Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Touching up the paint.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:13 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Touching up the paint.

So i've been touching up the paint very slowly on the Vette, doing little by little each time. The pictures make it look better than it does in person, but the car looks much better then it did. I have a lot more chips and flaws in the paint to fix, but this scuff on the bumper has bothered me the most since it's a black against white contrast. Here's what I used to touch up the paint, sadly i've been way to slow and the paints starting to get thicker inside the bottle from getting air after using it so many times in just a few spots. I would recommend if you use this touch up paint to get as much done in one sitting as possible. I'm going to have to purchase another one. The color match is VERY close for 28 year old white paint!

Amazon Amazon
Attached Images     
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

lookin' good -

I've been touching up paint chips for at least 30 years and have yet to master it. one thing I might add, is the dupi-color paint is lacquer based, so a drop or two of lacquer thinner or acetone is all you need to thin it out. I've found the brush in the bottle is pretty much a joke. I usually use a fine artist brush (00, or 000) with thinned paint, or fine touch up sticks --

I just bought a Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen after seeing a youtube video. thought i'd give it a try --

Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

I actually watched that exact video, neat little product! The thing is most of the chips I have are not from rocks so I need to use a brush. I didn't even know touch up sticks like that existed, could I get a link to the ones you like the most? I've assumed you've used a lot of different things over 30 years!

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 09-18-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
I actually watched that exact video, neat little product! The thing is most of the chips I have are not from rocks so I need to use a brush. I didn't even know touch up sticks like that existed, could I get a link to the ones you like the most? I've assumed you've used a lot of different things over 30 years!
You can get those small brushes here: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...cessories.aspx

They have good products, I've used a number of their items with success. No fi, just a satisfied customer.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:56 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe C5 C2
You can get those small brushes here: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...cessories.aspx

They have good products, I've used a number of their items with success. No fi, just a satisfied customer.
Wow those prices are awesome, thank you for the link.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

if you need to purchase additional arctic white, duplicolor also sells it in a rattle can --

you can spray a small amount into a small container and use it for touch up. the good thing about it is it's pre-thinned. it might take additional coats of paint to built paint thickness, but I've found stone touch up is time consuming. I had one chip in my 85's passenger's door, that took days to built the thickness. one rattle can should give you a lifetime supply of touch up paint.

BTW, I usually purchase my touch up sticks on fleabay. smart shopping gets you really good pricing and free shipping. they come in several sizes, and I keep a good supply around the shop.

another item I've used over the years is a Paasche flow pencil. it's kind of an airbrush, without the air supply. kind of works like the paint pen with gravity. I've had mixed results using it for stone chips. it really works good with pin-stripping paint when restoring old muscle car emblems from the 60's and 70's. it's on my to-do list, but i'm going to try to refinish an L98 valve cover emblem using the flow pencil. actually, i'm going to try the paint scheme used on the 91 L98 (one year only) emblem. no real reason, just want to see if I can do it.

Last edited by Joe C; 09-20-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Extremely useful reply's. Thank you very much guys, all really good stuff to know.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Looks good man. I touched some up a few months ago with some very fine paint brushes. Came out pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
BrandensBeast (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You guys may think this is crazy, but one of the best things I found to fill in paint chips is to use a long pine needle as your brush. Dab it in the paint then dab it in the chip a couple of times. Fills it nice and best part is, there are plenty of them and they are free.
The following users liked this post:
car addict (09-20-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
if you need to purchase additional arctic white, duplicolor also sells it in a rattle can -- you can spray a small amount into a small container and use it for touch up. the good thing about it is it's pre-thinned. it might take additional coats of paint to built paint thickness,.......
I use the same tiny paint brushes that Joe C showed. I also use the rattle cans for paint. Instead of another container, I spray it into one side of the cap and use the brush from there. It dries pretty quickly so you don't need to spray a whole lot at a time. After several times with this method, the cap gets a little loaded up with paint and the result is a little thicker paint that makes it easier to build up the paint as you apply it.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Touching up the paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touching up the paint.