Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone end up with the wrong build sheet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Default Anyone end up with the wrong build sheet?

Just a question really. A few years ago I pulled the build sheet off my fuel tank to see what the car was optioned out with as my rpo sticker was nowhere to be found. Long story short my car is a two tone bronze brown, z51, auto, solid top... and the list goes on. In other words not my car. So I look at the vin and it matched until the last digit which was one off. I've heard of tanks being replaced and having the wrong sheet but I kind of believe that this is more of a factory mess up. I ordered the real sheet from the corvette museum and found out the car was optioned as I thought it was. I just was curious if anyone heard of this happening or had it happen to them. I was actually surprised it came off in more or less one piece. Other car was deluvered half way across the country according to the sheet so I doubt it made it's way here to NJ...
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the last number of the VIN being one number off, it's likely that the two cars were together (or within one or two cars) as the went down the assembly line. Wonder if the line workers who were responsible for installing the gas tanks might have simply grabbed the wrong tank?

Maybe the tanks themselves were not in the correct order when the workers grabbed a tank and installed it? Or the sheets themselves were not in order before they were attached to the tanks? I would think that the tank and build sheet would be verified with the other documents on the chassis prior to the install. This might be worth a call to the NCM and ask if they could shed some light on your concerns. Hard to say when the build sheet would get attached to the tank. Most likely before the body and frame were "married".

Last edited by c4cruiser; 11-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

**** happens - get over it - move on!!!

OR MAYBE

try fetching the sheet from the front suspension member!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:18 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Just a question really. A few years ago I pulled the build sheet off my fuel tank to see what the car was optioned out with as my rpo sticker was nowhere to be found. Long story short my car is a two tone bronze brown, z51, auto, solid top ... and the list goes on. In other words not my car. So I look at the vin and it matched until the last digit which was one off. I've heard of tanks being replaced and having the wrong sheet but I kind of believe that this is more of a factory mess up. I ordered the real sheet from the corvette museum and found out the car was optioned as I thought it was. I just was curious if anyone heard of this happening or had it happen to them. I was actually surprised it came off in more or less one piece. Other car was deluvered half way across the country according to the sheet so I doubt it made it's way here to NJ ...
The NCRS has documented cases of mis-matched build sheets from 1967 through the early C5 years. Luckily, for our Bowling Green-built cars it is an easily available fix. It is much more challenging for the older cars.

Last edited by j3studio; 11-17-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:26 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
With the last number of the VIN being one number off, it's likely that the two cars were together (or within one or two cars) as the went down the assembly line. Wonder if the line workers who were responsible for installing the gas tanks might have simply grabbed the wrong tank?

Maybe the tanks themselves were not in the correct order when the workers grabbed a tank and installed it? Or the sheets themselves were not in order before they were attached to the tanks? I would think that the tank and build sheet would be verified with the other documents on the chassis prior to the install. This might be worth a call to the NCM and ask if they could shed some light on your concerns. Hard to say when the build sheet would get attached to the tank. Most likely before the body and frame were "married".
Kind of what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by WVZR-1
**** happens - get over it - move on!!!

OR MAYBE

try fetching the sheet from the front suspension member!!
I moved on a long time ago lol. Just crossed my mind. Curiosity gets the better of me. And I thought the front cross member sheet was for the later c4s?
Originally Posted by j3studio
The NCRS has documented cases of mis-matched build sheets from 1967 through the early C5 years. Luckily, for our Bowling Green-built cars it is an easily available fix. It is much more challenging for the older cars.
Yea. I had my actual sheet in like 3 days.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I'd be curious as to whether the "hidden" frame VIN stampings match the correct VIN. IIRC, one of them is on the RH side behind the rear inner wheelhouse panel. You have to remove the plastic panel to see it. And are components like springs, shocks, a-arms (Z51 has a stamp in the bottom just inboard of the ball joint) correct for YOUR build? Or are they correct for the car on the sheet?

I'm convinced that the tank copy was attached to the tank to identify the entire frame/chassis/suspension/etc as it moved along the line prior to body-drop, NOT to identify the car the tank was to go into. I suspect the sticker was attached to the tank fairly late in the frame's assembly process. These copies were used by sub-assembly lines to build the sub-components as required prior to installation on the main line. The front crossmember assembly would have variables like spring rate, control arm bushing durometer (Z51) and perhaps sway bar diameter and shock absorber selection (if these were on the crossmember sub assembly. I have no idea if they were). Once built, the copy was put with the assembly to identify it for the individual car it was built for if needed, prior to installation. Like on Monday morning after a weekend shut-down for example.

The 84 was built at a rate of about 1,000 units a week with one 8-hour shift. That's a car every two minutes. Because I think the sheet was attached to the sub-assembly after it was mostly assembled, the guy doing the gluing for the stickers to the tanks probably did several cars/sheets at a time, and mixed two of them up. I'd still be curious if your chassis content and hidden VIN matches your VIN, or the VIN on the sticker. If the content is correct for YOUR car, the glue-guy mixed the sheets up.
the vin on the door sticker (weight, tire pressure, etc.) matches the windshield. I'd bet it was a mix up.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Not on the Vette, but my 68 Caprice had two build sheets under the rear seat. One was correct for the car, the other was one sequence # off.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah my build sheet says the car has an L-98 but it has an LS1...weird.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:44 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
wonder how gm managed that one.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
Oh, that's just showing off ...

