Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How would an aftermarket LT1 intake with long runners effect the performance?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
You guys need to have some faith me.
Fair enough. What have you achieved to ask for faith?
Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer

Pheonix - Start new content and make it both interesting and helpful; unless your just here to perpetually jerk people around.
I don't know either way about the jerkin around but I'm sure of the idea that he needs endorsement that this IA a doable project since it isn't.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

You guys need to have some faith me.
I will. What are some other threads and usernames you go by? Maybe we are talking to a genius and accomplished mod guy and he is hiding?
Old 11-01-2017, 11:13 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I will. What are some other threads and usernames you go by? Maybe we are talking to a genius and accomplished mod guy and he is hiding?
I think it is John Lingenfelter in spirit.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:17 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aklim
I think it is John Lingenfelter in spirit.
yep, the creator of all things TQ!

now if penix just buys an SR for l98 makes it fit his car, opens the closes up the runners to choke it its good.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:27 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

I am not the first person, nor shall I be the last, to inquire about a bolt-on TPI style intake for the LT1 motor. My car is a daily driver and right now I am soul searching with what I want to do with the motor. I don't need a suped up race car with 4.10 rear gears and an aggressive camshaft with ported heads and upgraded valvetrain and the whole nine yards! I do, however, want more low to mid-range torque that I can feel immediately and that gives me an enjoyable daily driver that is fun to launch from green lights or aggressively accelerate where safe to do so in the city. I have no intention of butchering my motor to try to fit and fabricate a stock L98 TPI intake. I do, however, intend to seek out a company that can make this custom intake that is a genuine bolt-on with all necessary sensor attachments and emissions controls. However, I need expert advice on whether or not a dedicated LT1 intake with long runners will be detrimental to the motor or not. I assume the CPU can handle the adjustments with the intake and as far as driving below 5000 RPM, there shouldn't be any problems but again this is an LT1 and not an L98 with a different fuel injection design. So, am I correct in my logic that this intake will give me the low to mid-range "umpf" that I am seeking, or do I have it all butt backwards?!

First I heard of this idea. You are wrong, it will not make more low end umpf.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pologreen1
First I heard of this idea. You are wrong, it will not make more low end umpf.
I'm sure someone has asked if that would create anything meaningful. He is the first one I have seen that is trying to build an engine around it.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
  1. If you add some chupacabra saliva to it you will get even more power and better mileage.
  2. Yes, in your mind a lot of things are backward. But you're right, it is common knowledge that old, backward-*** technology holds the key to high efficiency in internal combustion engines.
  3. Explain to us how it won't.
  4. In the garages of people spend their time making cool cars instead of trolling multiple internet forums.

PS - pologreen1, this is all your fault!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fficiency.html

https://itstillruns.com/build-chevy-...e-7490323.html

http://www.onedirt.com/tech-stories/...rbureted-cars/

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/small...-engine-build/
Old 11-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

LOL about those articles.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:56 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
LOL about those articles.
Gee Tom....I dunno. He "blessed us" with links to an article on supercharging, one on jetting carbs, and the other two touting more cubes. Plays RIGHT into a discussion of why we were wrong about stroking and he was right about a TPI intake.

Don't you SEE it?

The following users liked this post:
Tom400CFI (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 04:30 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

IDk....there must be something wrong with my eyeballs!
Old 11-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Gee Tom....I dunno. He "blessed us" with links to an article on supercharging, one on jetting carbs, and the other two touting more cubes. Plays RIGHT into a discussion of why we were wrong about stroking and he was right about a TPI intake.

Don't you SEE it?

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
IDk....there must be something wrong with my eyeballs!
I never said you were wrong GREGGPENN. Putting a stroker in my motor does not suit the goals of my intended build and I wish you would respect that.

Tom400, I think there is something wrong with your eyeballs.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:33 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

I never said you were wrong GREGGPENN. Putting a stroker in my motor does not suit the goals of my intended build and I wish you would respect that.

Tom400, I think there is something wrong with your eyeballs.
Reading links -- pointing to articles TOTALLY UNRELATED TO YOUR TOPIC -- doesn't "suit my goals" either.

Tom's eye's aren't bad. Your logic is. Your propensity to WASTE people's time is at it's center.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Reading links -- pointing to articles TOTALLY UNRELATED TO YOUR TOPIC -- doesn't "suit my goals" either.

