C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Futher Muck!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Futher Muck!

It's time to renew the tags on my '91. Had an exhaust leak fixed over the weekend, and today I put some interior lower trim panels back on, checked all the lights--headlights, fog lights, brights, turn signals, brakes, went around and checked all the marker lights and even the rear license plate light (been nabbed on that one before). Took the car to the car wash and cleaned up the outside some. I've got all my paperwork, everything is in order and I head to the DMV for inspection, about a 12 mile drive. About 2 miles before getting there I go to change lanes and attempt to signal... the lever flops around and there's no "click" and no turn signal!

I eff around with it a little. Okay, the left one still works. I eff around with it a little more and now the left one is on and the lever flops around and won't shut off the left signal now.

Literally, two freaking miles from the inspection. I turned off and came back home and now am pulling apart the steering column.

I swear, I get one thing taken care of and something completely different ***** the bed on this car.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You need to disassemble top of column to turn signal switch. Several possibilities just need to see what is wrong.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Sell it and cut your losses quick....
Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Goodluck, glad no inspections in my state!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:45 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

it could be one of the springs on the signal switch but When mine did that I found this:

The broken off piece is what activates the turn signal switch.

The twist is that part is called the windshield wiper switch 90-93 part # 26015119 (ACDELCO D6395C) and it's around $200 new from dealer around $140 from rock auto.

Last edited by belairbrian; 11-20-2017 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Space387 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by belairbrian
it could be one of the springs on the signal switch but When mine did that I found this:

The broken off piece is what activates the turn signal switch.

The twist is that part is called the windshield wiper switch 90-93 part # 26015119 (ACDELCO D6395C) and it's around $200 new from dealer around $140 from rock auto.
That is exactly what it is! I got it apart today but then had to move on to other tasks so I'm just starting to look for it. Thanks! I think you just saved me a ton of research.

FSM calls it "Switch ASM, Pivot & (Pulse)"... no wonder I couldn't find it, using that terminology.

Last edited by Cyclonite; 11-21-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:26 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Changing this is a true joy. The cables run through and under the column to near the brake pedal. your going to end up taking pretty much everything out.

Here's an exploded diagram of the column. https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...category=19570

part 21 can fall out since nothing really holds it in. I used a tiny dab of axle grease to stick it in place while reassembling.

While I was that far in, I re-locked the tilt mechanism mount bolts that come loose over time and can cause the dreaded wobbly steering wheel.

Tie a piece of strong string to the cables before you pull them out, helps get the new one back down through.

Last edited by belairbrian; 11-22-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Changing this is a true joy. The cables run through and under the column to near the brake pedal. your going to end up taking pretty much everything out.

Here's an exploded diagram of the column. https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...category=19570

part 21 can fall out since nothing really holds it in. I used a tiny dab of axle grease to stick it in place while reassembling.

While I was that far in, I re-locked the tilt mechanism mount bolts that come loose over time and can cause the dreaded wobbly steering wheel.

Tie a piece of strong string to the cables before you pull them out, helps get the new one back down through.
Thanks,
I've already got it apart. It's not the first time either. I think shortly after I got the car the turn signal switch broke, so although it's been a while, I've had the pleasure of digging through a lot of this before. I will however take a look at the tilt mechanism while I'm at it.

I hate working in/under the dash...

Get notified of new replies

To Futher Muck!

Quick Reply: Futher Muck!