Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Value of a 1985 Corvette With 12K Miles 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:08 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Wow... the 85 vette L98 is not reliable? Not special? No more or less special or reliable than any 93, 94 or 95.... thats pure bullshit! I have a 33k mile 86. Did some brake work and shocks and a few other things, and the car is as reliable as any other C4... and Ive owned all of them except the LT4,,,, including the LT5.

So yea, he goes and buys a LT1 car with 40, 50k miles on it... for 10 grand... hes no better off at all... in fact not in as good a shape as he would be for the super low mile 85 hes looking at.

Maintenance and all other things equal, I would pick a near new L98 over an LT1 with medium miles any day of the week... While there could be some rubber parts needing changed, everything else is in better condition, the seats, the paint, the glass, all the electrical switches, virtually everything looks newer and has less use.

I love how when a guy comes in here with a 150k mile $3000. POS everyone tells him he should have spent more on a car with lower miles and better overall condition because hes going to wind up spending 10-12 grand on it and its still going to be a 150k mile POS......

THEN a guy comes along with a very low mile car, needing very little, thats NOT $3000... and hes told he should pass on it because its too much to pay.....

Hes gonna pay the same for either in the long run.... might as well start with a low mile car in excellent shape for a few grand more.....

Like myself, theres plenty of guys who like the look of the early cars better than the later C4's.... and maybe dont care about the 50 extra horse power the LT1 offers... Why is it a crime to spend more on a prime example of what one really likes? ITS NOT!

Ive owned 8 Vettes to date.... the 2 best ones Ive had, that needed the least, were my 2002 Z06 with 15k miles on it and the one I have now, my 86 that I bought with 33k miles on it....

Take a look around at prices on Vettes... the higher priced cars are either limited production, race prepped or very low mileage originals... Theres a reason for that.... you cannot ever unwind the mileage and its only original once.

If a car was stored properly and maintained, least used and low miles are the best bet....
The following 3 users liked this post by 81c3:
convas (10-06-2017), FOURSPEEDVETTE (10-05-2017), Joe C (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Bigpoop
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Many good comments....and advice.

​​​​​​ bottom line...32 year old car OF NO PARTICULAR INTEREST in either performance, likability, or collectability.

Keep moving folks...nothing to see here.

If you gotta have it..offer $3,000.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:34 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bigpoop
Many good comments....and advice.

​​​​​If you gotta have it..offer $3,000.
Thats sound advice since he said he offered $9300. and was turned down already....
The following users liked this post:
Thack98 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1

I think you are caught up on the miles OP. A zr1 or grandsport c4 with 12,000 miles value wise is never going to in any of our life times be worth something special. If you plan to drive it forget it.

If you park it or drive it, know that by the years alone MANY things go wrong with these cars.

1985: coldstart, suspension, wheel size and brake size, 2 bolt engine, cast iron heads, 230hp?, 4+3 is okay, dash issues, long crank times, slow windows, probably more I forgot.

A couple of us are trying to save you from very possible regrets.

Have you owned a vette before? It's not that special it is a GM sooo.

Good cars, but I feel like you are wrapped up in the details of the car and not the car.

Good luck if that is really what you are looking for.
no flames polo, but geez, you trying to scare off the guy, or what? 85's are not all that bad. cold start (injector) - so it's got a ninth injector, so what? suspension - can't see where you're going with that one. personally, I love the firm ride of my Z51. wheel size - good one, but an easy fix. brakes - adequate for the street, and an easy (pad) upgrade, and IMO, no ABS is a bonus. 2-bolt main - again, adequate unless you're trying to build HP. iron heads - not the best, but somewhat bulletproof - with aluminum, most folks will or have replaced head gaskets at least once. my 85 went 30 years before I had to pull the heads. 4+3, not my preference, and no experience, so I can't comment. dash issues - other than polarizing film, no issues with my 32 year old digital dash. long crank times - mine starts within seconds. slow windows - yes, but a common upgrade. I once ran a test on a (new) nylon ribbon style vs, the later scissors style - up/down times within .5 second of each other. granted, the later, scissors style is more dependable, thus the upgrade.