Tom's eye's aren't bad. Your logic is. Your propensity to WASTE people's time is at it's center.
Reading those links helps me to understand what I can do with my car and what I shouldn't do with my car. It helps to guide my research and point me in the right direction. I want to improve my LT1 by focusing on lower end and mid-range torque production while willingly sacrificing higher end power, which I don't get to enjoy and which my street driving experience won't allow me to do, unless I am willing to get a few points on my license for excessive speeding by tempting fate.

You say my logic is bad and you complain about me wasting your time and other people's time with my threads and comments and yet here you are still "wasting time" by continuing to argue that your suggestion for my build is the right way to go and that anything else I am considering is wrong. What the hell? I can't refuse your suggestion, I have to take it because you supposedly know what I want for my car with all of that experience you have?

I am balancing power/torque production with fuel economy and the kind of daily driving that I will be doing which, I will admit, is very dull and seemingly like that of an 80-year old. I have yet to total my car! I have opted for the camshaft upgrade versus stroking my motor with the stock camshaft. The camshaft design I am thinking of going for is a custom grind, something like the ZZ4, a kind of performance tow/mileage cam if this can be achieved. I am still considering the TPI intake because my power band focuses on idle on up to 5000 RPM. Since Scoggin-Dickey made an aftermarket Vortec head TPI manifold base, maybe they could make an aftermarket LT1 base and from there, I can use AS&M big runners with a stock TPI plenum, get them extrude honed, bolt it down to Dart heads, and with the right exhaust system, have the performance that I seek out of my LT1.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Reading those links helps me to understand what I can do with my car and what I shouldn't do with my car. It helps to guide my research and point me in the right direction. I want to improve my LT1 by focusing on lower end and mid-range torque production while willingly sacrificing higher end power, which I don't get to enjoy and which my street driving experience won't allow me to do, unless I am willing to get a few points on my license for excessive speeding by tempting fate.

You say my logic is bad and you complain about me wasting your time and other people's time with my threads and comments and yet here you are still "wasting time" by continuing to argue that your suggestion for my build is the right way to go and that anything else I am considering is wrong. What the hell? I can't refuse your suggestion, I have to take it because you supposedly know what I want for my car with all of that experience you have?

I am balancing power/torque production with fuel economy and the kind of daily driving that I will be doing which, I will admit, is very dull and seemingly like that of an 80-year old. I have yet to total my car! I have opted for the camshaft upgrade versus stroking my motor with the stock camshaft. The camshaft design I am thinking of going for is a custom grind, something like the ZZ4, a kind of performance tow/mileage cam if this can be achieved. I am still considering the TPI intake because my power band focuses on idle on up to 5000 RPM. Since Scoggin-Dickey made an aftermarket Vortec head TPI manifold base, maybe they could make an aftermarket LT1 base and from there, I can use AS&M big runners with a stock TPI plenum, get them extrude honed, bolt it down to Dart heads, and with the right exhaust system, have the performance that I seek out of my LT1.

Oh PaaaaLEASE! You haven't "opted" for anything yet. As YOU'VE declared, you are YEARS away from a build.

It's FINE that you look at links to learn. It's a WASTE OF TIME to point US to them...especially without a question/point. It's like you think you have to do that for us to understand what you want.

You don't.

In fact, like I said from the start, I'm not sure YOU know what you want. Or...whether you'll want the same thing in 3 yrs. You've already changed your mind a few times -- just in a couple of weeks.

Get serious...

P.S. This isn't the first time you've posted a link w/o a point OR even related to what you THINK you want.

From what you've described, you would be thrilled with how I set my car up. TONS OF TORQUE and good MPG. Of course I did a TB bypass because I don't have any problem sleeping at night...or finding a car WAY better equipped to "unleash" on others in the snow. (I said unleash for any snow-floaters reading this post). Anyway...my point is I could (or maybe I DID) tell you my build. But, it doesn't matter. You still want something else, better, more torque, whatever.

That's ALSO fine. The problem is you act you you KNOW what's better. You don't. Really, anything short of a trucker may not.

You're like an armchair quarterback who keeps testing ALL the plays IN YOUR HEAD. The problem is you don't have actual experience to decide what's RIGHT for you.

In the end, you will have to GUESS....just like the rest of us did (at least) for their first builds. If/when you have a question MAKE IT. If you have a question about a cam/intake, MAKE IT.

