Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

AC Delco opti

Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Default AC Delco opti

My water pump started to leak so while I was at it I figured I would do a cap, rotor and the timing cover seals. Inspecting my opti the bearing had some play in it and it showed on the reluctor wheel rubbing on the sensor.
So I decided to put in a AC Delco reman. I got it all back together only to find out I had an oil leak, from a 20 mile road test. Took it all back back apart to find the opti shaft where the seal rides to be worn. It was leaking instantly. I purchased it from Summit and they were excellent. They sent out a replacement right away. The new one installed, so far 150 miles dry.

Gary
Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default questions

Originally Posted by yd328
My water pump started to leak so while I was at it I figured I would do a cap, rotor and the timing cover seals. Inspecting my opti the bearing had some play in it and it showed on the reluctor wheel rubbing on the sensor.
So I decided to put in a AC Delco reman. I got it all back together only to find out I had an oil leak, from a 20 mile road test. Took it all back back apart to find the opti shaft where the seal rides to be worn. It was leaking instantly. I purchased it from Summit and they were excellent. They sent out a replacement right away. The new one installed, so far 150 miles dry.

Gary
Any suggestions on the opti removal i am doing mine now! Found the water pump was bound up. I guess the bearing do not last! (15,000 miles on car) Any suggestions on hub removal this is my next move. Thanks
Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM
yd328
Pro

Originally Posted by fake
Any suggestions on the opti removal i am doing mine now! Found the water pump was bound up. I guess the bearing do not last! (15,000 miles on car) Any suggestions on hub removal this is my next move. Thanks
I used this method to remove the balancer.
If you can apply some penetrating lube for a couple of days that should help. Others have also said loosening the bolts and running it for a few seconds will break it loose. I used a Felpro timing cover seal set. It comes with all the seals for less than $15. There is a tool for installing the seal over the wp drive shaft so you don't damage the seal. You can google it there are a couple of methods out there.

Gary

Last edited by yd328; 10-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 AM
fake
Safety Car

Default Opti remanufactured

I used this method to remove the balancer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB5KdME7srA
If you can apply some penetrating lube for a couple of days that should help. Others have also said loosening the bolts and running it for a few seconds will break it loose. I used a Felpro timing cover seal set. It comes with all the seals for less than $15. There is a tool for installing the seal over the wp drive shaft so you don't damage the seal. You can google it there are a couple of methods out there.

Gary
Thanks for the help! The other question i have that rebuilt opti was it part number acd 19212299 Did you take it apart prior to install? I am debating weather to use the delco or the msd vented i bought 5 years ago. Any suggestions? Thanks Frank
Old 10-07-2017, 09:47 AM
yd328
Pro

I took it apart to make sure the rotor had lock tite on the screws, seems to be an issue. It is easier to install the opti with the cap off. Also, check your vent tubes. They can be damaged due to age and oil, consider a new one.

Gary
Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 AM
fake
Safety Car

Default opti

I took it apart to make sure the rotor had lock tite on the screws, seems to be an issue. It is easier to install the opti with the cap off. Also, check your vent tubes. They can be damaged due to age and oil, consider a new one.

Gary
What vent tubes?
Old 10-07-2017, 12:34 PM
yd328
Pro

95 and 96 have vented optis that have vacuum line attached at the base and cap.

Gary
Old 10-07-2017, 03:17 PM
fake
Safety Car

Default vent tubes

Gary
Okay Thanks
Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 AM
fake
Safety Car

Default opti

Gary
Have you seen on e-bay opti solutions takes your old opti and uses the sensor and places it in a msd for $280.00 He says it is fail safe Have you seen or heard of any good things about him?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Have you seen on e-bay opti solutions takes your old opti and uses the sensor and places it in a msd for $280.00 He says it is fail safe Have you seen or heard of any good things about him?
Easy enough to buy an AIP for under $100 and do the same thing.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-20-2017, 10:09 AM
yd328
Pro

It looks interesting, but I didn't think he had a long enough track record yet for me. I believe he also has some NOS Mitsubishi sensors for your year. Then the other thing in question would be the bearing.

If you have a Mitsubishi sensor and your car ran ok you can use it in another base. It is easy to change your sensor into a newer base and buy a quality cap kit. You would probably be close to the same cost. The better quality parts add up quickly.

Gary
Old 10-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah, I looked that guy up and it's not a real MSD distributor, only an MSD replacement cap and rotor on a regular common case.
I wish there was a way to put a Mitsu sensor in a MSD case because their case is built like a tank! It has a ball bearing shaft that runs true and easy for long stability and life, and the vented cap has an extra bolt and a very good "O-ring" to seal it up. Trouble with an MSD distributor is while they are very well built, they are extremely expensive, their electronic sensors were crap....nowhere as dependable as a stock Delco sensor. AND, they made just enough changes to the size of the sensor plate and mounting points that nothing but MSD made components will fit inside.
I know, because I have a NEW crapped out MSD distributor. I used up the warranty chasing a problem that turned out to be in the new MSD all along! I wish I could replace the guts in it. What a waste of a great Opti case.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:32 PM
fake
Safety Car

Default sounds good

Originally Posted by Klondike
Yeah, I looked that guy up and it's not a real MSD distributor, only an MSD replacement cap and rotor on a regular common case.
I wish there was a way to put a Mitsu sensor in a MSD case because their case is built like a tank! It has a ball bearing shaft that runs true and easy for long stability and life, and the vented cap has an extra bolt and a very good "O-ring" to seal it up. Trouble with an MSD distributor is while they are very well built, they are extremely expensive, their electronic sensors were crap....nowhere as dependable as a stock Delco sensor. AND, they made just enough changes to the size of the sensor plate and mounting points that nothing but MSD made components will fit inside.
I know, because I have a NEW crapped out MSD distributor. I used up the warranty chasing a problem that turned out to be in the new MSD all along! I wish I could replace the guts in it. What a waste of a great Opti case.
Iwas thinking the same thing strip a cheap opti and use the mitsu in my old one . What is actually needed for parts to get a new old stock cranking. I see there is a part no on the optical wheel and mitsu but the rest i guess is not needed except yes the bearing. Some one built this opti in the us but where? What a bout the opti main part number i see the remanufactured one has no part number on the base. but my original gm has a number. With no part number i do not think i will except it and send it back for one with a part number. What do you think? Lets do a survey to see if the corvettes had part numbers on there bases (metal base)

Get notified of new replies

To AC Delco opti

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Delco opti