Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Potential First C4 Corvette Purchase - Opinions/Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:39 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Beautiful car, looks like it was very well kept. It's a very good sign that the service manuals are included but does not guarantee anything. The best part is the complete service history with receipts - this easily adds thousands to the value, in my opinion. If you have looked around and driven some, and you are sure this is "the one" for you, go for it before it's gone. At the same time, I need to say there are a lot of C4s to be had with $8000. My first Corvette was a 1995 coupe 6-speed loaded with everything except ZR1 and Z07 options. Great condition, 105,000 miles, I paid $7800.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Agent13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car was listed on eBay at least twice in the past. I was in negotiations to purchase it and got him down to $5,800, so you may want to keep that in mind. I was out of the country on vacation at the time and he refused to take anything but a personal check as a deposit. I didn't have any personal checks with me so he said "we are done" and that was it for the time. Afterwards, he relisted it on eBay and it reached $5,100. A day later he e-mailed me stating that the ebayer had scammed him, and asked if I was still interested in the car. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't.

Seems like a good deal, the only other issue I got him to admit was a small oil leak. I would take a good look at it, as the very blurry odometer in the pictures looks like it may show 7x,xxx miles. They may be older pictures.

Last edited by Agent13; 11-14-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 PM
machina
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent13
This car was listed on eBay at least twice in the past. I was in negotiations to purchase it and got him down to $5,800, so you may want to keep that in mind. I was out of the country on vacation at the time and he refused to take anything but a personal check as a deposit. I didn't have any personal checks with me so he said "we are done" and that was it for the time. Afterwards, he relisted it on eBay and it reached $5,100. A day later he e-mailed me stating that the ebayer had scammed him, and asked if I was still interested in the car. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't.

Seems like a good deal, the only other issue I got him to admit was a small oil leak. I would take a good look at it, as the very blurry odometer in the pictures looks like it may show 7x,xxx miles. They may be older pictures.
Wow, that's some great insight there Agent, I appreciate that. Our plans for an appointment over the weekend actually fell through and the fact that I had to dig into the undisclosed problem with the switch plus the fact you're saying now there is an oil leak has got me even more weary about the true condition of this one. How long ago were the listings on eBay posted?

Still, the switch doesn't seem like a huge issue, and from what I've read + heard, oil leaks are pretty common on the C4 and aren't too big of an issue to deal with either (if I'm wrong, anyone please enlighten me.) Even with those issues, from the listings I've gone through it still is definitely the front runner for all the C4's I've looked into and I'm still always on the lookout though. Owner does sound odd though so I'll definitely be having a thorough look of the car.

Last edited by machina; 11-14-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 PM
Agent13
Instructor

Originally Posted by machina
Wow, that's some great insight there Agent, I appreciate that. Our plans for an appointment over the weekend actually fell through and the fact that I had to dig into the undisclosed problem with the switch plus the fact you're saying now there is an oil leak has got me even more weary about the true condition of this one. How long ago were the listings on eBay posted?

Still, the switch doesn't seem like a huge issue, and from what I've read + heard, oil leaks are pretty common on the C4 and aren't too big of an issue to deal with either (if I'm wrong, anyone please enlighten me.) Even with those issues, from the listings I've gone through it still is definitely the front runner for all the C4's I've looked into and I'm still always on the lookout though. Owner does sound odd though so I'll definitely be having a thorough look of the car.
I was speaking to him in late August / early September 2017. It appears that he has been trying to sell it for awhile.

He once offered me a Second Chance Offer for $5,600 on the first listing, but quickly pulled it the next day.

Here is a link to the final listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Chevro...-/253126248641

I agree that the owner is somewhat strange. Just take a real good look at it... Good luck with your hunt!!!

Last edited by Agent13; 11-14-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Agent13
Instructor

Look at what I found.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590183044
Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 PM
machina
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent13

So as of this morning, I'm the newest owner of this Vette! - drove 2 hours from SF to go check it out at the butt crack of dawn.

I've gotta admit, I was skeptical going in but the thing looks cherry in person. I think my '12 Mustang I just recently got rid of had more nicks and rock chips than this thing did. The interior was also solid and strangely, the seats looked better in person than in the pictures, and all electronics, buttons, switches, and in-betweens worked as they should. Took it for a spin and I drove it pretty hard (Heck, he insisted I should) and the thing was tight, shifts were crisp, cruise control worked as it should - with this car being 30 years old and most being beat to crap by this time, I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience.

Just as surprising, the owner opened up quite a bit about the car and his history with it. Just a quick look over its maintenance history showed that he definitely poured some money into bringing it back up to par as it definitely needed some TLC when he got it. Obviously, he took care of what he thought was most important and just lived with what didn't mind him much (the oil leak, the OD switch). From what I gathered, he's trying to recoup as much of his investment into the car as possible. And from the looks of your last find, he's been trying to do it for a while! Understandable I suppose.

I wasn't able to get him down to the $5,100 eBay close (I thought it was a fat chance lol) nor did I get him to match your $5,800. Honestly, I think that would've been a *steal* all things considered. Would've been ecstatic to get it at that price but we agreed to $6200 and I'm happy with it.

Again, the only real issues with it are what we already know - the OD switch and the oil leak (which, after reviewing the records, appears that it maybe coming from the intake manifold? will need to double check that). He had also noted that the horn wasn't working but I inadvertently set off the alarm and the horn went off as it should so I'm assuming it may be the relay or a switch? If anyone with knowledge about it could comment that would help drastically.

Anywho, long-winded follow-up here but to wrap it up - I'm beyond thrilled to finally have fulfilled my dream of becoming a part of the Corvette family!! Thank you to everyone for your advice, input, and feedback! It all helped very much and I appreciate every last bit of it!

Last edited by machina; 11-17-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Agent13
Instructor

Congrats on your purchase! Post up some pictures!

I'm looking at two C4s tomorrow myself, hopefully one will accompany me home.

Last edited by Agent13; 11-17-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Dont forget to post pics!!!!

Quick Reply: Potential First C4 Corvette Purchase - Opinions/Feedback?