C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help/advice needed with an extensive electrical gremlin on a 95

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 AM
egludwig
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/advice needed with an extensive electrical gremlin on a 95

So here is the back story. I recently purchased a 95 C4 that had been sitting neglected for a few years in a basement with relatively low miles on it (40k) that needed some work. After getting the major issue of the 4L60 transmission fixed & shifting again, I drove the car for a few days with no issues and found the exterior lighting to be quite "lacking" to put it plainly. I decided to install new bulbs in hopes of rectifing some of the night time sight difficulties.

I was in the process of changing out the fog light bulbs & went to test them out before I closed the access doors I turned on the switch, the lights lit up for less than a second & then went out along with darn near everything else. My gauge cluster is now dead, except for the "Check Gauges" stays on. The climate control center won't respond to any command, even though the blower motor stays running. The stereo will not come on either or respond either. When I remove the key from the ignition cylinder a "clicking" sound comes from the passenger side of the dash. The interior light no longer work, basically the entire car seems "dead". Now if I disconnect the battery for & then reconnect it after some time, all electrical systems will seem to work fine (interior lights, door dinger, hazard lights, door locks, etc.) for approx. a minute, or shorter if I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "On" position.

I am dumbfounded by what could be causing this widespread issue. I have checked every single of the maxi fuses under the hood as well as all of the mini fuses located in the fuse panel by the passengers door. All are in good condition, I even went as far as to do a continuity test on each fuse, just in case it was broken that I couldn't see.
Any advice or ideas as to what could be causing me such widespread issues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by egludwig; 11-16-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:50 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

It sounds like your battery is bad.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Do you have factory manuals? Corrosion on primary battery connections. Check for codes they may help find where to look.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM
egludwig
6th Gear

I removed the battery & brought it in to work & load tested it and it tests good. I also checked both terminals on the cable ends & they are both clean & free of corrosion & rust. I'm going to try & post a link to the video I took last night when I got home from work & reinstalled the battery.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by egludwig
I removed the battery & brought it in to work & load tested it and it tests good. I also checked both terminals on the cable ends & they are both clean & free of corrosion & rust. I'm going to try & post a link to the video I took last night when I got home from work & reinstalled the battery.
Yeah love the video idea. How did you test the battery? Hopefully an actual carbon pile load test ....
Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM
egludwig
6th Gear

Let's see is if this link works.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuKLmrlNVRKbhsxA3hx4_IRqbYN6fA
Old 11-16-2017, 12:20 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Yep it worked.

I'm still thinking you have a bad connection somewhere close to the battery. Meaning, before power distribution branches out to the very many circuits in the car and not necessarily physically close to the battery even though it probably is.
I would start by verifying both battery cables are ok and that the connections at the junction block mounted on the wheel well are ok and at the starter.
It seems to me that loading the circuits by turning the key is causing them to fail. Typically that is a connection issue, but lets face it, your video isn't that great so its kind of hard to tell...
Old 11-16-2017, 12:21 PM
egludwig
6th Gear

I used the AutoMeter DDC-2010 (it is equivalent to the AutoMeter XTC-160 unit that they sell) charging/load testing unit we have at work.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I used the AutoMeter DDC-2010 (it is equivalent to the AutoMeter XTC-160 unit that they sell) charging/load testing unit we have at work.
Yeah I don't know what that is. If you have a voltmeter then connect it to the battery and hit the key, then post what the voltage dropped down to if at all.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:51 PM
egludwig
6th Gear

Yeah, sorry about the quality of the video, it was taken about 6pm, & with daylight savings, it is getting too dark to early to do much work. I'll double check all of the battery cables & connections again & go from there.

Last edited by egludwig; 11-16-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:11 PM
egludwig
6th Gear

PROBLEM SOLVED

So one of my newer neighbors came over when he saw me in the driveway with the hood up & asked what I was working on. I gave him a rundown & he told he would be right back, he came back with both book 1 & 2 of the Dealer Service Manuals. We dug through the wiring diagrams & grounding points diagram & found that the ground wires for the fog light circuit on the drivers side was not completely tightened down all the way, & the one on the passenger side was bad (no continuity). I found the break on the passenger side ground & spliced in a new ground wire cleaned the location & tightened it down as well as cleaning & tightening down the drivers side ground. Reconnected the battery, put the key in the ignition she started right up with no issues.

The only thing that I could come up with was that since the fog light system is on the Courtesy fuse that maybe those systems may have been back feeding through the rest of the wiring harness searching for a suitable ground & just completely confused the car. No clue as to what else would cause such a widespread issue.

On top of that my neighbor told me to keep the manuals since he had sold his 95 a few years back and had no plans of purchasing another.
Thanks everyone for your help & suggestions, & to great neighbors. I'll have to make sure I bring him home some local beer from Wisconsin after my vacation next week.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

PROBLEM SOLVED
The only thing that I could come up with was that since the fog light system is on the Courtesy fuse that maybe those systems may have been back feeding through the rest of the wiring harness searching for a suitable ground & just completely confused the car. No clue as to what else would cause such a widespread issue.

On top of that my neighbor told me to keep the manuals since he had sold his 95 a few years back and had no plans of purchasing another.
Thanks everyone for your help & suggestions, & to great neighbors. I'll have to make sure I bring him home some local beer from Wisconsin after my vacation next week.
That's great news !
Lots of goofy unpredictable things happen when ground circuits are screwed up.
Free service manuals is a sweet deal...

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 11-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

That's weird but very interesting. Something to keep in the back (way back) of my mind if something similar comes up.
Thanks for sharing and hopefully this will be extent of your problems going forward!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Help/advice needed with an extensive electrical gremlin on a 95

Quick Reply: Help/advice needed with an extensive electrical gremlin on a 95