C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Headlight upgrade

Hey guys, I just added the rice performance non flip up headlight upgrade to my 87 coupe. Pricey but well worth the cost. I always believe you get what you pay for.

My question is, on this 4 light system, 2bulbs are low beam, the other 2 are high beam with 1 wire plus a ground to each. I want to make all four come on with high beam only. Do I use a relay on high beam circuit only to all 4 lights or ??? They are projector lights, do I really need all 4 on high beam or just leave it alone.....Thx...ol vette
Old 11-26-2017, 07:05 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Ol Vette
Hey guys, I just added the rice performance non flip up headlight upgrade to my 87 coupe. Pricey but well worth the cost. I always believe you get what you pay for.

My question is, on this 4 light system, 2bulbs are low beam, the other 2 are high beam with 1 wire plus a ground to each. I want to make all four come on with high beam only. Do I use a relay on high beam circuit only to all 4 lights or ??? They are projector lights, do I really need all 4 on high beam or just leave it alone.....Thx...ol vette
The stock harness already provides hi/lo circuits. So, all you should have to do is connect the hi/lo beam wires to the appropriate harness and gang the ground wires with the existing ground provided.
. AND, if you got what you paid for...the new headlights should already be connectorized i.e., plug and play. But, that not being the case, you'd want to gang the wires to a connector that plugs into the existing harness. (Goto del city.com for the connector and weatherproof splices you need, if any.)
. If the new lights are LEDs, then you may need some further alterations.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The stock harness already provides hi/lo circuits. So, all you should have to do is connect the hi/lo beam wires to the appropriate harness and gang the ground wires with the existing ground provided.
. AND, if you got what you paid for...the new headlights should already be connectorized i.e., plug and play. But, that not being the case, you'd want to gang the wires to a connector that plugs into the existing harness. (Goto del city.com for the connector and weatherproof splices you need, if any.)
. If the new lights are LEDs, then you may need some further alterations.
Thanks Paul for the reply, yes, I have put the appropriate connector on the light kit to match up with the factory wiring. It does work, I just thought that on high beam all 4 lights would be on. Not just the high beam 2 bulbs. I guess if I have all 4 working I will have the 2 low beam as well as the 2 high beam on which makes all 4 on. The instructions do not specify if in fact 4 lights are on when in high beam....curious.....thx.

Last edited by Ol Vette; 11-26-2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Spelled the name wrong
Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Thanks Paul for the reply, yes, I have put the appropriate connector on the light kit to match up with the factory wiring. It does work, I just thought that on high beam all 4 lights would be on. Not just the high beam 2 bulbs. I guess if I have all 4 working I will have the 2 low beam as well as the 2 high beam on which makes all 4 on. The instructions do not specify if in fact 4 lights are on when in high beam....curious.....thx.
The STOCK configuration hi/lo switch and harness operates the hi and the lo beams SEPARATELY, i.e., either the high beam filament is energized, OR the low beam filament is energized; NOT both at the same time; one or the other ONLY.

The hi/lo filaments share a common ground (black/white) wire, and the lo beam power is tan (in my 90 FSM) and green for the high beam.

I don't know what kind of headlight replacement you bought. But, from your description there are 2x2 lights (2 for hi, 2 for low) each powered by their respective wires. But, IF the intent (of the manufacture) is to power both sets when on high, instead of one pair at a time, then the circuit wiring will have to be altered so that when the hi beam switch is turned ON, the low beams remain lit. (Many of the LED replacements for our cars are configured internally this way; i.e, the low beam LEDs remain lit when the high beam lights are ON. For instance: a diode of sufficient size between the high and low beam circuits might work.)

Well... this is all so much conjecture on my part. More info is needed, e.g., a schematic, what kind of lights (LED, HID, etc) are these, and such. LEDs, for example, impose additional considerations beyond connectorization.

I really don't want to go any further down the rabbit hole w/o more info. So, the "Ball's in YOUR court!"
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Default headlight upgrade

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The STOCK configuration hi/lo switch and harness operates the hi and the lo beams SEPARATELY, i.e., either the high beam filament is energized, OR the low beam filament is energized; NOT both at the same time; one or the other ONLY.

The hi/lo filaments share a common ground (black/white) wire, and the lo beam power is tan (in my 90 FSM) and green for the high beam.

I don't know what kind of headlight replacement you bought. But, from your description there are 2x2 lights (2 for hi, 2 for low) each powered by their respective wires. But, IF the intent (of the manufacture) is to power both sets when on high, instead of one pair at a time, then the circuit wiring will have to be altered so that when the hi beam switch is turned ON, the low beams remain lit. (Many of the LED replacements for our cars are configured internally this way; i.e, the low beam LEDs remain lit when the high beam lights are ON. For instance: a diode of sufficient size between the high and low beam circuits might work.)

