Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New member 89 C4

Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Navyfootball70
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member 89 C4

I bought my first Vette and am having a blast on the SC/NC mountain roads. But, there are so many things that need to be fixed! 2 things top my list. First, there is a sweet smell when it's hot. I keep looking for a leak, smoke, something! Nothing until this am. I saw just a smidge of oil on the top of the engine, drivers side, under the injector rail, toward the front of the engine. Second, I'm thinking I have a climate control blend door issue. My freon has leaked out, but when it was charged, the ac worked great. And, although the in and out heater hoses to the heater core are both hot, I have no heat. Where is this blend door??? The car fogs up on the inside and it's next to impossible to clear the windshield. It's doable by rolling the windows down, but if it's raining, you're stuck.

Last edited by Navyfootball70; 09-20-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The following users liked this post:
Navyfootball70 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

A sweet smell is usually associated with an antifreeze leak, not oil.... Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default 89 Ca

Originally Posted by Navyfootball70
I bought my first Vette and am having a blast on the SC/NC mountain roads. But, there are so many things that need to be fixed! 2 things top my list. First, there is a sweet smell when it's hot. I keep looking for a leak, smoke, something! Nothing until this am. I saw just a smidge of oil on the top of the engine, drivers side, under the injector rail, toward the front of the engine. Second, I'm thinking I have a climate control blend door issue. My freon has leaked out, but when it was charged, the ac worked great. And, although the in and out heater hoses to the heater core are both hot, I have no heat. Where is this blend door??? The car fogs up on the inside and it's next to impossible to clear the windshield. It's doable by rolling the windows down, but if it's raining, you're stuck.
Welcome to the forum and god luck with the Car I just bought my first Vette 3 months ago 1989 C4 117,000 miles on it replaced 4 sensors and now it runs great. lot's of small things to do yet
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

If tour windshield fogs up, You have a heatercore leak. if you are diy, search for "fastguy method"

In the process of changing the heatercore you will be carefully removing the blend door actuator motor and you can test it to see if it is working then. m

If you go the fastguy route, remove the passenger side seat, grab a full set of 1/4" sockets and wobbly extensions. You will wrap tape around the wobbly so its not so floppy. you will use tape to keep the hidden screws in the socket and you will buy a cheap mechanics mirror set for 5$ to see the hidden screw. You will be working on your back. There is a diagonal cross brace that needs to come out and i had to grind down one socket (i think it was either a 10mm or a 13mm to get it to fit...you will know what i mean when u get in there)

Do not buy the spectra brand from rock auto as it did not fit, the pipes were not bent the exact same as oem and my plastic heater box shroud had to be modifed (ie, cut) to make it work which really sucked. Search for brands that worked.

Remove the passenger seat.

edit: for removing the rubber from the engine compartment pipes i cut them in the middle then made a slit (carefully) and peeled them off. i then bought a couple pieces of hose to replace with new hose. they are not the same sizes!! take the piece you cut to the auto store and sie it up to match. ise the fresh cut face which will be accurate in size, not the part that is deformed over the pipe nipples.
edit 2: plan on a full day unless you are young and very agile.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 09-20-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the forum navyfootball70. Assuming your new vette is not your primary car, getting things fixed are not much of a problem since it is 27 years old. Once they are fixed and you can just get in and go, that's when you really enjoy it. Get any safety issues taken care of first.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome. looks like you have gotten some good reply's.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Navyfootball70
Cruising

Default Yikes!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
If tour windshield fogs up, You have a heatercore leak. if you are diy, search for "fastguy method"

In the process of changing the heatercore you will be carefully removing the blend door actuator motor and you can test it to see if it is working then. m

If you go the fastguy route, remove the passenger side seat, grab a full set of 1/4" sockets and wobbly extensions. You will wrap tape around the wobbly so its not so floppy. you will use tape to keep the hidden screws in the socket and you will buy a cheap mechanics mirror set for 5$ to see the hidden screw. You will be working on your back. There is a diagonal cross brace that needs to come out and i had to grind down one socket (i think it was either a 10mm or a 13mm to get it to fit...you will know what i mean when u get in

Do not buy the spectra brand from rock auto as it did not fit, the pipes were not bent the exact same as oem and my plastic heater box shroud had to be modifed (ie, cut) to make it work which really sucked. Search for brands that worked.

Remove the passenger seat.

edit: for removing the rubber from the engine compartment pipes i cut them in the middle then made a slit (carefully) and peeled them off. i then bought a couple pieces of hose to replace with new hose. they are not the same sizes!! take the piece you cut to the auto store and sie it up to match. ise the fresh cut face which will be accurate in size, not the part that is deformed over the pipe nipples.
edit 2: plan on a full day unless you are young and very agile.

