Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Opinions on purchasing a 1989 Corvette with 86k

Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd pass personally, by the time you're done you could of gotten a lower mileage car with original paint and a decent interior.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Once you get it... and realize it was a paint job slapped on and some used 400 wheels and tires and carpet sapped in be prepared. There is a reason they did carpet and not fix the seat or even throw some $30 crap cover over it.

When you look at it.

Check:
hubs for movement
check u-joints
Check ball joints
Check steering wheel for play in all positions
check windows roll up and how fast they do
check in the suspension at the bushings
check power seat stuff works
check for stuff done to engine
check the shifting on 3-4 and the torque converter (clutch Packs are bad)
check shocks for condition and brand
check for code tags in center console and or little storage bins in the back
check doors for paint job quality
check bottom for scrapes and cracks in the floor pan
check the fuel injectors if you can or listen to them
check the tape player and antenna
ask and check door locks and vats
Check for intake leaks and idle speed
Check headlights for speed and noise when rotating
check for head gasket issues (common)
Check rear end for noises or grinding and clunks
check the dash by using lights and switches and opening and closing doors (many times they have bad connections or are worn out in some areas)
Check to see if stock parts have been removed like frisbee etc
drive at different speeds steady like 10.15.20, etc 70 etc (many times they shake at certain speeds)
let it idle and see if it over heats after 10 minutes
watch gauges closely while driving

Sounds picky for 2800. Many times many of these need to be replaced soon after purchase. Quickly adds up to a real nice c4 or c5 especially if you take to a shop.

A place came here to brag the helped a family finish their deceased Father's car and charged 20K for intake and exhaust work then public ally told price.

If not careful you will get raped.
This list was given to you in good faith to look at and evaluate the car, but if I was asking $2800.00 for any Corvette and a potential buyer showed up with a list as extensive as this expecting all those things to be in good condition, I'd tell him to hit the road. He's only asking $2800.00 for it! There's a real reason for that. I'll be blunt here, but you need to be warned. This car is obviously worn out with a cheap paint job and chrome wheels slapped on to try and fool someone. The interior screams to be redone. It's shot. Look at the screws holding on the door panel! Unless you're willing to drop another $5000.00 or more into it AFTER buying it, I'd say pass on this one.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 10-12-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:25 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

You are going to spend 2500 on the interior....not 1000. You could save a bit of you go with the iggee seat covers.

half of the interior gizmos will not work and another 10% of them will break in the process of trying to fix the first 50%.

then you need to deal with another 1k of mechanical issues.

these prices are if you do it all yourself.

speaking from experience.

i did it because i wanted to...i had the time and space and money to do it. i would heed brandons advice unless you are space, time, resources to have the car laid up and in pieces for a year.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

So long as you recognize that you are most likely getting exactly what you pay for you shouldn't be disappointed.

In my personal view (others may disagree) if you are paying less than $10K you are not getting a used C4 in great condition.... and that you will most likely spend the difference getting to where it needs to be. The one exception being if you can do all of the work yourself.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
So long as you recognize that you are most likely getting exactly what you pay for you shouldn't be disappointed.

In my personal view (others may disagree) if you are paying less than $10K you are not getting a used C4 in great condition.... and that you will most likely spend the difference getting to where it needs to be. The one exception being if you can do all of the work yourself.
I cant get behind that 100%...
Just because a car isnt perfect, doesnt mean its not a great condition automobile.... By that logic, if I were to look at a C4 with a bad Bose system, maybe needed a hatch seal and lets say wear on the drivers seat bolster.... BUT, it had good maintenance records, good paint & tires and everything else operated the way it should.... and I was paying $7,000. for it, I would consider that a great condition C4 for a good price....and I wouldnt need to spend another $3,000. to make it a great car either....

Now if its perfection and excellent condition were aiming for, then perhaps yes. C4's in the $10-$15k range shouldn't need very much if anything to be considered a perfect or very near perfect car....
JMHO
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Rmazzatelli
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I didn't go see it got caught up at work but everyone makes valid points to some degree lol I do personally think if it's mechanically sound for the most part considering its a 28 yr old car and a Vette I'm ok doing some interior stuff
Old 10-13-2017, 12:18 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmazzatelli
Well I didn't go see it got caught up at work but everyone makes valid points to some degree lol I do personally think if it's mechanically sound for the most part considering its a 28 yr old car and a Vette I'm ok doing some interior stuff
I guess the question is what you are willing to throw into the project. So say I have $5000 to spend and I get him to $2500, it means I have $2500 to do the project. Now you need to get a good shop to do a PDI and see what else you missed and are glossing over so you can justify the project. You probably will need to get a new interior but the work is one part. The parts still cost money so unless you can get the interior parts cheap, IOW some old cast off junk, you have to buy new. I don't see anything under $2000 for carpet and seat covers with cushions and a couple of misc items. This is assuming nothing needs work besides the interior and I'm betting you will find a bunch of stuff.

