C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1990 Yellow ZR-1 what might it be worth

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:25 AM
Jackson \Redstar
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Yellow ZR-1 what might it be worth

I have a 1990 Yellow ZR-1 about 35k miles. It has been sitting in the garage for over 17 years. has never been started in that time. no idea if it still runs or not, some of the wiring harness may be hosed because of mice. Basically, it is a restore project. Anybody have any guesses what it might be worth or even if people are looking for a project ZR-1? it did run perfectly fine last time it was driven

thank you
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

After 17 years of sitting, it's a total gamble on if it runs or not. It could be worth only a couple hundred bucks if the powertrain is seized. Why would a car with 35k miles sit for 17 years without being started? What was the cause of it being parked?

You're going to be better off testing to see that the engine isn't seized, then getting it running. If it was running and clean, it could be worth 15-20k.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:57 AM
mjn76
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 90 z

Hagerty list a number 4 (fair)condition car (which is a reliable runner/driver)at $13,100 the yellow is a rarer color so it has that going for it, but in my opinion not the best looking on a 1990 specifically (I just dosen’t seem to gel on the early c4 body as well)
by your description it has to be considered a non-runner at this point, wiring can be fixed but it is an arduous and expensive undertaking, and if it has been invaded by mice you will almost never get the smell out of it ( even if you think you do the first cold night that you turn on the windshield defog will let you know you were Wrong)
in a garage for that amount of time it will need a new set of tires, checking tire rack the cheapest set (toyo drag radials) will set you back $745.95 +shippping, mounting, balancing ect.
Cheapest street tire (Goodyears) are $1316.16+ extras
Cheapest at Walmart
Nitto NT555R Extreme Drag Tire $768 + extras
Nitto nt05 street $762.00 +extras
So right off the bat you are looking at $1000 minimum just for tires
Another $150 for a battery
$100 for fluids (oil, brake and radiator)
The tank will most likely need to be dropped and flushed (diy free, shop labor as high as let say $500)
New auto zone fuel pump and filter $100
Injectors $500
Assorted hoses, fuses, bushings, fasteners, gaskets, o-rings, ect. Another $500
That puts you into it for around $3k with no guarantee that it runs and if it does how reliably, and what about the ancillary systems, heat-a/c, stereo, electrics…..the list goes on
Sadly the car will never be high dollar correct this route just a driver and that means its worth $15-$20 max like fauee said
Yes there are people that would be willing to buy a project zr-1, myself included but a zr-1 is not an inexpensive proposition even today. In all honesty the car is probably worth a little less than someone can get parting it out. For cheap enough I would take a chance just to try to put it back on the road but I think I am probably in the minority.
but hey if you do decide to sell it let me know maybe we can work something out
M.J.N.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:07 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
After 17 years of sitting, it's a total gamble on if it runs or not. It could be worth only a couple hundred bucks if the powertrain is seized. Why would a car with 35k miles sit for 17 years without being started? What was the cause of it being parked?

You're going to be better off testing to see that the engine isn't seized, then getting it running. If it was running and clean, it could be worth 15-20k.
(sort of...) - my 2-cents, FWIW -- I don't know about a couple hundred bucks though - probably worth 10X that in parts alone. personally, i would pull the plugs and pre lube the cylinders. along with a fresh oil change, I would turn the engine over by hand and not the starter to check for engine seizing. I have no experience with the LT5, so I don't know if you can drive the oil pump like a typical first gen small block - that's something i'd personally have to look into. the fuel system, from the tank to the injectors needs attention, as well as the cooling system. I wouldn't attempt to start the thing before a complete systems checkout. the clutch, brakes, and remainder of the drivetrain would also need attention, in addition to a new set of tires, before i'd put that thing on the road. 17 years is a long time, but not necessarily beyond hope. IMO, a lot of upfront work needs to be done. one thing this car would have going for it is the color - 1990 yellow is a rare color - GM pulled it after around 150 units - I doubt there's a handful ZR-1's out there. personally, with the limited info, and the fact it could need of a lot of work (and a lot of money), i'd put the price more at $8K-$10K and that would depend on the paint and interior cosmetics, as well as all the little things - wheels, weather stripping, etc.. pricing, i'd err on the side of caution with this one. the thing is 28 years old, and most likely everything needs some attention - even if it wasn't sitting for 17 years. , it's a gamble, and no gray area. it's either going to be easy to bring back to life, or it could be a complete nightmare, costing a ton of money.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:13 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Was it sitting on pavement the whole time ? or a dirt floor or in the weeds or what ?
Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

If its been sitting on pavement in a garage then I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it starts with a new battery and 5 gallons of fresh gas.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:24 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it starts with a new battery and 5 gallons of fresh gas.
I would.

