C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Have i got a lot to learn

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 PM
stabac
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Have i got a lot to learn

Just read thread about installing keyless entry. Every thing is electrical, when I get frustrated I go back and work on my '63 Spyder where everything is nuts and bolts! Had my '85 Vette about 2 weeks now and I'm still trying to figure out how to replace tail light bulb and 1 burned out dash light.
I'm a little disappointed in the CD Shop Manual, it seems to tell you what you have to do but not how to do it.
My wife says I'm married to either the computer or the car,,,or both.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Oh you're in for a treat with the tail light bulb! Hopefully it's an inner one because that's easier. You have to remove the license plate, reverse light and then reach your arm in the hole to access the two 10mm screws that hold the tail light lens in place. If looking at the lens from the back of the car there's one in the bottom right corner and one in the upper left corner. Once removed the lens will come out and you can disconnect the harness and change the bulb. If it's the outer bulb then you just reach in through the inner lens hole after you remove the lens. You know, the classic reach around lol. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:37 PM
stabac
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
You know, the classic reach around lol. .
Got a good laugh from me Dt. You must be a Veteran, I haven't heard that one in years.
You know it has to be the outer one, guess I'll just have to get in there and do it.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by stabac
Had my '85 Vette about 2 weeks now and I'm still trying to figure out how to replace tail light bulb and 1 burned out dash light. I'm a little disappointed in the CD Shop Manual, it seems to tell you what you have to do but not how to do it.
Two very effective means of gaining knowledge is learning to use the advanced search function on this forum. And searching Google/Youtube.

Another is asking questions here.

Good Luck
Old 09-28-2017, 06:41 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Had my '85 Vette about 2 weeks now and I'm still trying to figure out how to replace tail light bulb and 1 burned out dash light.
Assuming the dash bulb is in your instrument cluster, it may not be too bad. There are 4 lights available from the front, that's the ones I had go bad in mine initially. You need to remove the bezel off the instrument cluster and there are 4 metal caps there, each covering a bulb and the covers pop off from the front. Now there are apparently 2 type bulbs used, one is bi-pin (2 straight legs) and the other has the contacts wrapped around the bottom of the bulb, they are no interchangeable. Pull the cap, reach in with the tool shown (got mine off eBay) and pull the bulb straight out. Install is the reverse, but watch to insure you do it straight if you have bi-pins.

If it's not one of these four bulbs, it will require removal and disassembly of the instrument cluster. If it's a bulb in the dic, that's different as is the light on the hush panel.

Check out Batee.com, Bryan has a lot of photo's, parts and info on his website in addition to repairing clusters if you need that done. If you need repairs, I recommend Bryan highly.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2017, 08:17 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Just read thread about installing keyless entry. Every thing is electrical, when I get frustrated I go back and work on my '63 Spyder where everything is nuts and bolts! Had my '85 Vette about 2 weeks now and I'm still trying to figure out how to replace tail light bulb and 1 burned out dash light.
I'm a little disappointed in the CD Shop Manual, it seems to tell you what you have to do but not how to do it.
My wife says I'm married to either the computer or the car,,,or both.
Hi

First thing to do when you get a corvette get the shop manual.
The 85 C4 is quite simple really, the ecm will tell you what is wrong with fault codes. some things are a little more complicated without the shop manual wiring and diagnostic diagrams.

I have had my 85 for over 20 years, she is reliable and gives very little trouble. The little woman may get jealous of my car needing my time and attention at times. She calls my vette the other woman..

The dash is easy to remove and take apart, but first try replacing the bulbs without pulling the dash out.

TIP ! check battees website www.batee.com for C4 dash repair guides and tips, also i recommend replacing the factory halogen bulbs that can damage the dash with xenon or led bulbs.

I fitted a immobilizer with central locking hooked up, just lock arm activate immobiliser / unlock by pressing the button on the remote :thumbs

The shop manual will have the wiring colors for connecting the keyless entry, is quite simple when you look at just a small part of the wiring diagram in the shop manual like door door wiring diagram.

Is a pity photobucket have stopped us from posting pics recently , will see if i can get past it to post some diagrams.

For the tail lights yes they can be a pain, you need slender thin arms ... promise the little woman a nice dinner if she reaches up from under the car and pops the light globe socket out from under the car to replace the globe. I guarantee a mans arms make it tough work , will look like you have been attacked by a cat after the globe has been replaced.

Lucky for me i fitted the 91-96 bumpers, just undo two screws take the lens off and replace bulb put lens back on ...

Cheers and enjoy your C4

Last edited by gerardvg; 09-28-2017 at 08:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stabac (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Just to add a lesson I seem to keep learning (or maybe cant seem to learn), be very patient and careful with the plastic interior pieces. They crack and break easily and are not cheap to replace. I seem to mess one up every time I take anything apart.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Is a pity photobucket have stopped us from posting pics recently , will see if i can get past it to post some diagrams.
Photobucket is not needed to post pictures. Go to the little square with the mountain in it, click on it, click on Browse Your Device, and load photos directly from your computer.

Get notified of new replies

To Have i got a lot to learn

Quick Reply: Have i got a lot to learn