Do you really think heater core? No wet floorboards. It only seems to fog up on high humidity mornings... or rainy days. Once the sun is out and hitting it, no issues. I work 3rd shift, so I have to check the weather before I drive it. I don't want to get stuck at work waiting on the sun!
So, this blend door thing is under the passenger dash. At least you didn't say the dash has to come out. That worried me.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Navy, welcome. I also own a 89, and have had lots of fun working on her. That sweet smell is your heater core leaking, causing the fog issue. It actually is not hard at all to replace. I just did mine and it took under 3 hours total.
One thing I advise, which might make some cringe, is don't bother with the top screws. They are very hard to reach. I took out the bottom ones with no problem, and just pulled the cover off breaking the top part where the screws were, my thinking was that it's not sealed, so when it went back together there might only be a small gap where it broke. I was correct. You could also put duct tape on it to cover. Doing this will make it easier and save time IMO.
I also did a lot work on the top end of the motor, added chrome covers, roller rockers, and painted the rest to make it look faster lol.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Navyfootball70
Cruising

Default Pics

Originally Posted by 1bdvet

Will get right on that. I don't have a decent one of the whole car. I guess I committed a Corvette sacrilege and had fender stripes and wheels painted to match the stripes. It's all white... needed something to break it up!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Navyfootball70
Cruising

Originally Posted by Ahnenerbe
Hey Navy, welcome. I also own a 89, and have had lots of fun working on her. That sweet smell is your heater core leaking, causing the fog issue. It actually is not hard at all to replace. I just did mine and it took under 3 hours total.
One thing I advise, which might make some cringe, is don't bother with the top screws. They are very hard to reach. I took out the bottom ones with no problem, and just pulled the cover off breaking the top part where the screws were, my thinking was that it's not sealed, so when it went back together there might only be a small gap where it broke. I was correct. You could also put duct tape on it to cover. Doing this will make it easier and save time IMO.
I also did a lot work on the top end of the motor, added chrome covers, roller rockers, and painted the rest to make it look faster lol.
It's honestly scary to think of replacing the heater core. I can change oil and do basic stuff, but hearing that stresses me out! It's not a matter of not wanting to... it's a matter of sheer ignorance and fear of doing something wrong and it costing more to fix my mess than what it would have originally.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Navyfootball70
Cruising

Originally Posted by Fireeagle
Welcome to the forum navyfootball70. Assuming your new vette is not your primary car, getting things fixed are not much of a problem since it is 27 years old. Once they are fixed and you can just get in and go, that's when you really enjoy it. Get any safety issues taken care of first.
Definitely! No, it's a 3rd car. I thought it might become my daughter's next month when she gets her license... but, she doesn't want it. She ran over a curb ONE time... yes, I freaked... but, i got over it. She didn't.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Navyfootball70
Cruising

Originally Posted by BillDurant
Welcome to the forum and god luck with the Car I just bought my first Vette 3 months ago 1989 C4 117,000 miles on it replaced 4 sensors and now it runs great. lot's of small things to do yet
Exactly! And, our SC roads leave a little to be desired. Feel every stinking pothole and bump. The targa top squeaks... the windows, when they are down, vibrate to the point of me wondering if they might break when I hit a pothole. But, the switchback curves in the mountains... reminds me of younger days on a motorcycle. Been visiting a Corvette club here in town and trying to meet people "in the know." She's definitely not the prettiest girl in the parking lot, but she's my girl.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Navyfootball70
Cruising

1bdvet (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM
L.V. Vette
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the club!
Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

It's honestly scary to think of replacing the heater core. I can change oil and do basic stuff, but hearing that stresses me out! It's not a matter of not wanting to... it's a matter of sheer ignorance and fear of doing something wrong and it costing more to fix my mess than what it would have originally.
dont stress. just take everything one step at a time. 3 years ago i bought my first vette and couldnt even change oil. now i can do headgaskets no problem.

this forum is the shizzle
Navyfootball70 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

If you want to do work yourself, get an FSM (Field Service Manual) before anything else. You can find these sold via CDROM for less than $40. Lots and lots of info.

I got a Hayes manual as well, its different wording and pics help clarify this and that.

Coolant, it may be leaking a little under the carpet, not enough to make it wet.

Welcome to the C4 family, Live Long and Drive!

Last edited by kael; 09-20-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: I hate typos

Get notified of new replies

To New member 89 C4

Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice ride, enjoy the thrill of driving America's only true sports car.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

beautiful vette! Welcome to the forums, there's tons of great info and people here
Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
If tour windshield fogs up, You have a heatercore leak.
What he said

Sweet smell and fogged windows usually = heater core failure/leak

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member 89 C4