C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Opinions on purchasing a 1989 Corvette with 86k

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Rmazzatelli
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinions on purchasing a 1989 Corvette with 86k

Hey whats up everyone ! New to the forum looking for some opinions . I'm going to be looking at a 1989 corvette on Thursday with 86k he wants $2,800 for it . He says the motor has never been messed with but it's going to need some interior work eventually new seats , possibly door panels from what I can tell from the angle of the pic he sent anyway maybe few other little things . New paint job though so that's a plus. Thanks for any help all !
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

If it has new paint and it's decent, mechanically it checks out I'd jump on that one quick. Interior parts are replaceable. Paint is expensive. So it would be up to the mechanicals and electricals. Even at that price, it's a good idea to have a mechanic give it a once over to be sure.

hope it works out for you. Good luck
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Rmazzatelli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hcbph
If it has new paint and it's decent, mechanically it checks out I'd jump on that one quick. Interior parts are replaceable. Paint is expensive. So it would be up to the mechanicals and electricals. Even at that price, it's a good idea to have a mechanic give it a once over to be sure.

hope it works out for you. Good luck
Thanks hope it runs as good as the seller says lol
Old 10-10-2017, 08:10 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Pictures help.

You can figure 1000 to set up your interior (panels, carpet, new seats...misc)

While 2.8k sounds great, the maintenance records are invaluable on a car like this. You can easily and quickly drop 4-5K on tires, brakes, interior, engine, misc electrical components and heaven help you if you need to pay labor.

Tread carefully on this and I highly recommend spending $250 on an independent shop inspection.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Rmazzatelli
Intermediate

Just wanted to add a pic of the outside and the interior one I have
Old 10-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Rmazzatelli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Pictures help.

While 2.8k sounds great, the maintenance records are invaluable on a car like this. You can easily and quickly drop 4-5K on tires, brakes, interior, engine, misc electrical components and heaven help you if you need to pay labor.

Tread carefully on this and I highly recommend spending $250 on an independent shop inspection.
That definitely makes sense appreciate the input . I also posted 2 pics
Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Be advised that a proper paint job on one of these cars can exceed the value of the entire car very quickly because of the prep work involved. While the new paint may look great now, in a few years it might look like crap if the prep was done poorly. If the seller had it painted, his asking price does not even cover half of a decent paint job. Otherwise the car does not look too bad, the C5 wheels are a nice touch. I like that it still has the side mirror wind deflectors, many times those go missing. The add on CD changer is a cool 90's touch too. Check the headlights, dash, and climate control system for proper operation, as these are some very common trouble spots. Also listen for clunks from the rear, a sign of bad u joints or wheel bearings. I have an 89 with similar mileage on it, no major issues so far.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Pictures help.

I don't know where you shop but seats are $1000+. Add $150 for steering wheel, $450 for carpet, $250 for panels, $120 for sun visors, $100 console cushion, etc

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 10-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I don't know where you shop but seats are $1000+. Add $150 for steering wheel, $450 for carpet, $250 for panels, $120 for sun visors, $100 console cushion, etc
I agree with your prices, but I think the door panels would be more than $250.
The good part: all of that can be installed by anyone with minimal mechanical skills.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
I agree with your prices, but I think the door panels would be more than $250.
The good part: all of that can be installed by anyone with minimal mechanical skills.
Yes, I meant $450 for 2 panels
Old 10-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Rmazzatelli
Intermediate

This is all great info for a newbie like me getting into the Corvette world it gives me an idea on what I'm looking into if I decide to go with this car I really appreciate it I knew this was a good site to join lol
Old 10-11-2017, 02:02 PM
L.V. Vette
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Be advised that a proper paint job on one of these cars can exceed the value of the entire car very quickly because of the prep work involved. While the new paint may look great now, in a few years it might look like crap if the prep was done poorly. If the seller had it painted, his asking price does not even cover half of a decent paint job. Otherwise the car does not look too bad, the C5 wheels are a nice touch. I like that it still has the side mirror wind deflectors, many times those go missing. The add on CD changer is a cool 90's touch too. Check the headlights, dash, and climate control system for proper operation, as these are some very common trouble spots. Also listen for clunks from the rear, a sign of bad u joints or wheel bearings. I have an 89 with similar mileage on it, no major issues so far.
a cheapie paint job can deteriorate quickly. Like Bill said, the selling price may appear great, there are a lot more variables that affect value. That the engine hasn't been messed with doesn't mean it's been maintained or what condition it's in. The driver's seat looks more torn up than I'd expect for the car's mileage, as does the door panels. I've heard it said that if the owner lets the interior go, they often let the rest of it go. The antenna stopped working at some point. I would definitely have a prepurchase inspection performed. Good luck and hope it checks out well!
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