Old 11-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Monday hangovers mess a lot of things up..... Funny story though.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Palanon
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting thread.
A wise old sage once told me when I was a young whipper snapper, "if at all possible, never buy the first year of a new model and stay clear of any vehicle built on a Monday or Friday."
Old 11-22-2017, 10:53 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

C4 build sheet...

Most are concerned with keeping them out of the scrap yard now days let alone being concerned with build sheets.

ZR1, GS, Callaway. Build sheets can matter. IMO.

If the Earth is not nuked by 2084 a c4 build might matter to someone.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:24 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
And some are concerned with figuring things out, learning stuff, and perhaps even being helpful in answering the OP's question. Not just posting to be a dick-smoker troll.
Say that with your real / primary account wise guy

Also I like your posts on this thread too. A lot of guess work, and theoretical. What is to figure out? Old cars get parts replaced and swapped. If we were talking about a 100 mile car this might be a real subject to consider.

Maybe you'd get more respect using your "other" account.

Also... that kind of name calling... real productive and helpful to his thread.

Don't feed the troll then, right?

PM me some names you'd like to call me. I think that will get more entertaining. maybe we can even start to skype?

Last edited by pologreen1; 11-22-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Actually, I found the post interesting. Maybe if you dont you should just not post a reply. It only makes you look like an a$$hole.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:01 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pologreen1
C4 build sheet...

Most are concerned with keeping them out of the scrap yard now days let alone being concerned with build sheets.

ZR1, GS, Callaway. Build sheets can matter. IMO.

If the Earth is not nuked by 2084 a c4 build might matter to someone.
Originally Posted by Dt86
Actually, I found the post interesting. Maybe if you dont you should just not post a reply. It only makes you look like an a$$hole.

This above post makes me look like an a$$hole on a discussion board?

I have seen similar posts out of you basically complaining or not liking other people's post and making them seem not important or even be little them because they said something silly, or not on par with your thoughts. That sounds like more of an a$$hole than me making a blanket statement about 30+ years old irrelevant cars.

These cars carry no value other than sentimental at this point, nothing too serious to get worked up over, and the facts are what I pointed out in my last 2 posts here.

Making things personal is an "A$$hole" move, not statements about material things of no value and observations about them.

Either way Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Then why are you even here??

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone end up with the wrong build sheet?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:46 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dt86
Then why are you even here??
I assume like most here I own the irrelevant old car I was referring to, soooo...

Why are you here on a public forum discussing "these" cars if you can't handle the facts being pointed out about them in jest or or otherwise?

Seems like I am on here for what the forum is... Help if I can when I can, and the rest is entertainment or meeting people which I have have met some amazing people off this forum.

Cars like this are a hobby for people, people are the main factor in all this.

Also; BTW I'll point out some of the main guys that are labeled as loud mouths, A holes etc, are actually some of the best contributors, and have done or know about the C4 more than most here.

I have also met some out side the Forum and cruised, etc and these people are nothing like how they are judged for their comments here.

My only concern about any of this dialog is WHY do people get so bent over a material item and let the item define them?

Okay, I can see if someone came from another generation that never had a c4 and said how junk these are or whatever, but most people here talk about them and sometimes it is just joking about it.

I'm not here hating on c4's, I'm not here hating on people, EVEN the trolls I'll feed I am here because at this point I choose to have a C4.

I have had several people stop me,pedestrians walk in the street, or shout from the side walks and or thumbs up me about my car. I'd say I have probably inspired people to like, consider, or get c4's.

That is why I am here.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:38 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Didn't realize what I had started, sorry guys. Didn't mean to make everyone jump on each other just curious if it happened to anyone is all.

The only reason I was looking was because when I was ordering shocks, I wanted to make sure I got the right ones. People said different sized rims for z51 cars and all 84s got the same rims so that was a wash. Steering ratio indicated it wasn't. Car was pretty much factory original when we got it and still is mostly. Only thing that was touched was the instrument cluster back in 87, it had the sticker on the back of it when I rebuilt it. I knew a lot of the history on the car and for the most part it was a DD. The previous owner was a corvette guru and took good care of it while he had it in fixing nuances with the system. But with it getting to that 100k I think I should replace the bushings on it as they are also circa 1984. The rubber is disintegrating from them but the car drives well. Again sorry.

The car has only sentemential value to me. It's how I learned stick and the first top end I ever tore into. Other than that I just wanted to see what was what on it.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Didn't realize what I had started, sorry guys. Didn't mean to make everyone jump on each other just curious if it happened to anyone is all.

The only reason I was looking was because when I was ordering shocks, I wanted to make sure I got the right ones. People said different sized rims for z51 cars and all 84s got the same rims so that was a wash. Steering ratio indicated it wasn't. Car was pretty much factory original when we got it and still is mostly. Only thing that was touched was the instrument cluster back in 87, it had the sticker on the back of it when I rebuilt it. I knew a lot of the history on the car and for the most part it was a DD. The previous owner was a corvette guru and took good care of it while he had it in fixing nuances with the system. But with it getting to that 100k I think I should replace the bushings on it as they are also circa 1984. The rubber is disintegrating from them but the car drives well. Again sorry.

The car has only sentemential value to me. It's how I learned stick and the first top end I ever tore into. Other than that I just wanted to see what was what on it.
And so it is to be a Corvette Forum OP. You never know how "low" things will get and how far off topic it might go.

Quick Reply: Anyone end up with the wrong build sheet?