil has been found to to cause problems by some forum members (see past threads)
The following users liked this post:
dizwiz24 (10-09-2019)
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rocco16
One of the recommended lubricants for the ZF6 is the Castrol Motorsports TWS 10w-60 full synthetic motor oil available at BMW dealers. It's been in my ZF for 15 years.
I agree.

Old thread with positive experiences - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ranny-wow.html
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by mickey5
GM sells a synthetic manual trans oil that works well. 10W60 motor oil has been found to to cause problems by some forum members (see past threads)

When I first bought The Ghost I changed to the TWS and I was OK with it because I could not compare with any other. Later on, I kept reading about Amsoil Synchromesh, gave it a chance and I was very pleased with the results. The ZF shifts smoothly with Amsoil and has never gone back to TWS.

I just did another trip (only 5,700 miles) with new Amsoil and all was great.
The following users liked this post:
vettespecial (10-11-2019)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

When I first bought The Ghost I changed to the TWS and I was OK with it because I could not compare with any other. Later on, I kept reading about Amsoil Synchromesh, gave it a chance and I was very pleased with the results. The ZF shifts smoothly with Amsoil and has never gone back to TWS.

^^
Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Tale of an inherent ZF flaw and resulting lubrication failure:

After my ZF locked up as I was doing about 70 on the interstate, I got a new ZF from Bill Boudreau (ZF doc), and some sage advice:

Bill told me this wasn't an un-common failure for the ZF. Up to that point, I had been using the GM recommended fill. which was a mineral oil base lube (non-synthetic), as I understand it to be (at that time).

The issue, as Bill explained it, is the too small size of the oil galleries, especially those feeding the reverse gear.

Its that reverse gear, or rather the lack of lubrication, that is the real issue. That gear too is synchromeshed with the others (read: engaged to the output shaft), and when not being used, it spins freely on its shaft.

Being a rather small (low) gear, it not only spins freely on its shaft, but at very high speed (especially when in 6th gear). As result, the oil film between the gear and its shaft is put to the extreme test, and with some oils that film has sometimes broken down, and then metal to metal contact begins to occur.

The metal on metal heat then becomes sufficient that the gear begins galling to the shaft and (effectively) tries to engage. (It is pre-told by a sudden dragging felt as tho the brakes had been applied. It is intermittent at first, but quickly becoming more severe; accompanied with some deep guttural groaning sound - felt as well as heard - coming from the transmission.

Within moments of the first indication of trouble, the galling is sufficient to weld the gear to the shaft! The result is essentially having two gears engaged at the same time (reverse and whatever), and the output shaft locks, "freezing" the differential pinion gear in place, and thus the rear wheels freeze in position and the car skids to a stop! (Not fun - especially on the expressway, I can tell you!)

For a price, as part of a special ZF prep package, Bill said he enlarges those galleries. But! if I didn't opt for the upgrade, I should be sure to use synthetic oil which may be sufficient to avoid a lubrication failure.

The ZF is a German design, and the recommendation was the Castrol TWS 10W-60* synthetic (from my local BMW dealer). It seemed to work fine - or at least my ZF never again locked up afterward.

Then Castrol discontinued that TWS. What to do?

Frankly, there are several good synthetic gear oil sources; AMSoil synthetic Synchromesh Gear Oil, Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, Redline synthetic Heavy Shockproof...to mention some of the popular ones. And, some (most of these mentioned) not only provide protection from that inherent reverse gear issue, but improve the ease/smoothness of shifts across the entire (transmission) temperature range.

I'm using the Redline Heavy Shockproof in my ZF, upon recommendation by a renown ZR-1 mechanic. And, like some others, I immediately felt a difference in the shifting - a bit smoother...I think.

The point is to avoid a possible catastrophe. Use a good synthetic gear oil. In the 12 years since my "lockup" mishap, I've not had further issues with any of (3) ZFs...knock on wood!
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Workman:
JimLentz (09-13-2017), WhiteC1 (10-11-2019)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:31 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

What was in my '90 ZF when I got it new? Whatever it was, it worked well until I just changed it at 53K.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:09 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

After my ZF locked up as I was doing about 70 on the interstate, I got a new ZF from Bill Boudreau (ZF doc), and some sage advice:

Bill told me this wasn't an un-common failure for the ZF. Up to that point, I had been using the GM recommended fill. which was a mineral oil base lube (non-synthetic), as I understand it to be (at that time).