For 2800 don't have any hopes, just brace your self.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:55 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My two cents is from the pics I see, that car is a good deal for the price, I would still try to go $2500. The interior is no big deal to upgrade and repair, and the body already looks decent for a DD. Some lessons I learned: Check the heater core area, make sure everything works, look at inside of engine to see if heads are clean, and not all gummed up from lack of oil changes. Look under car for leaks, look at radiator area for leaks, and of course listen to the engine at different RPM's. Lastly the good ol test drive, listen for noise, how straight it drives, how does it shift, and if it feels too loose and shaky. If it passes these tests, IMO it's a steal. You will be buying a car that will need lots of TLC just to keep it in top shape, but its worth it.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:05 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are okay with the custom paint job and willing to do some interior work then you don't have much to lose at only $2,800. Cruisinfanatic shared pretty accurate pricing of interior fixes. I'd want to know what else is not right mechanically with the car. Be prepared to spend your money on repairs... or get a good pre-purchase inspection.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Rmazzatelli
Intermediate

Thanks all . I'm definitely going there with a mindset of checking everything and not so much thinking it's gonna be perfect .
Old 10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

If the car runs well, shifts well, starts and stops well, for $2800. its cheap fun... offer 2 grand and see if he will meet you in the middle.... Interior parts are costly when new, but these cars are parted out all the time.... you can get damn near everything you need in the 4 Sale section. Also, many plastic parts can actually be repaired if your handy and have the will.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on purchasing a 1989 Corvette with 86k

Old 10-11-2017, 04:32 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Car like that Id look for used interior parts. SEM makes some awesome spray dye that looks correct. Right sheen and doesnt go away with use that way your upgrades are cost effective. redoing a vette interior is $$$ got sticker shock when I took my seats in. didnt tell them what it was out of....once they knew the price tripled.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I redid my seats with leather & suede covers for like $300 and put the covers on myself. It wasn't too hard.

I'm going to be real with you. You're looking at a very cheap car. It won't be perfect. The fact that it runs at all means its well priced. It's basically worth more in parts than he is selling it for. Keep this in mind, and don't waste the guy's time trying to negotiate the price down on faults. It's cheap, it's not gonna be perfect, nd frankly you probably aren't going to find a better car for that cheap.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Once you get it... and realize it was a paint job slapped on and some used 400 wheels and tires and carpet sapped in be prepared. There is a reason they did carpet and not fix the seat or even throw some $30 crap cover over it.

When you look at it.

Check:
hubs for movement
check u-joints
Check ball joints
Check steering wheel for play in all positions
check windows roll up and how fast they do
check in the suspension at the bushings
check power seat stuff works
check for stuff done to engine
check the shifting on 3-4 and the torque converter (clutch Packs are bad)
check shocks for condition and brand
check for code tags in center console and or little storage bins in the back
check doors for paint job quality
check bottom for scrapes and cracks in the floor pan
check the fuel injectors if you can or listen to them
check the tape player and antenna
ask and check door locks and vats
Check for intake leaks and idle speed
Check headlights for speed and noise when rotating
check for head gasket issues (common)
Check rear end for noises or grinding and clunks
check the dash by using lights and switches and opening and closing doors (many times they have bad connections or are worn out in some areas)
Check to see if stock parts have been removed like frisbee etc
drive at different speeds steady like 10.15.20, etc 70 etc (many times they shake at certain speeds)
let it idle and see if it over heats after 10 minutes
watch gauges closely while driving

Sounds picky for 2800. Many times many of these need to be replaced soon after purchase. Quickly adds up to a real nice c4 or c5 especially if you take to a shop.

A place came here to brag the helped a family finish their deceased Father's car and charged 20K for intake and exhaust work then public ally told price.

If not careful you will get raped.

Quick Reply: Opinions on purchasing a 1989 Corvette with 86k