Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spark Plug Wire Changing What's the Big Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wire Changing What's the Big Deal?

Maybe it's just the 92 configuration but I don't get the big deal about changing the plug wires.

I read thread after thread about the horror of these wires, and can't see what people were talking about. Plugs are a bit of a pain but the wires took all of 30 minutes.

I did plugs and wires from above, no climbing under. I had to unbolt or remove three parts. I also had the front wheels off so it was easier to get in close and work.

The three parts were the serpentine belt, belt tensioner assy and I moved the ASR assy around to get at the plugs easier.

Like most, plugs 6 and 8 were the hard ones, but a palm ratchet really helps.

I did think about cutting the over length dipstick tube stud down, can't figure out why it's so long. But I managed to work around it.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

passenger side is a piece of cake drivers side not so much. on my 94 all the drivers side wires were routed though the alt/ ps/ AC bracket.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:59 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
passenger side is a piece of cake drivers side not so much. on my 94 all the drivers side wires were routed though the alt/ ps/ AC bracket.
The 92 is the same way. But with the tensioner off I had access to both sides of the bracket. So they came right through.

The tensioner comes off with one bolt.

Last edited by belairbrian; 11-10-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

On both my '95 and '96 I also unbolted the PS pump and the ASR bracket came out.

I've had worse. A '73 Dodge 440 comes to mind.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,430 Likes on 2,795 Posts

It's a pain, but it's not that bad. I think a lot of people are put off by the expectation that with the giant clamshell hood everything will be easy, and this ends up being less easy than expected.

People make a big fuss about the Opti as well, it's not so ad as long as you don't have anything corroded in place. I think a lot of it is people just repeating what they head someone say without having ever done it themselves. People use the Opti as an excuse to haggle people down. They act like every Opti is failed already and you have to pull the engine and trans to get it out.
The following users liked this post:
DGXR (11-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Wire Changing What's the Big Deal?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wire Changing What's the Big Deal?