Well... this is all so much conjecture on my part. More info is needed, e.g., a schematic, what kind of lights (LED, HID, etc) are these, and such. LEDs, for example, impose additional considerations beyond connectorization.

I really don't want to go any further down the rabbit hole w/o more info. So, the "Ball's in YOUR court!"
Thank you Paul for all your info. The lights that I have are set up to have 2 ON for high, and 2 ON for low beam. They are not meant to be on together when in high beam. It was only me who questioned high beams.....All is good now thanks to you...It is meant as a plug and play which is exactly what I did. It was only ME asking a question, that is all. I am sure if the manufacturer wanted all 4 ON they would have wired them that way.....Thx.Paul for your time
Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like you need to rig a relay for the low beams so that they receive power when the highs are on.
My Grand Cherokee works the way you are trying to achieve: low beams are on all the time. The beam switch just turns the highs on and off. Very effective.

Last edited by rocco16; 11-28-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by rocco16
Sounds like you need to rig a relay for the low beams so that they receive power when the highs are on.
My Grand Cherokee works the way you are trying to achieve: low beams are on all the time. The beam switch just turns the highs on and off. Very effective.
Thx. R0CCO 16..for your reply. I was speaking with another member on this forum about my issue, relays and diodes were discussed.....relays I understand... diodes well....not so much. My everyday car does the same as your Cherokee with regards to lights, that is what got me thinking about this change.....high..4 on............low.....2 on. But the manufacturer did not wire the upgrade for that to happen.....perhaps I should leave it alone, but it would make a difference with 4 ON.. same as you are thinking...The other member says it can be done... but I need a diagram for the diode placement......thx. ..........Ol Vette
Old 11-28-2017, 11:50 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

The only stock vehicles that keep lowbeams on with high beams use bixenon projectors, where they move a cutoff shield. Otherwise, they are separate paths electrically. That saod, many cars offer a high beam flash that triggers both pathways.

The easiest thing to do.would be ton use a diode to provide signal from.the high beam relay to the low beam relay, so that thenlowbeam.relay is powered both by its enable, and by the HB relay enable. Make sure you use a diode, as you do not want the low beam enabling the high beam.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

This should be super easy to do; I did it on my stock headlights on my '92.

I ran a simple jumper wire from the power feed to the high beam switch, to the low beam wire leaving the switch. That's it.

Now, when you turn on the headlights, the switch provides power to low beams...in parallel with the jumper wire. When you click to high beams, the switch sends power to the high beam filaments, while the jumper wire continues to provide power to the low beams; both are on at the same time.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
This should be super easy to do; I did it on my stock headlights on my '92.

I ran a simple jumper wire from the power feed to the high beam switch, to the low beam wire leaving the switch. That's it.

Now, when you turn on the headlights, the switch provides power to low beams...in parallel with the jumper wire. When you click to high beams, the switch sends power to the high beam filaments, while the jumper wire continues to provide power to the low beams; both are on at the same time.
Thank you to all who are trying to help me.....but I hear members talking of diodes......My 87 coupe has no headlight relay only the headlight switch with a resettable breaker attached....factory I guess.....so I have to add wires and relays and diodes.....but where.....how......Hey you guys wait a minute......I should ask my wife she knows it all and lets me know that.....lol.......thx. guys.....Ol Vette
Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I can't see why you'd need to add relays OR diodes, unless the new headlights draw significantly more amperage than the stock ones.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I can't see why you'd need to add relays OR diodes, unless the new headlights draw significantly more amperage than the stock ones.
Thx. Tom......I agree with you.....I will try it with a jumper feed wire with a fuse in line just in case....

Wow......thx. to everyone who helped me with this problem...you guys are what makes this forum the place to be on......Yahooo....we did it again..Ol Vette
Old 11-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Thx. Tom......I agree with you.....I will try it with a jumper feed wire with a fuse in line just in case....

Wow......thx. to everyone who helped me with this problem...you guys are what makes this forum the place to be on......Yahooo....we did it again..Ol Vette
Thx. To everyone who sent me info. I phoned the manufacturer and they said LEAVE IT ALONE it will be bright enough. They said when they designed the system if they wanted 4 lights on they would have designed it that way.....I said....OK.....this issue has been solved and put to bed...thx. Guys
Old 11-29-2017, 12:42 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Thx. To everyone who sent me info. I phoned the manufacturer and they said LEAVE IT ALONE it will be bright enough. They said when they designed the system if they wanted 4 lights on they would have designed it that way.....I said....OK.....this issue has been solved and put to bed...thx. Guys
can you tell us what you think of the system?

is it a net weight savings?

are these LED or halogen projectors ?

What do you think of the down road lighting? Is it good? Its always tricky with our car being such low ride height
Old 11-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Something like this?

Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Photos of your new setup?!?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Paul Workman