If you don't like the answer, quit running to other forums, then return explaining why WE were wrong. IF YOU WERE THE SLIGHTEST BIT CLEVER, you'd debate the points of a problem. You WOULD NOT post that so-and-so said your suggestion was wrong. In many ways, there isn't a "wrong build"....especially with YOUR goals. When building for timeslips, "wrong" would constitute something less than the fastest possible timeslip. In YOUR case, smaller cam could mean more torque from idle to 1500 rpms (6th gear). A bigger cam might detract from that...and parking lot crawls...and snow float...to make a MORE FUN/POWERFUL car.

What YOU want to do it outright ****. It's "practical" on the surface but you debate it poorly. What's worse is you have the intensity of someone building TO-MOR-ROW. Yet, you are years away.

Don't ask us to TRAIPSE around the internet while you HELPING you understand everything you read. Be smarter.

Kapish?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

You make a comment about your time being wasted and then you go off on a long rant that doesn't add anything meaningful to this thread question of mine but instead attempts to foist your opinion once again on me!

It's FINE that you look at links to learn. It's a WASTE OF TIME to point US to them...especially without a question/point. It's like you think you have to do that for us to understand what you want.
Actually I am saving those links for when I come back to this thread and re-read all of the great advice you have given me from the start and then the crap you have given me since then!

From what you've described, you would be thrilled with how I set my car up. TONS OF TORQUE and good MPG. Of course I did a TB bypass because I don't have any problem sleeping at night...or finding a car WAY better equipped to "unleash" on others in the snow. (I said unleash for any snow-floaters reading this post). Anyway...my point is I could (or maybe I DID) tell you my build. But, it doesn't matter. You still want something else, better, more torque, whatever.
Here is the problem though, I don't want to "unleash" on anybody and I sure as hell am not stupid enough to try that in the heart of winter with a motor that could very well reach above 400+ ft. lbs of torque at low RPM! You want to talk about performing a spin out from hell and into oncoming traffic! Lets play winter bowling with cars and see how many I can take out with my car in the opposing lane! Lets throw a little curve on my car acting like the bowling ball and spin it down the lane!

That's ALSO fine. The problem is you act you you KNOW what's better. You don't. Really, anything short of a trucker may not.
The problem is you are relentless in pushing your advice as the only sound way to go for my build! I am not saying you are wrong but I am saying I don't want to use a stroker in my motor! I don't need massive amounts of torque on tap and especially if it means I lose city mileage with that added displacement I get! So, the next best thing, in my mind, is a mild camshaft that mimics a ZZ4 but is essentially a performance "RV" tow/mileage camshaft that drops off at 5000 RPM. Then, to further optimize my motor for low end to mid-range torque production, enter the TPI intake that can bolt on to my then 180cc Dart heads. I won't have the torque of a stroker by the time it is all said, done, built, and tuned for, but it will certainly be better than my current performance with my stock LT1 and it will give me that instant gratification that I seek.

What YOU want to do it outright ****. It's "practical" on the surface but you debate it poorly. What's worse is you have the intensity of someone building TO-MOR-ROW. Yet, you are years away.
What can I say? I am excited for what my LT1 could be even though I am years away from being able to make it happen. Furthermore, what I want is something most people don't even bother with. Everyone on all other forums build their motors for high RPM performance and yet what I am trying to achieve is something that baffles you and seemingly infuriates you enough to keep you commenting on this thread despite complaining how it is a waste of your time! Surely I must be doing something right and that I am on to something!

So, instead of pushing me to build a race motor, you could guide me along the right track if you understand that I am almost set on what I plan to do with my motor, the more I read and research. Again, I can't thank grumpyvette enough!

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 11-23-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm just going to throw this out there, the L98 intake dose NOT build low end tq. It's effective range is about 2500 to 4500. That is why dyno charts on an L98 are so peaked around 3k. The LT1 is by far a better down low and balanced motor stock. Ask me how I know. I own and drive both on a daily basis. If you want to preserve fuel efficiency, the best way I have seen is increasing compression and optimizing the chamber shape and condition. If you want to disrupt the torque line you have and make it more prone to low speed wheel spin and feel like it falls on it's fave up top go for a narrower taller cam. That will kill top end and bring up the bottom.

let's be real if you are truly terrified of the car in the snow or driving it faster than the speed limit you should either improve your driving or get a car more suited to your needs like a prius.