granted, technology has improved the breed over the 11 or 12 years of production, but the 85 is what it is. in it's purest form, a more simple platform. yes, it has it shortcomings, but any and all, can be addressed. as far as C4's go, from a maintenance standpoint, the 85 is probably the easiest to work on. i'd rather change a half dozen distributors and water pumps on an L98 than one water pump/opti on an LT1/LT4. performance wise, an 85 will break any posted speed limit - anything beyond that is overkill. I know it's not apples to apples, but my G92, 230 horse, 85 pulled stronger than my standard geared, 250 horse, 1990. a clean, well cared for 85 is nothing to snub your nose at in the corvette world. not the best, but what corvette is? overall, I had more issues with both my 90's and my 96 than I ever did with my 85. - peace....
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe C:
81c3 (10-04-2017), Randy M (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 AM
DTGJASON
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=pologreen1;1595702840]
I think you are caught up on the miles OP. A zr1 or grandsport c4 with 12,000 miles value wise is never going to in any of our life times be worth something special. If you plan to drive it forget it.

If you park it or drive it, know that by the years alone MANY things go wrong with these cars.

1985: coldstart, suspension, wheel size and brake size, 2 bolt engine, cast iron heads, 230hp?, 4+3 is okay, dash issues, long crank times, slow windows, probably more I forgot.

A couple of us are trying to save you from very possible regrets.

Have you owned a vette before? It's not that special it is a GM sooo.

Good cars, but I feel like you are wrapped up in the details of the car and not the car.

thanks everyone...this really helps.....the car IMO has original paint....the car is medium blue....I would have the car looked over by a pro to confirm my hunches....the interior is mint....dead stock mint....and the carfax matches up to the story so I have no reason not to believe the car is an original survivor....but of course I would confirm all of this....it drove great....very tight...no banging....etc etc....I have had many sports cars....I have had a 99 corvette....vipers... etc etc.....basically I am looking for that first gen style b/c when I was 11 years old and that car came out I was blown away....and I still like that style the most of all c4 vettes...but in the same token....I am trying to educate myself on these cars as best as I can.....so keep the ideas coming.....trust me at 8k or so I would love the deal...no way at 11k.....any other advise I'll be happy to take in.....!

Good luck if that is really what you are looking for.[/QUO
Old 10-05-2017, 09:14 AM
DTGJASON
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
It sounds like you really want an early C4, so if this car ticks all of your boxes why not but it ? Could a later car be a better driver ? Sure, but if it is not what YOU want then why bother ? The price is a high, do not buy it counting on it as an appreciating investment, but you only live once, so why not have some fun ?
Good question.....I am just trying to find the right price to pay....and from all of the comments....which are all valid....its hard to put a price on it....my business side wont let me over pay because I like the car....which I do.....and this time of the year in the midwest.....I should be getting a good deal on it....
Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I would buy the car. It sounds like it is what you want. Just inspect it as thoroughly as you can. I would attempt to negotiate with the owner if possible. I hear what your saying about the early C4. I remember when they came out I was about the same age as you were. One thing I did learn through experience is that miles are not the be all end all. There could still some issues just from sitting.
Randy M (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 AM
DTGJASON
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ETM
I would buy the car. It sounds like it is what you want. Just inspect it as thoroughly as you can. I would attempt to negotiate with the owner if possible. I hear what your saying about the early C4. I remember when they came out I was about the same age as you were. One thing I did learn through experience is that miles are not the be all end all. There could still some issues just from sitting.
hence the good and the bad of super low miles......ill be posting the tag to decode all of the options later today...lady will be sending it over....Thx Jason
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
I know what you mean about the early styling - the flat tail, the round tail lights, the black belt body molding. IMO, one advantage with an 85 is the old iron head, bullet proof, L98, and pre-ABS braking. I originally bought my 85 some 22 years ago - then 33K, now 161K miles on the clock. put some money into it over the years, but for some reason, I just can't part with it. so, a real value on the car, well, if it's really nice, and it sounds like you want the early styling, $11K, IMO, is not really a bad price. whatever you do, good luck - keep us informed -
I bought my 85 brand new in 86, still having fun with it (31 years and 90K). I hope I can get 160K out of my machine. And I am with you Joe, don't see me without this vehicle my lifetime. It has been an excellent very reliable machine to this point with up to now just the standard maintenance. This year has been a little different. I haven't driven it all summer because I started out with what I thought was just a rear pinion seal replacement and has morphed in to a full blown re-do. Thank you for your insight and participation to this forum. You are a great asset here and are one of the many reasons I finally decided to join after lurking all summer. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DTGJASON
Good question.....I am just trying to find the right price to pay....and from all of the comments....which are all valid....its hard to put a price on it....my business side wont let me over pay because I like the car....which I do.....and this time of the year in the midwest.....I should be getting a good deal on it....
What does "over pay" mean?