The issue, as Bill explained it, is the too small size of the oil galleries, especially those feeding the reverse gear.

Its that reverse gear, or rather the lack of lubrication, that is the real issue. That gear too is synchromeshed with the others (read: engaged to the output shaft), and when not being used, it spins freely on its shaft.

Being a rather small (low) gear, it not only spins freely on its shaft, but at very high speed (especially when in 6th gear). As result, the oil film between the gear and its shaft is put to the extreme test, and with some oils that film has sometimes broken down, and then metal to metal contact begins to occur.

The metal on metal heat then becomes sufficient that the gear begins galling to the shaft and (effectively) tries to engage. (It is pre-told by a sudden dragging felt as tho the brakes had been applied. It is intermittent at first, but quickly becoming more severe; accompanied with some deep guttural groaning sound - felt as well as heard - coming from the transmission.

Within moments of the first indication of trouble, the galling is sufficient to weld the gear to the shaft! The result is essentially having two gears engaged at the same time (reverse and whatever), and the output shaft locks, "freezing" the differential pinion gear in place, and thus the rear wheels freeze in position and the car skids to a stop! (Not fun - especially on the expressway, I can tell you!)

For a price, as part of a special ZF prep package, Bill said he enlarges those galleries. But! if I didn't opt for the upgrade, I should be sure to use synthetic oil which may be sufficient to avoid a lubrication failure.

The ZF is a German design, and the recommendation was the Castrol TWS 10W-60* synthetic (from my local BMW dealer). It seemed to work fine - or at least my ZF never again locked up afterward.

Frankly, there are several good synthetic gear oil sources; AMSoil synthetic Synchromesh Gear Oil, Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, Redline synthetic Heavy Shockproof...to mention some of the popular ones. And, some (most of these mentioned) not only provide protection from that inherent reverse gear issue, but improve the ease/smoothness of shifts across the entire (transmission) temperature range.

I'm using the Redline Heavy Shockproof in my ZF, upon recommendation by a renown ZR-1 mechanic. And, like some others, I immediately felt a difference in the shifting - a bit smoother...I think.

The point is to avoid a possible catastrophe. Use a good synthetic gear oil. In the 12 years since my "lockup" mishap, I've not had further issues with any of (3) ZFs...knock on wood!
Thanks for the info! If that happened to me there would likely be a fluid leak
Old 09-13-2017, 12:54 PM
SR71!
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone on the qualities of the Royal purple?

Also, I though that GM syncromesh semi-synthetic is highly recommended.....isn't it?.., or is it the full synthetic GM man. trans. fluid??

I too will be having mine changed soon and am following this thread closely. I really don't want to make a fine shifting trans. with albeit old fluid shift worse with new fluid.

Last edited by SR71!; 09-13-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:59 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Tale of an inherent ZF flaw and resulting lubrication failure

Castrol Professional TWS 10w60 has been superseded by Castrol Edge SuperCar 10w60 as per ZF Doc
Old 10-09-2019, 02:15 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Royal Purple makes a Synchromesh oil, some CF users say it is good in the ZF6. Any synchromesh 5w30 oil will work in the ZF6, which one you use depends on how long you want to leave it in. Pennzoil and Valvoline synchromesh are good but will not last as long as the synthetic products from RP and Amsoil.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:27 AM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

As a side note, I currently own Paul's old 95, with the ZFdoc remanufactured transmission. Thank you Paul for the concise explanation of the root cause of these transmission failures! My car currently has 131K miles on it, and the transmission is working flawlessly. I think it had around 70K when Paul experienced his Oh **** moment.... It has AMSoil Synthetic Synchomesh in it now, from the most recent PO, and it shifts very nicely. I recently installed the ZFdoc short shifter, and couldn't be happier with the set up! Thanks again, Paul.

Regards,
John

Old 10-12-2019, 05:59 AM
wardie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just purchased my base coupe 94 6 speed changed all fluids went with Amsoil Synchromesh shifts fine

Get notified of new replies

To ZF6 Oil

Quick Reply: ZF6 Oil