Can we shut this thread down now it's getting annoying watching you guys go round and round saying the same thing over and over.

Get notified of new replies

To How would an aftermarket LT1 intake with long runners effect the performance?!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by Space387
I'm just going to throw this out there, the L98 intake dose NOT build low end tq. It's effective range is about 2500 to 4500. That is why dyno charts on an L98 are so peaked around 3k.
Yes, I am aware that the TPI intake is not responsible for low end torque production, it is the camshaft choice or advanced timing of the camshaft. However, the TPI intake does help to increase torque production above that from the LT1 intake until about 4000 to 4500 RPM, which is perfectly fine for the RPM band I am focused on.

If you want to preserve fuel efficiency, the best way I have seen is increasing compression and optimizing the chamber shape and condition. If you want to disrupt the torque line you have and make it more prone to low speed wheel spin and feel like it falls on it's fave up top go for a narrower taller cam. That will kill top end and bring up the bottom.
Oddly enough I was just looking up camshaft specs and quite frankly I need to be careful with what I ask for. I need to be mindful of idle vacuum without pushing for too much low end torque production which will give me nasty idle quality. This is where the TPI intake helps to fill in some gaps where I need to make trade-offs with my camshaft features.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/camsh...ted-explained/

let's be real if you are truly terrified of the car in the snow or driving it faster than the speed limit you should either improve your driving or get a car more suited to your needs like a prius.
When did I say I was terrified of driving my car in the snow? I have been driving my car in the snow for a good seven or eight years! All I am pointing out is that I need to balance the performance I seek to the year round driving conditions that I am going to face. Thank you though for really paying attention to this thread!

On a last note, if you want to drive faster than the speed limit, take your car to the track. I am not going to screw around with showing off like I have a small ****** complex! There is a time to go fast and then there is a time to just enjoy driving and cruise around to the music of your motor and it's exhaust.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 AM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sorry to say but I'm not sure what you want can be done for a cost effective price with the engine you have. You want low end "grunt" not high end power. You want better or the same fuel efficiency. And you are not worried about going fast, ever, because you never do that ever.

Put a diesel in it then. Tq out the whazoo, good cruising efficiency and won't spin very fast keeping your top speed down.

I'm really not sure where else to point you. Though after 10 pages this topic has swayed so many ways I doubt any of us actually see your goal/vision. May I suggest take the idea you have and develop it a bit more with a more concrete and achievable goal, then come back to us. I am all for seeing development of these older engines but it has to be positive improvements. Either more efficent for the same power or more power with similar fuel burn.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

I'm sorry to say but I'm not sure what you want can be done for a cost effective price with the engine you have. You want low end "grunt" not high end power. You want better or the same fuel efficiency. And you are not worried about going fast, ever, because you never do that ever.

Put a diesel in it then. Tq out the whazoo, good cruising efficiency and won't spin very fast keeping your top speed down.

I'm really not sure where else to point you. Though after 10 pages this topic has swayed so many ways I doubt any of us actually see your goal/vision. May I suggest take the idea you have and develop it a bit more with a more concrete and achievable goal, then come back to us. I am all for seeing development of these older engines but it has to be positive improvements. Either more efficent for the same power or more power with similar fuel burn.
Again, I am not transplanting any other motor into my engine bay. I am convinced that I can improve upon my LT1, although "improve" is subject to personal preference and opinion on what that definition is!

You may not see the potential for fuel efficiency increase but I do and a part of the equation lies with using an alternative cleaner burning alcohol fuel which permits compression increase to 12, and by the very nature of the cleaner burn of this alcohol fuel, the clean motor continues to operate as efficiently as when it was made new, thousands of miles later.

Another problem I notice, you mention cost effective price, but this build is not intended to ever pay for itself or somehow serve as a means to compete with newer LS and LT motors! This is a build of passion and one meant to optimize my LT1 for daily driving and give me something "more fun" to drive, just like the first advertisements for TPI motors, something that puts an immediate smile on my face with instant gratification after opening up the throttle full at a green traffic light and no cars ahead of me on a warm and dry day.

My car is not meant to be a high horsepower race machine but a daily driver cruiser that is plenty enough powerful for my notion of "fun" and "performance". This isn't a car that I try to illegally street race with or engage in a **** waving contest with.

Quick Reply: How would an aftermarket LT1 intake with long runners effect the performance?!