ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

TTT - in case someone missed it ...

I have 10 Kidde extinguishers, and 6 were under the recall. Thanks to Greg for bringing this my attention.

Because I had 6, I had to call in and not use the web form. It was pretty painless. Replacements should arrive in a couple weeks.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

TTT - tbis is pretty important in case you missed it

I received the last of my extinguishers under recall. It's a painless process. They ship the new extinguisher to you for free. You ship the recalled one back with their pre-paid shipping label.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ghlkal
TTT - tbis is pretty important in case you missed it

I received the last of my extinguishers under recall. It's a painless process. They ship the new extinguisher to you for free. You ship the recalled one back with their pre-paid shipping label.
Now I'm curious. How does that work? I thought you can't ship pressurized stuff USPS and it has to be a Hazmat shipper? Wouldn't that cost a bundle?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:31 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Now I'm curious. How does that work? I thought you can't ship pressurized stuff USPS and it has to be a Hazmat shipper? Wouldn't that cost a bundle?
They are shipping FedEx ground. They arrive with the hazmat sticker on the box and they ask that you not remove it. They include a return Fed Ex ground marked ground transportation only.

I looked up the placard they are using and it said "limited quantities markings are perfect for identifying dangerous goods being transported under limited quantity exceptions".

I order SCUBA tanks from Atlanta and they arrive at 100 psi, which is enough to maintain the visual inspection but low enough for ground shipping.

Strangely the two I had were replaced. Then two more replacements showed up.

Last edited by belairbrian; 01-03-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

[QUOTE=Strangely the two I had were replaced. Then two mre replacements showed up.[/QUOTE]

I got my three and two weeks later three more from a different location
Someone is messing up ...

I can't get a call through to the hotline to ask what to do (always busy) ... send them back?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SuperL98
I got my three and two weeks later three more from a different location
Someone is messing up ...

I can't get a call through to the hotline to ask what to do (always busy) ... send them back?
Not your screwed up problem. I had a parts house send me parts u didn't order and when I called, they said they would figure it out. A week later, another bunch of stuff showed up. Just like Directv that didn't send me return packs like they said, I told them that by January 31it is out of my house, one way or the other.

If you want to sell it and it fits my Seadoo Jetskis, I'll take both if you PM me. Let me know what you want and I'll see if we can make a deal.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm probably to old and been around to long, but I don't want anything free in life, only what I worked or paid for.
I'd be happy to slap on the return label and send them back.
The only reason I'd like to talk to someone, is it might be like my Honda Air Bag recall.
They changed the Drivers side bag, a few months later they recalled the new bag they installed ... back in again ... then they recalled the passenger side bag.
Won't be surprised if they recall that one again

Maybe they sent out bad extinguishers the first time ... I don't know

Last edited by SuperL98; 01-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:23 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I just got my replacement. I think I'll just keep the old one and throw it in the truck for a spare. It's still good, I test fired it.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I'm probably to old and been around to long, but I don't want anything free in life, only what I worked or paid for.

Maybe they sent out bad extinguishers the first time ... I don't know
My point is that you tried and they don't pick up the phone in a reasonable time. Your duty is done.

Don't know. I wouldn't worry about it. By law, it has to be on my Seadoos. I mean, for that to catch on fire, it would be from the motor under my ***. If you think I am sticking around, you got another think coming. Wife and I ride in pairs. Either of our skis have smoke, we are jumping off that one onto the other. But the DNR might check so we have to make our show. Same with the car. NFW would I bother to grab the extinguisher, try open the hood and spray. Flames or smoke comes out of the hood, watch me beat Usain Bolt in the sprint AWAY from the car.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My point is that you tried and they don't pick up the phone in a reasonable time. Your duty is done.

Don't know. I wouldn't worry about it. By law, it has to be on my Seadoos. I mean, for that to catch on fire, it would be from the motor under my ***. If you think I am sticking around, you got another think coming. Wife and I ride in pairs. Either of our skis have smoke, we are jumping off that one onto the other. But the DNR might check so we have to make our show. Same with the car. NFW would I bother to grab the extinguisher, try open the hood and spray. Flames or smoke comes out of the hood, watch me beat Usain Bolt in the sprint AWAY from the car.
Depends on the car, my Honda.... no problem let it burn and collect the insurance.... but my c4 has sentimental value and the gas tank is on the opposite end so I'm gonna spray it, which is a good note to all the folks out there looking, if you are gonna do work on your fuel system its a good idea to have an extinguisher around, ask me how I know........
Old 01-04-2018, 08:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
Depends on the car, my Honda.... no problem let it burn and collect the insurance.... but my c4 has sentimental value and the gas tank is on the opposite end so I'm gonna spray it, which is a good note to all the folks out there looking, if you are gonna do work on your fuel system its a good idea to have an extinguisher around, ask me how I know........
I got more money to buy another car and build it up. IDK how to buy skin when it gets burned. I don't got that kind of sentimental feelings about any car that I am willing to risk a burn. When I open that hood, there might be a sudden rush of oxygen which might feed a smouldering fire. IIRC, it might be called a backdraft.

