C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

93 cranks over but won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Cuzne
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 cranks over but won’t start

hi, new to this site and to owning a Vette. I just bought a 93 40th anniversary edition. The car had a little miss in it that I noticed on the way home after buying it. I changed the plugs and noticed that one plug looked new. After changing it,I tested the cylinder that wasn’t firing , and all was good and she cranked right up . So I changed the remaining 3 plugs , and was ready to go for a ride but now the car only cranks over (rough) no fire. My question is , can this be a security issue? Some threads say the starter won’t work if it’s security issue. Thanks for any help
Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Cuzne
Cruising

Default Update

[QUOTE=Cuzne;1595979378]hi, new to this site and to owning a Vette. I just bought a 93 40th anniversary edition. The car had a little miss in it that I noticed on the way home after buying it. I changed the plugs and noticed that one plug looked new. After changing it,I tested the cylinder that wasn’t firing , and all was good and she cranked right up . So I changed the remaining 3 plugs , and was ready to go for a ride but now the car only cranks over (rough) no fire. My question is , can this be a security issue? Some threads say the starter won’t work if it’s security issue. Thanks for any help[
Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Cuzne
Cruising

I found some bad vacuum lines and replaced a few after resetting the security and got the car to start today after a shot if starting fluid. It started fine a few times after that but after setting an hour it was acting up again. It sounds like the timing is off and coughs out of the breather but finally got it running again and drive it. It’s still missing while accelerating but other than that , it’s smooth as can be. There are no warning lights on so I’m not sure if that means no codes or not. I’ve only had her a week and I’m eager to start driving it. Thinking of changing o2 sensors and already ordered a opti and water pump. Thanks for any advice
Old 11-16-2017, 06:53 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuzne
There are no warning lights on so I’m not sure if that means no codes or not. I’ve only had her a week and I’m eager to start driving it. Thinking of changing o2 sensors and already ordered a opti and water pump. Thanks for any advice
Congrats on your Vette and I know the feeling of wanting to take her out for a ride!

I'm confused by your post where you say it misses on acceleration but is smooth as can be?

When you bought the car, was it running on all 8 cylinders?

If you used starter fluid to get her going you may have a fuel pressure issue or a injector(s) going wonky. Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:23 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you by chance hose down the engine compartment? or possibly the previous owner..
Old 11-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The basic checks we will ask for,
CEL- any codes
Fuel pressure?
are you getting spark and are you 1000% sure the plugs are in the right order and fully seated. The boot for the optispark are a real pain to get in if your not experienced. They don't line up with each other making it easy to misjudge, I did this when working on my LT1 firebird.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuzne
I found some bad vacuum lines and replaced a few after resetting the security and got the car to start today after a shot if starting fluid. It started fine a few times after that but after setting an hour it was acting up again. It sounds like the timing is off and coughs out of the breather but finally got it running again and drive it. It’s still missing while accelerating but other than that , it’s smooth as can be. There are no warning lights on so I’m not sure if that means no codes or not. I’ve only had her a week and I’m eager to start driving it. Thinking of changing o2 sensors and already ordered a opti and water pump. Thanks for any advice
How many miles? Noid lights, fuel pressure test, and spark check.

My money is on the notorious Optispark. Which one did you decide to buy?

Get notified of new replies

To 93 cranks over but won’t start

Quick Reply: 93 cranks over but won’t start