C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What works choke on a 1988 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
The fact that either will get it going pretty much means you have a cold fuel delivery problem. The ignition system must be functioning or the either wouldn't help. Checking fuel pressure is the first place to start.
This ^.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Yes. The thermo time switch is right next to the ECM's CTS in the front of the manifold. It has a brown insulator, and uses a "injector type" connector. There is a recent thread with pics of it that I think JoeC posted.

This is speculation on my part:
The last year for the Cold Start injector is 1988. In 89 they go to the Multecs that have a better atomization pattern than the EV-1's. So can they use a longer IPW to get the engine started cold without as much risk of flooding or oil dilution as there would be with a long IPW on an EV-1? There has to be a correlation between the abandonment of the cold start injector with the adoption of the Multec Injectors. The Multecs can deliver the needed fuel for a cold start, but the earlier EV-1's couldn't.
I kinda doubt that's the reason. IIRC, some of the early TPI years used 24lb injectors. Multecs were 21...which [by the size alone] would imply a longer IPW than a 24. When I converted to a 383, Jon (FIC) said it was fine for me to use 24lb (SVOs) which don't atomize quite as well. It's been 7 yrs and I've had no issue, flooding, or oil dilution.

If I wagered a guess, it may be as simple as not having enough computing power or memory in the earliest ECMs. Possibly even a stock issue with intakes?

There was a computer change in 87. Plus... I've seen the tuning parms for the 85, 86, and 87. Compared to my 89, code/parms WERE less sophisticated. (The assembler code was less sophisticated too.) Code improved in 87, 88, then again in 89. You know how SLOW (us) computer programmers are!

Once programmers got the "computing power" to code for cold start via the 8 existing injectors, it could have been a function of how many "9th injector" intakes they had left before it made sense to cast another version w/o the cold start injector.

Bean counters, you know!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker

You don't happen to know where i can get a 400 sbc.Was gonna put one in my 80 vette but the block was no good.Got 6" rods,pistons and crank but no block.Thanks
I'm running an aftermarket World Products block. Don't have to worry about cracked mains.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
If I wagered a guess, it may be as simple as not having enough computing power or memory in the earliest ECMs.
If that's true, why is my '84 so smart?

I don't have a Cold Start injector, and it starts and runs just fine! (And I don't have a choke!) Did someone forget about KISS?

Old 11-16-2017, 04:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy

I don't have a Cold Start injector, and it starts and runs just fine! (And I don't have a choke!) Did someone forget about KISS?

Is an apple better than an orange? The systems are completely different. Does the 84 have the same efficiency as the L98? I think not. So in one sense, it might be "better". Better depends on how you define the word.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
So in one sense, it might be "better".
Finally!!! As a continual '84 basher, I finally got some good words out of you!!

Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Finally!!! As a continual '84 basher, I finally got some good words out of you!!

Depending on how out of context you quote someone, sure.

BTW, it isn't just the 84s I look down on or bash. I am not a fan of old things that are past their time.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

So....How does 84 fuel enrichment work? (esp when cold)

I'm not sure the KISS comment applies when (increasingly "smart") technology has led to: easier diagnosis, better efficiency, and more power....and possibly less collisions with autonomous driving.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

and possibly less collisions with autonomous driving.
Considering the distracted or DUIs, not to mention the other reckless driving and brain farts, I'm going to guess that if done properly, the autonomous driving will have to work really hard to be less dangerous than people
Old 11-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

So....How does '84 fuel enrichment work? (esp when cold)
That's explained in the '84 FSM. The OP's question is about his '88.

. . . and possibly less collisions with autonomous driving.
And that will be the demise of owner-driven sports cars!!!

Old 11-17-2017, 03:19 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

That's explained in the '84 FSM. The OP's question is about his '88.
You could have just said you don't have a clue.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

You could have just said you don't have a clue.
Sorry. Was that an offensive answer? I do "have a clue", because I've read the book, and I've had my '84 for 14 years, so I've learned a few things about it. I didn't want to hijack this thread with a long explanation that had nothing to do with the OP's question. Okay? Please have another beer!

By the way, I'm not trying to say that my '84 has a better EFI system than the L98's, in spite of my attempt at humor with Aklim! GM is always trying to advance the technology, sometimes even with success! (The Optispark is debateable.)

The following users liked this post:
whalepirot (11-21-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Sorry. Was that an offensive answer? I do "have a clue", because I've read the book, and I've had my '84 for 14 years, so I've learned a few things about it. I didn't want to hijack this thread with a long explanation that had nothing to do with the OP's question. Okay? Please have another beer!

By the way, I'm not trying to say that my '84 has a better EFI system than the L98's, in spite of my attempt at humor with Aklim! GM is always trying to advance the technology, sometimes even with success! (The Optispark is debateable.)

And in 2019, a new king will be born.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/news/16169/the-2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-will-try-for-a-sub-7-minute-nurburgring-lap-time%3fsource=dam
Old 11-17-2017, 08:11 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Sorry. Was that an offensive answer? I do "have a clue", because I've read the book, and I've had my '84 for 14 years, so I've learned a few things about it. I didn't want to hijack this thread with a long explanation that had nothing to do with the OP's question. Okay?
Well....just ask yourself why you thought I'd have access to an 84 FSM when I own an 89? I didn't expect the answer to be much more complicated than "Fuel is controlled by the computer"....or "The CFI has a device similar to a carb choke"....or something high-level.

You came across like "Go read a book."

I think your IMPLICATION is that CFI "cold enrichment/choke" controlled by the computer....though you didn't follow-thru and expressly say that. If I didn't have curiosity about the "evolution" of computers (ODB1), I wouldn't have asked. I'm aware of many differences between the TPI years (85-91) but never learned as much about CFIs.
Dirttracker (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Dirttracker
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FGot new temp sensor.Gonna try it today.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

FGot new temp sensor.Gonna try it today.
Did you have a reason (reading) to believe it's bad? Did you check the fuse mentioned (CSI)?
Dirttracker (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 01:52 PM
fever1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't happen to know where i can get a 400 sbc.Was gonna put one in my 80 vette but the block was no good.Got 6" rods,pistons and crank but no block.Thanks
I have a complete good block assy. never been into would need rebuilt was running when I pulled it out, had a lower end knock complete with balancer and flex plate also heads if needed, do not have the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To What works choke on a 1988 Corvette?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Dirttracker
Intermediate

Default So i have to pull radio to check fuse?

Thanks for the clarification. As an 89 owner, I've read lots of things on the differences between it and earlier TPIs but hadn't heard that before.

Is the "termo-time" switch a separate switch vs. the temp switch in the front of the (my) intake?

I think the OP was on the right track trying to figure out HOW TPIs get more fuel when cold.

Once its cranked and warm it starts just fine.Only on the 1st crank of the day it has to be sprayed with ether
Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM
Dirttracker
Intermediate

Default Fuse

Did you have a reason (reading) to believe it's bad? Did you check the fuse mentioned (CSI)?
Gonna check it thursday.Do i gotta pull radio to get to fuse?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Gonna check it thursday.Do i gotta pull radio to get to fuse?
That's what was posted at the bottom of page 1. To be honest, I'd try and confirm operation at the injector (plug?) before pulling the radio. There's some vids on YouTube for testing function of an injector.

Always pays to test thoroughly before buying parts.

Quick Reply: What works choke on a 1988 Corvette?