Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C5 Think twice

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:26 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by biggiefl
They quit making C4's because they got tired of doing it after 14 years
And I sold my 86 for almost the same reason.

The following users liked this post:
PLRX (10-26-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Subscribed! Thinking of doing the same thing some day....

Love the I-20 sign JRRifleCoach! That's my daily commute over here closer to the other coast.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

When it was time for getting another stable mate for my 87 I thought about a cheaper C5, maybe even getting a loan if the car was right....drove a couple, aside from some added refinements and power, the car just didn't feel right to me, especially that butt. Ended up with a low mileage senior owned 94.

Just find the body style you like, buy it, mod it if that's your thing and enjoy
Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow, this thread got far afield! Corvette owners are rarely shy about their opinions.
Originally Posted by blackozvet
if your c5 is reliable your going to be too busy driving it and not complaining about it on the internet!
Exactly, and the C5 forum reflects that.

I was never a fan of C5 styling but bought one to flip it. What I found was that it's the best all around Corvette (of 7 owned) and gets WAY more positive remarks than my C4 ever did in 32 years of ownership. I enjoy the quick, if more raw, C4 plenty or it'd be gone.

The C5 Vert is fast, smooth, economical, trouble-free, comfortable, has usable storage, is very capable in the twisties, way easier entry/exit and the 6-speed is hardly an issue in SoCal traffic, especially with the amazing torque of the LS1. The stock headlights are just fine for these old eyes (hate the too-directional LED and projectors lights in oncoming cars). Cars I owned with them showed their limitations.

C5 tech level is moderate and self diagnosable/repairable compared to the C6, in the one issue I fixed.

Owning a C5 has been a very pleasurable reversal of my expectations.

Last edited by whalepirot; 10-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Wow, this thread got far afield! Corvette owners are rarely shy about their opinions.
Exactly, and the C5 forum reflects that.

I was never a fan of C5 styling but bought one to flip it. What I found was that it's the best all around Corvette (of 7 owned) and gets WAY more positive remarks than my C4 ever did in 32 years of ownership. I enjoy the quick, if more raw, C4 plenty or it'd be gone.

The C5 Vert is fast, smooth, economical, trouble-free, comfortable, has usable storage, is very capable in the twisties, way easier entry/exit and the 6-speed is hardly an issue in SoCal traffic, especially with the amazing torque of the LS1. The stock headlights are just fine for these old eyes (hate the too-directional LED and projectors lights in oncoming cars). Cars I owned with them showed their limitations.

C5 tech level is moderate and self diagnosable/repairable compared to the C6, in the one issue I fixed.

Owning a C5 has been a very pleasurable reversal of my expectations.
I've always thought that once you buy a C5, your troubles are all behind you.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
One can hope.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

They're as much problem as any Corvette. Maybe a little worse than the C6.

If you want your problems to be behind you in a Corvette, you need a warranty and a loaner car. Even a brand new car can have issues.

The laundry list of C5 problems is long and fairly severe. Have an EBCM issue and you'll wish you just had an optispark to deal with. It seems like C5 problems are less common, but more severe. C4 problems are more common likely due to age and general cheapness - expect the c5s to follow this pattern soon), but less severe.

Last edited by FAUEE; 10-25-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The laundry list of C5 problems is long and fairly severe. Have an EBCM issue and you'll wish you just had an optispark to deal with. It seems like C5 problems are less common, but more severe. C4 problems are more common likely due to age and general cheapness - expect the c5s to follow this pattern soon), but less severe.
I'm sure there the C2 and C3 groups were saying that about the C4 when it came out. OMG!! All those electronics. I can rebuild a carb for less money than it takes to diagnose and fix the C4. All those modules could go wrong. What if the mechanic keeps going at it? It will cost a fortune.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:05 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm sure there the C2 and C3 groups were saying that about the C4 when it came out. OMG!! All those electronics. I can rebuild a carb for less money than it takes to diagnose and fix the C4. All those modules could go wrong. What if the mechanic keeps going at it? It will cost a fortune.
Right!? It’s all relative, sooner or later C5 cracks will begin to show with C6, C7 etc to follow. Not a Corvette thing, just a matter of time as things age.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
Right!? It’s all relative, sooner or later C5 cracks will begin to show with C6, C7 etc to follow. Not a Corvette thing, just a matter of time as things age.
As I have said before, my grandpa doesn't understand Dad when he was younger. Dad won't understand me and I won't understand my kids. Older generation never will really understand the next and so on. Longer they live, the more it will come out. The wife is fond of telemedicine. Great concept. Now how to get the old geezers to understand that it is a good thing?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
As I have said before, my grandpa doesn't understand Dad when he was younger. Dad won't understand me and I won't understand my kids. Older generation never will really understand the next and so on. Longer they live, the more it will come out. The wife is fond of telemedicine. Great concept. Now how to get the old geezers to understand that it is a good thing?
Ha ha Telemedicine.... HR at work went over that today because open enrollment is here.... You can visit with your doctor virtually... 24/7. Yea right... My doctor aint answering the phone at 2am. Thats what an emergency room is for. If I want to see my doctor, Ill just go to his office 5 minutes from here and see him.... in person thanks! So I can get an accurate diagnosis .
Old 10-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Renfield
Drifting

