C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Put a hypothetical value on your c4 for 2030

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:04 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Drag racing is dying because of how cheap and expensive it is now. It's expensive to win, with people spending huge money to win every weekend. It's nothing to see guys that have 6 figures into a car build st the drag strip nowdays.

On the flip side, there's also a lot of crap boxes with a junkyard ls swap and an ebay turbo that will walk most anyone not spending big money. Just bought a new C7? The guy with the rusted 3000 dollar dakota with a 5.3 from a work truck with a turbo will walk you. You will.probably need to pick up the parts that fall off as he goes down the track.

As with many things, the middle class or moderates are gone. The guys who buy a newer camaro to run at the strips dont go anymore because winning would cost too much, and they can't beat the rust piles. Couple that with the fact that wages are stagnant but inflation is growing like crazy as is debt, and you don't have as many younger guys buying cool cars because they can't afford them.

Everyone says that younger guys like myself aren't into cars. That's not true, it's just that the generation of our parents has screwed us so hard that we can't afford them for the most part. Most guys my age would LOVE a cool car, they just can't afford it due to the insane price of everything, wage stagnation, job losses due to outsourcing, and massive debt the incurred to get a college education they don't use.
Go to the strip and try your hand at bracket racing. Having the fastest car doesn't mean winning the race. It's a lot of fun, takes a lot of skill and a great place to hang with people with similar interests.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Go to the strip and try your hand at bracket racing. Having the fastest car doesn't mean winning the race. It's a lot of fun, takes a lot of skill and a great place to hang with people with similar interests.
I get that argument, but most people want to run fast, not consistent.

Personally, I was never big into drag racing. I'm more into road courses. The great news is that even the cheapest road course racing is still hideously expensive. Road course racing seems to be doing pretty well still in terms of popularity. The biggest concern there is the fact that most cars now are insanely fast and will kill you if you slightly mess up due to their performance.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I get that argument, but most people want to run fast, not consistent.

Personally, I was never big into drag racing. I'm more into road courses. The great news is that even the cheapest road course racing is still hideously expensive. Road course racing seems to be doing pretty well still in terms of popularity. The biggest concern there is the fact that most cars now are insanely fast and will kill you if you slightly mess up due to their performance.
I disagree. I don't care either way about your preference for a road course or him and his drag racing. Either way you go, equipment costs if you want to take it anywhere but a one day blast. THAT is the cheaper part. The hard and expensive part is time. It takes time and effort to get good at the track, EITHER track. OTOH, slap on a loud exhaust and some neon lights and a wing. That is fast and easy. So guess which route the human being will take? Hard road or easy road.

I want to have a buff body. It takes a daily commitment to the gym. I want to shoot well, training again and again. OTOH, I want to look the part. So just slap on a few things, impress the rubes and life is good. I suspect back then, those stickers and neon lights weren't as readily available as today so if you wanted it fast, you have to spend time and effort to build it. Today, it takes a few hours and you now look the part.

Last edited by aklim; 10-17-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Most guys my age would LOVE a cool car, they just can't afford it due to the insane price of everything, wage stagnation, job losses due to outsourcing, and massive debt the incurred to get a college education they don't use.
This makes sense...I left home very young in the 80s..rent was cheap one could find a job every in literally a day...you could pick up a 67 Camaro for $1500. those days are long gone dont know how most are making it these days Im not.
455 sq ft apt is 2k.

Drag racing, most today just race dyno sheets or stats on the web.
Maybe an app on their phone or a video game theres nothing like the real thing.Road courses can get super expensive real quick may as well by someones beat up hobby stock car go from there.

Last edited by cv67; 10-17-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

[QUOTE=cuisinartvette; dont know how most are making it these days Im not.
455 sq ft apt is 2k.
[/QUOTE]

You need to leave that broke azz state Bro... My brother lives in the San Fran area and its the same situation for him....We make about the same income, but I live so much better than he does.... My money goes at least 2x's farther....
Old 10-17-2017, 10:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 81c3
You need to leave that broke azz state Bro... My brother lives in the San Fran area and its the same situation for him....We make about the same income, but I live so much better than he does.... My money goes at least 2x's farther....
I'd have to say that there is NFW I would chose certain areas to live. CA is definitely one of them and not just the money. Emissions, guns and the loony left is there. Also not fond of the loony right either.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by aklim
I'd have to say that there is NFW I would chose certain areas to live. CA is definitely one of them and not just the money. Emissions, guns and the loony left is there. Also not fond of the loony right either.
No one factored in the price of C4's after loony orange starts WW3 with the wicked witch of the north.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
No one factored in the price of C4's after loony orange starts WW3 with the wicked witch of the north.

3 C4s in decent shape might fetch a loaf of bread?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

Then the op needs to change the title to "...value of a hot, irradiated C4 in 2030".
Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Then the op needs to change the title to "...value of a hot, irradiated C4 in 2030".
Your's might become a museum piece.

2. Race car
3. Historic proof of evolution from CFI intakes
Old 10-19-2017, 04:20 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

or...

The value of a nuclear C4 in 2018....pictured with a dust-cloud coming out the wazoo....

Quick Reply: Put a hypothetical value on your c4 for 2030