When I work on the fuel system, it is stone cold. I do NOT work on it myself if it has run and gotten hot. That is for a mechanic to do. His skin getting burned doesn't hurt me. My skin getting burned does. I do NOT work on my fuel system in the garage. It gets rolled out onto the driveway where it is well ventilated. There is an extinguisher nearby. It is chocked so that if I pull the chocks, it will roll onto the street. My house has me and the wife.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

I got more money to buy another car and build it up. IDK how to buy skin when it gets burned. I don't got that kind of sentimental feelings about any car that I am willing to risk a burn. When I open that hood, there might be a sudden rush of oxygen which might feed a smouldering fire. IIRC, it might be called a backdraft.

When I work on the fuel system, it is stone cold. I do NOT work on it myself if it has run and gotten hot. That is for a mechanic to do. His skin getting burned doesn't hurt me. My skin getting burned does. I do NOT work on my fuel system in the garage. It gets rolled out onto the driveway where it is well ventilated. There is an extinguisher nearby. It is chocked so that if I pull the chocks, it will roll onto the street. My house has me and the wife.

Here ya go.....you can borrow these, now put that extinguisher to use when the time comes........
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979

Here ya go.....you can borrow these, now put that extinguisher to use when the time comes........
Thanks for the tip but I think I am man enough not to let the boys taunt me to do something dangerous for little to no gain so they think or say that they are impressed.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:57 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

I agree with this to a point. but they aren't shipping by USPS. SO to return them, I either have to schedule a pickup with FedEx and wait around for them or drive them to another town to drop them off at FedEx.

So I do that for the first set, then another set shows up. Now they are wasting my time. This for a company that has sold defective fire extinguishers for over 20 years.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:09 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Thanks for the tip but I think I am man enough not to let the boys taunt me to do something dangerous for little to no gain so they think or say that they are impressed.
Hold my beer, I got this.......
Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by belairbrian
I agree with this to a point. but they aren't shipping by USPS. SO to return them, I either have to schedule a pickup with FedEx and wait around for them or drive them to another town to drop them off at FedEx.

So I do that for the first set, then another set shows up. Now they are wasting my time. This for a company that has sold defective fire extinguishers for over 20 years.
So where is the problem? Do what I did with companies like that. It's on my front doorstep for X number of weeks. At the end of it, it's in the trash or better yet, at Goodwill so I get a tax donation writeoff. I told DirecTv that lately and I told another company that a few years ago. If you choose to go the difficult road, you can't complain. I'm not waiting for you. Your mistake, you come get it or I toss it. Any way you like it.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I received 2 more, I think i will give them to my new landlord. I got 2 like a month ago.
Someone is really screwing up, but if you think about 20 years of units that is hard to keep straight.

Get notified of new replies

To KIDDE Recalling 40 Million Fire Extinguishers

Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not your screwed up problem. I had a parts house send me parts u didn't order and when I called, they said they would figure it out. A week later, another bunch of stuff showed up. Just like Directv that didn't send me return packs like they said, I told them that by January 31it is out of my house, one way or the other.

If you want to sell it and it fits my Seadoo Jetskis, I'll take both if you PM me. Let me know what you want and I'll see if we can make a deal.
Virtually all the Kidde watercraft fire extinguishers have been recalled.

There are a couple of issues with the new ones they are sending out to replace them though. First you probably had a push button activated watercraft extinguisher that was designed to fit in the OEM storage spot on your watercraft... The new replacements are not push button extinguishers, they have a traditional pin and lever trigger that is much larger on top then the slimmer push button type they're replacing.

Also the replacement extinguisher's are not the same size as the recalled ones. They have have a wider/shorter body that may not fit in the OEM SeaDoo mounting location that was designed to store the mandatory extinguisher in. Every Yamaha watercraft with a tube OEM storage location will have this problem, and the new replacement extinguisher's will not fit in the OEM tube...... not sure about SeaDoo OEM mounting? Be aware of this before you purchase new ones!

Last edited by mako41; 01-20-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:52 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mako41
Did you have to give a hull number or anything when you entered a watercraft?

The RV ones (my RV one was push button) are also different and don't fit the old mount. I had to fill in the VIN to complete the form. Wondering if they are tracking them as a motor vehicle recall as well.

To be fair to Kiddie, I did get a message saying the size may differ and may require remounting. Not a big deal with most RVs or boats but a PWC doesn't have much extra space to work with.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:39 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mako41

There are a couple of issues with the new ones they are sending out to replace them though. First you probably had a push button activated watercraft extinguisher that was designed to fit in the OEM storage spot on your watercraft... The new replacements are not push button extinguishers, they have a traditional pin and lever trigger that is much larger on top then the slimmer push button type they're replacing.

Also the replacement extinguisher's are not the same size as the recalled ones. They have have a wider/shorter body that may not fit in the OEM SeaDoo mounting location that was designed to store the mandatory extinguisher in. Every Yamaha watercraft with a tube OEM storage location will have this problem, and the new replacement extinguisher's will not fit in the OEM tube...... not sure about SeaDoo OEM mounting? Be aware of this before you purchase new ones!
Yuck. The Mariner 5 unit will definitely NOT fit easily. Mine has an indent with a rubber strap but I if it is larger, the radius of the holder that is moulded into the front won't work. Good thing the wife and I always ride together so if one goes on fire,
. So far I have only been asked once in all the years of riding. Guess I will just have it there for show.

Thanks for the tip

Last edited by aklim; 01-21-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: KIDDE Recalling 40 Million Fire Extinguishers