So how mechanically inclined are you? Do you have a space to dedicate for a couple of years to work on it? Do you have the dedication to work on it for that long? How much money do you have to spend? This is where you have to be totally honest. As for money, add up all you THINK you need and double that.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

2800.00 is your 1st red flag use caution
Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM
L.V. Vette
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmazzatelli
Let us know how it turns out
Old 10-13-2017, 01:07 PM
blue_74
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
You are going to spend 2500 on the interior....not 1000. You could save a bit of you go with the iggee seat covers.

half of the interior gizmos will not work and another 10% of them will break in the process of trying to fix the first 50%.

then you need to deal with another 1k of mechanical issues.

these prices are if you do it all yourself.

speaking from experience.
This is excellent advice. I also went down this path with an '84. You can drop $2500 in a C4 interior and new weatherstrip in the blink of an eye, even if you do all of the work yourself.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Run away, Forrest! It's a parts car, just doesn't know it yet. Seller is a painter or has a buddy, and they put 'shiny' paint on it and chrome wheels. Looks purty don't it? Don't be fooled, in all likely hood its a money pit to get sorted out. Take Brandens advice, post 21 and wait for a better car. You should also search for Branden's restoration thread on his first car, it's several pages. He found out how expensive, time consuming and just plain frustrating 'fixing stuff' can get. So unless you enjoy fixing more than driving (and some do) I'd stay away from this car. YMMV and just my $.02
Old 10-13-2017, 02:43 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,271 Likes on 859 Posts

I just bought a 93 with 100k on the clock. Has a manual, FX3. Only things wrong, bad radio and the fuel pump was dying. After a 100 dollar fuel pump it runs perfect. Nothing broken in the interior, new leather seats.

Best part, price on the car was 3,000.

I'd pass on this car and let some other sucker have a money pit.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:23 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Weck86
He found out how expensive, time consuming and just plain frustrating 'fixing stuff' can get. So unless you enjoy fixing more than driving (and some do) I'd stay away from this car. YMMV and just my $.02
I'm sure he thought it was cool at the time but the car sitting on blocks gets old pretty soon especially when the garage gets crowded or your spouse has to park outside in bad weather because the car is in pieces and takes up 2 spaces.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:24 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
I just bought a 93 with 100k on the clock. Has a manual, FX3. Only things wrong, bad radio and the fuel pump was dying. After a 100 dollar fuel pump it runs perfect. Nothing broken in the interior, new leather seats.

Best part, price on the car was 3,000.

I'd pass on this car and let some other sucker have a money pit.
Some idiot with the "Corvette Fever" will buy it. Bet on it.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:51 AM
L.V. Vette
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Some idiot with the "Corvette Fever" will buy it. Bet on it.
True, how can they resist with that custom paint job and shiny rims!
Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Run away, Forrest! It's a parts car, just doesn't know it yet. Seller is a painter or has a buddy, and they put 'shiny' paint on it and chrome wheels. Looks purty don't it? Don't be fooled, in all likely hood its a money pit to get sorted out.
This!!!

Look underneath the car, feel how it drives that will tell you the real story.
Hey maybe it will be half decent maybe not. If you have to throw the guy $20 for gas its worth it to spend more time in it. For that price he may not have much patience for lots of scrutiny though
Old 10-14-2017, 04:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by L.V. Vette
True, how can they resist with that custom paint job and shiny rims!
It just needs to have the Corvette logo and many will be sold on the dream of a cheap and impressive car. There is a sucker born every day. Soon as he or she wises up, the next sucker in the queue will replace. Never a shortage of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on purchasing a 1989 Corvette with 86k

Old 10-14-2017, 04:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
This!!!

Look underneath the car, feel how it drives that will tell you the real story.
Hey maybe it will be half decent maybe not. If you have to throw the guy $20 for gas its worth it to spend more time in it. For that price he may not have much patience for lots of scrutiny though
Why not get a mechanic to evaluate it?
Old 10-15-2017, 01:30 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,420 Likes on 2,790 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Why not get a mechanic to evaluate it?
It's 2800 bucks. That's scrap value. Don't waste the sellers time.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
It's 2800 bucks. That's scrap value. Don't waste the sellers time.
Around 1100 is scrap value if he drives it to the yard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on purchasing a 1989 Corvette with 86k