The gas is now varnish and the fuel system needs a complete (complete) overhaul.

The LT5 is a funny animal; it NEEDS to be run. Low mileage cars that sat for a long time scare me more that one with 60k-80k that were run regular with steady maintenance.

As far as value, get the car sorted and it will be 18-22k. Now, off set what you paid verses what you will spend to bring it up to speed. The 8k numbers are not that far off.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:27 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

If the guy is thinking of selling the car for a number between say 5k and 10k then I might go find out for sure. Maybe he will post some pictures.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:58 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Interested. PM sent.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:12 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

What was the cause of it being parked?
Second that would love to know the story behind being parked with such low mileage and ZR1 to boot. Sad to hear it's sat for so long.

The parts are probably worth more then the sum, but I think anyone interested in the car will probably want to restore it and I don't think it would take a lot of work to do, but after sitting 17 years, going to need some TLC especially with the fuel system that is most likely gummed up now!
Old 11-02-2017, 02:55 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

My very low number is based on oy knowing if anything works. If the engine and trans and rear diff are seized, it was parked due to an ecu failure or something, and mice and rodents have been in it, it may be worth only what the body panels and glass are worth, minus some cost for removal. It all depends just how good or bad it is.
The following users liked this post:
mjn76 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:15 PM
mjn76
Instructor

My very low number is based on oy knowing if anything works. If the engine and trans and rear diff are seized, it was parked due to an ecu failure or something, and mice and rodents have been in it, it may be worth only what the body panels and glass are worth, minus some cost for removal. It all depends just how good or bad it is.
This, so many times this. The fact is that the 90 is not the most desirable of the Z's a ton of them were made and many have low miles. When good ones are going for $15,000,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...5-000-obo.html

bad ones (Figuratively) are just not really worth the effort.
Now if this is the same Zr-1 that has been posted on the other (Z specific forum) there sounds like there is some sentimentality and the owner wants to keep it and get it going again. If that is the case then that is the only person who this car has real value for, because the initial buy in is done and every penny spent will be in the effort to resurrect it.
All the people who think that this is a $5000 to $7000 car just don't seem to understand the logistics of bringing a car like this back. you don't buy it on what is there, you buy it based on what is not. and in this case the car as far as we know is a total loss worth nothing more than parts. So lets argue for it in that respect. luckily there are is always a demand for parts from Z's but how much will it take in time, space and labor to get all those parts sold? Going off of the for sale example above again, if there is $15000 in part on a running example, how much are the unproven untested parts worth, half, less? certainly not the same. So lets say it is on the high side of half, and we base the price of the car off of the example, automatically it goes down to a $7500 car. is it worth the $7500 to bring it up to the condition of the one above, that is up to the one spending the money but with no guarantee that that is all it will take I would say not even close . is it worth $7500 to someone parting it out to make $7500, again no way, nobody is gonna part it out to break even. so again how much is your time and effort worth. Sadly in my opinion it would be less than 1/3 of that and at that $2500 it would be a huge risk on ever seeing a return on the investment

Last edited by mjn76; 11-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:52 PM
mjn76
Instructor

the owner of this car is posting on the Z forum and it does not seem that she is affiliated with this thread, (I have no clue if she even knows who started it). it also seems that she does not intend on selling the car and would rather repair/have it repaired herself. regardless the information presented on here has been interesting.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:51 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mjn76
the owner of this car is posting on the Z forum and it does not seem that she is affiliated with this thread, (I have no clue if she even knows who started it). it also seems that she does not intend on selling the car and would rather repair/have it repaired herself. regardless the information presented on here has been interesting.
Boy that’s odd! Read the other post too. Either there are 2 yellow 90’s with about 35k miles and mouse eaten wiring that have been sitting for 17 years (in this case) or 12 years in the other. Or there is something hincky going on here.

H
Old 11-02-2017, 09:10 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I smell trolls.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:47 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I smell trolls.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 PM
whichvette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All this nonsense and not one pic?

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Yellow ZR-1 what might it be worth

Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I smell trolls.
Agree, but what are they trolling for??? I never understand the mentality behind forum trolls. If one really wants to troll on CF, just open a thread proclaim Mustangs are better cars then Corvettes...
Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This car needs to be saved. Comp yellow is one of the most desirable colors in a 90. The parts to fix it are out there and plenty of people in the Z community to lend a hand if needed. If this car were closer to me I'd do what I could to buy it.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 11-05-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM
whichvette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
This car needs to be saved. Comp yellow is one of the most desirable colors in a 90. The parts to fix it are out there and plenty of people in the Z community to lend a hand if needed. If this car were closer to me I'd do what I could to buy it.
Can we at least get one pic? Before we send the red cross

Quick Reply: 1990 Yellow ZR-1 what might it be worth