There isn't one opinion on this forum that can help you determine that. Everyone has a different price points and criteria for making their decisions. The answer is, if you buy it and you and the seller are happy at that point, everyone made a fair transaction. The test comes in regret if things start to go wrong and then you are second guessing the whole transaction and you won't know that until you buy the car or not. Good luck with your decision. Oh, incase you're interested, I say go for it.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigpoop
​​​​​​ bottom line...32 year old car OF NO PARTICULAR INTEREST in either performance, likability, or collectability....
Keep moving folks...nothing to see here.
If you gotta have it..offer $3,000.

Where do these guys come from?
Thack98 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Wow... the 85 vette L98 is not reliable? Not special? No more or less special or reliable than any 93, 94 or 95.... thats pure bullshit! I have a 33k mile 86. Did some brake work and shocks and a few other things, and the car is as reliable as any other C4... and Ive owned all of them except the LT4,,,, including the LT5.

So yea, he goes and buys a LT1 car with 40, 50k miles on it... for 10 grand... hes no better off at all... in fact not in as good a shape as he would be for the super low mile 85 hes looking at.

Maintenance and all other things equal, I would pick a near new L98 over an LT1 with medium miles any day of the week... While there could be some rubber parts needing changed, everything else is in better condition, the seats, the paint, the glass, all the electrical switches, virtually everything looks newer and has less use.

I love how when a guy comes in here with a 150k mile $3000. POS everyone tells him he should have spent more on a car with lower miles and better overall condition because hes going to wind up spending 10-12 grand on it and its still going to be a 150k mile POS......

THEN a guy comes along with a very low mile car, needing very little, thats NOT $3000... and hes told he should pass on it because its too much to pay.....

Hes gonna pay the same for either in the long run.... might as well start with a low mile car in excellent shape for a few grand more.....

Like myself, theres plenty of guys who like the look of the early cars better than the later C4's.... and maybe dont care about the 50 extra horse power the LT1 offers... Why is it a crime to spend more on a prime example of what one really likes? ITS NOT!

Ive owned 8 Vettes to date.... the 2 best ones Ive had, that needed the least, were my 2002 Z06 with 15k miles on it and the one I have now, my 86 that I bought with 33k miles on it....

Take a look around at prices on Vettes... the higher priced cars are either limited production, race prepped or very low mileage originals... Theres a reason for that.... you cannot ever unwind the mileage and its only original once.

If a car was stored properly and maintained, least used and low miles are the best bet....
I was planning on making a reply to this subject, but I think you have stated exactly, word for word, what I was thinking. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2017, 12:20 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Another way to look at it OP is that if you are going to keep it 5, 10, 20 years then it is probably worth trying to get this car. The low miles and being unmolested are worth something down the road. You are starting with a really clean car. You can drive it, keep it maintained and clean and it's always going to be a beautiful car.

If you are only going to keep it a year or two, you may not be able to get back what you put in. In that case you had a really nice care for a year or two for a couple thousand dollars.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by DTGJASON
My guess is I would drive it at the most 2000 miles a year
9-10k youare both doing pretty good tell him to look around see what a nice LT4 or 80k mi C5 is going for then call you back.
on his end not many out there like his so its worth it and it isnt. If you got the coin and dig 85s stay at it
Personally as time goes on liking the early ones more and more, less bs to go wrong. Simple fun and easy to maintain

12k miles isnt much so if it needed a little TLC may be worth pursuing if you want to keep and drive long term

Cheaper than buying a new car!

Last edited by cv67; 10-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Randy M (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 02:36 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Ok, now you're seeking opinion regarding price. I'll give you a single price-point.

I have a 4+3, Z51, 2-tone blue, cloth sportseat, dual-top 85. I purchased it new. When I sell it, it will be bought from "the original owner". I have every original part that has been taken off the car since new except the battery, oil filter, and original Gatorbacks. Always stored indoors, and lightly driven. The paint has never had a power buffer applied to it, it is exactly the way it was when it left Bowling Green, fish-eyes, orange-peel and all. It is in exceptional good condition, and has 6 NCRS Top Flights (two at Nationals in 2007 and 2016, both 98.5+), a McClellan, and a 5-Star Crossed Flag Award that back up the condition and "originality" claims. IMO, it has a unique combination of attributes that separate it from "just another 85" Corvette. The color, the options, the award history, original owner, and very un-dorked with original condition.