If you want your problems to be behind you in a Corvette, you need a warranty and a loaner car. Even a brand new car can have issues.

Sorry guys. That was my too subtle tongue-in-cheek jab at the big **** on the C5.

I have no doubt that every generation has issues.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Sorry guys. That was my too subtle tongue-in-cheek jab at the big **** on the C5.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I have no doubt that every generation has issues.

That went right over my head, lol.

I maintain the C6 is the least problematic generation as its really an evolution. The LS platform wasn't new. The platform was very much an evolution. The electronics had 10 years to mature in reliability.

That's just my opinion though. And even my C6 has had a very few issues and it's a 2012.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:29 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Not a Corvette thing, just a matter of time as things age.
Indeed. A news recent news piece spoke of the increase in problems with newer cars. I experienced this firsthand with two new 7 series BMWs; became untrustworthy junk well before 100k.

A new Subaru Outback was Lemon Lawed for faulty electronics that the dealer, even with factory support, could not fix. After months of research for a reliable new car, the Sube choice was not good.

In both cases, failures were not a major component, but crucial to the car's use. The BWM, while shiny and nice, lost the trust of my wife to take it to the store and back. That had really accelerated after a once-simple battery change.

Predicting that C5 issues will increase with age is like saying the sun will rise tomorrow. Whether due to financilly driven lack of manufacturer support, component complexity that few shops understand, let alone fix, the more common requirement for dealer-only computer tools for even simple things, throwaway mentality or other factors, simplicity reigns (again) for longterm ownership. I distrust the totally integrated e-packages which go obsolete or disfunctional in short order. Hell, many of the Subaru's premium features never worked due to software bugs or incompatibility, from day one.. and it worsened.

I drive older cars.... for as long as I wish to home-rebuild parts, on a relatively infrequent basis.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Not a Corvette thing, just a matter of time as things age.
Indeed. A news recent news piece spoke of the increase in problems with newer cars. I experienced this firsthand with two new 7 series BMWs; became untrustworthy junk well before 100k.

A new Subaru Outback was Lemon Lawed for faulty electronics that the dealer, even with factory support, could not fix. After months of research for a reliable new car, the Sube choice was not good.

In both cases, failures were not a major component, but crucial to the car's use. The BWM, while shiny and nice, lost the trust of my wife to take it to the store and back. That had really accelerated after a once-simple battery change.

Predicting that C5 issues will increase with age is like saying the sun will rise tomorrow. Whether due to financilly driven lack of manufacturer support, component complexity that few shops understand, let alone fix, the more common requirement for dealer-only computer tools for even simple things, throwaway mentality or other factors, simplicity reigns (again) for longterm ownership. I distrust the totally integrated e-packages which go obsolete or disfunctional in short order. Hell, many of the Subaru's premium features never worked due to software bugs or incompatibility, from day one.. and it worsened.

I drive older cars.... for as long as I wish to home-rebuild parts, on a relatively infrequent basis.

big **** on the C5
Here, too, black is slimming!
Old 10-26-2017, 12:06 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Silver85
Love the I-20 sign JRRifleCoach! That's my daily commute over here closer to the other coast.
I found that in a ditch when we lived in FtWorth.
Complete with bullet hole....

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Think twice

Old 10-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default The Real Reason C4 Production Was Stopped....

FYI - The fact is they stopped making the C4 because it would have been almost impossible to continue to modify it to meet government regs mandated for model year 1997 and beyond. This is detailed in the book "All Corvettes Are Red" by James Schefter. Good book by the way.....
Old 10-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
FYI - The fact is they stopped making the C4 because it would have been almost impossible to continue to modify it to meet government regs mandated for model year 1997 and beyond. This is detailed in the book "All Corvettes Are Red" by James Schefter. Good book by the way.....

What government regs?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
What government regs?
From what I recall having read the book years ago the most difficult would have been meeting the side impact standards for 1997 MY vehicles.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 10-26-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 Think twice