C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replace Master and Slave Clutch, no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Wardiker
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Master and Slave Clutch, no start

I successfully replaced the Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders, everything works fine, but the car Will not crank.
I suspect maybe a Neutral bypass switch somewere?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:44 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a safety switch activated by the clutch peak under the dash. I imagine it got knocked around our disconnected during the master cylinder install.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:59 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by LTxDave
There is a safety switch activated by the clutch peak under the dash. I imagine it got knocked around our disconnected during the master cylinder install.

If you disconnect the connector of it and jumper the wire and it starts then you've confirmed your problem. Part is no longer available though so take that into account.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Wardiker
8th Gear

Well that made good sense, So I think I found the switch. Its activated when the clutch is not depressed (or at the top of the swing). I measured for continuity with the plug detached, open no matter if I pressed it or not.

So I jumped the connector as you suggested, No luck.

Im scratching my head. Ill go to the fuse box next I guess

Agh Fuses are all fine

Last edited by Wardiker; 10-03-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:57 PM
steveb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue last year. I jumped the connecter and got nothing. Once I looked more closely at what I had done, figured out I jumped the connector to the switch. Needed to jump the other end. Once I got the right connector jumped, all was well. Might be worth a double check to be sure.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Wardiker
8th Gear

Thanks guys, you were right, funny it has 2 switches on the clutch. I looked up the part, then used a scope camera to get a look up there, matched it , traced the wires, jumped them. SUCCESS.

I think I mashed the pedal all the way down when the slave was out of it, so I probably screwed it up, kinda remember a click when doing that.

Did I mention that the push rod fell into the bell housing as well. 3 days of magnets and cameras and I got that.

I started to think "how am I making my life harder at ever turn". Should have just double clutched. LOL

Cheers....... and whew
Old 10-07-2017, 11:53 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Glad you got it done. Couple of things/tips. Insure you have the bottom switch on the clutch pedal as it should be, that's the one that disengages the cruise control so leave that one alone. The one additional thing to know AFAIK the neutral start switch on the pivot of the clutch is not available new so it's either fix or make do.

On the bell housing, check out Menards. They have a telescoping light that has a magnet on the end of the light. You can reach in places and snag things you otherwise might not see or get to. IIRC they were about $5 ea

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Master and Slave Clutch, no start

Quick Reply: Replace Master and Slave Clutch, no start