There is a gentleman in NCRS that has shown interest in owning my 85. He likes the color, he likes C4's, and he doesn't yet own an 85. We are still a bit apart on price, and I'm not convinced I want to let it go anyway, but his current offer is a few thousand higher than the 12,000 you are contemplating. My car has 55,000 miles on it. Mileage ISN'T everything. Condition and provenance is.

So is agreement between a willing buyer and a willing seller without the buyer having to buy, nor the seller having to sell, after a reasonable time and exposure in the marketplace to other qualified potential purchasers. This is the definition of "market price".

If it is truly an 11,000 mile Medium Blue 4+3 1985 in exceptional original condition, $12,000 seems about right to me. Because I have a standing offer of higher than that for a similar car with higher mileage, but stronger provenance, between two individuals with extensive backgrounds in evaluating and recognizing exceptional Corvettes, regardless of year. (NCRS).

Think about it. $12K does not have a lot of purchasing power. A 10 year old Nissan Altima sells for 12K. I can find 20 of those on CL by the end of the day. How many exceptional 32 year old Corvettes are still available, and how easy are they to find? "Rare opportunities" also add value. I say go for it. 85's are easy Corvettes to own and enjoy. Not much goes wrong with them if they haven't been dorked-up.
My .02

I believe its $11,000. with 12,000 miles...
Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

End of the day there are a lot of out there, Here is one with 30k on the odometer, probably grab it for $7700 to $8000. https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ct...312232577.html

Really up to the OP, but I think the underlying point everyone is trying to make is that you would certainly be paying a premium and maybe a bit more for the car the OP mentions.

Last edited by bac22; 10-05-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:13 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bac22
End of the day there are a lot of out there, Here is one with 30k on the odometer, probably grab it for $7700 to $8000. https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ct...312232577.html

Really up to the OP, but I think the underlying point everyone is trying to make is that you would certainly be paying a premium and maybe a bit more for the car the OP mentions.
First impressions I get is the engine is filthy, I see rust on the metal bits and aluminum is oxidized...seats look like theyre at about 50k miles...aftermarket radio.... that's NOT what mine looked like with 33k on it.... I wouldn't trust Craigslit at all....

Last edited by 81c3; 10-05-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Value of a 1985 Corvette With 12K Miles 4 Speed

Old 10-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Mexican food does it for me...........
Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
An unbiased honest assessment. At this point the car has either been over driven to be a collector that was preserved and under driven to feel good about racking up miles on.

An 85 is an 85. It's just a car and not one of the better models. No real appeal to it.

If the buyer is rich and has room for a 1985 with like 500 miles on it to chance that in 2045+ it will be worth money fine.

Otherwise this guy is paying for low miles on a car that does not earn anything extra from those things. 6-8k is just as fair as any other 85 IMO.

I just hope he enjoys it when he gets it. Seems like "corvette" and low miles, condition is what is holding his interest.

These cars have no value including the "zr1" I want this guy to understand that.

Not my money, I'm out.

OP for 15K I can point you to several zr1 cars that are decent. THINK ABOUT THAT.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:09 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pologreen1
An unbiased honest assessment. At this point the car has either been over driven to be a collector that was preserved and under driven to feel good about racking up miles on.

An 85 is an 85. It's just a car and not one of the better models. No real appeal to it.

If the buyer is rich and has room for a 1985 with like 500 miles on it to chance that in 2045+ it will be worth money fine.

Otherwise this guy is paying for low miles on a car that does not earn anything extra from those things. 6-8k is just as fair as any other 85 IMO.

I just hope he enjoys it when he gets it. Seems like "corvette" and low miles, condition is what is holding his interest.

These cars have no value including the "zr1" I want this guy to understand that.

Not my money, I'm out.

OP for 15K I can point you to several zr1 cars that are decent. THINK ABOUT THAT.
Pretty big gap between 6-8k and 15k.... Most LOW MILE ZR-1's are not going to sell for 15 grand either.... 40-60k mile cars are in the 15-18k range. And these cars DO indeed have value... just not collectability factor value.... I know I had to pay for mine... no one gave it to me because it was such a huge POS and so unreliable and so undesirable that it couldnt be sold.... I have never come across anyone who said to me jeez, ya know that POS you drive has no value at all, why the hell did you even pay for that pile of garbage anyway.... NO ONE wants a junky Corvette..... Actually, just the opposite..... people always have the impression the car is newer than it really is and costs far more than what I paid, and comments are always positive....

Last edited by 81c3; 10-05-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Value of a 1985 Corvette With 12K Miles 4 Speed