C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking at 90 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
How desirable are convertibles vs. targas? I already know automatics arent very desirable which works in my favor.. but wondering about the two body types.

Well, when they were new, automatics outsold the stick shifts.
The following users liked this post:
barchetta1 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I went and test drove this car because it was a easy way for me to test drive a vette since Ive never driven one.

The car was not as described to me over the phone. Was in very rough shape.. lots of issues as far as I could tell. Lets of shaking goin on under acceleration. Brake pedal went very far down.. not sure if this is normal for these cars... but didnt give me much confidence in braking. And felt relatively spongy. AC didnt work. And even though I specifically asked him if it was a respray, it was a respray.. and I think it went from black to a metallic gray of some sort.

Power seemed good.. I mean, I couldnt break the rear end lose, but seemed to be about 250 hp or so.. and it shifted well.. dash was severely warped above glove box.. drivers mirror didnt work, hood stay was laying disconnectd in the engine compartment. Lots of wires disconnected under the hood recently.. Headlights popped up fine. I didnt even get out and do a walk around to check the lights.. but over all, I would say it was a $4000 car to a millenial with $4k to burn.. and a lust for a vette.

$2500 to me.

Anyway.. I did like how a vette feels.. I like the seating position and I like how the steering "feels".. Im picky about brakes because my daily is a BMW and always has been so I will likely never be happy with the brakes.

Next....
I don't know about Black Magic Women but I'm guessing that the very least is it needs brakes bled and new hoses. It is $4000 to a moron with money to burn. For me, no working AC means a total AC replacement since we have no way or knowing what is broke. All in all, $1000 take it or leave it back in 04 when I got one. Today, a $1000 payment from you and I will drive it off your lot.
barchetta1 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't know about Black Magic Women but I'm guessing that the very least is it needs brakes bled and new hoses. It is $4000 to a moron with money to burn. For me, no working AC means a total AC replacement since we have no way or knowing what is broke. All in all, $1000 take it or leave it back in 04 when I got one. Today, a $1000 payment from you and I will drive it off your lot.

Clearly the car was not been maintained over the years. I wouldn't buy it period.
barchetta1 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:12 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Could I get some opinions on this one please? Been conversing with owner and apparently it is in very nice shape. Apparently.. with this many miles.. what should I look for? leaky seals?

1996 Chevrolet Collectors Edition Corvette. 1 of 4031 Collector Edition coupes produced.
Collector Edition (Z15) Special edition Corvette body package.
The Special Edition Corvette, included a special Sebring Silver paint color, P255/45ZR17 front and P285/40ZR17 rear tires, 5-spoke wheels painted silver with matching special "collector edition" wheel cap centers, "NEW" perforated gray leather interior sport seats accentuated with "Collector Edition" embroidery from Corvette America and "NEW" Collector Edition floor mats, black brake calipers with "Corvette" lettering, and a special trim package featuring chrome "Collector Edition" badges. The 1996 Collector Edition Corvette was solely designed to help honor the end of the C4 era.
This Collector Edition Corvette came equipped with the 300 HP LT1 engine.

DON'T LET THE MILAGE SCARE YOU, THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL GARAGE KEPT, WELL MAINTAINED VETTE. MAKE ME AN OFFER I CAN'T REFUSE.
Don't know why you newbies to the forum are so scared to put down your location. It would help when you ask for help fixing something and someone nearby has tools.

If I were in the market, that LOOKS clean from the pictures and would probably offer him $7000 assuming mroe than 100K on the clock. Maybe a little more if the tires are new, ASSUMING it passes a PDI.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:13 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Clearly the car was not been maintained over the years. I wouldn't buy it period.

I have no intention of buying it.. I was just sharing my first virgin experience

I have to say.. I love the feel of the car.. it just felt "right".. excited to get "mine".
Old 12-02-2017, 06:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I have no intention of buying it.. I was just sharing my first virgin experience

I have to say.. I love the feel of the car.. it just felt "right".. excited to get "mine".
Just as you wouldn't propose to the girl the morning after the first booty call, I sure as hell won't buy the first car that comes along. Definitely NOT without a PDI.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:17 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Don't know why you newbies to the forum are so scared to put down your location. It would help when you ask for help fixing something and someone nearby has tools.

If I were in the market, that LOOKS clean from the pictures and would probably offer him $7000 assuming mroe than 100K on the clock. Maybe a little more if the tires are new, ASSUMING it passes a PDI.

Im in South Carolina.

thanks..

What I have found out it has new seat covers from corvette america.

I guess he just had the throttle body replaced to fix and error code.. which means, he is going to add that and the seat covers and going to be stubborn on his price..

I did find out owner 2 and 3 are neighbors. He is #4 and bought it to "help out a friend".

#2 had it for quite some time, always garaged.

EDIT: this is for the 96 silver I just posted.

Last edited by barchetta1; 12-02-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:18 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Just as you wouldn't propose to the girl the morning after the first booty call, I sure as hell won't buy the first car that comes along. Definitely NOT without a PDI.
I meant the vette.. not that car.. no interest in that car... but she got my cherry.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:22 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

These are old. When you buy one and nothing is wrong or you think you know what is wrong won't matter, your determination to keep one going will.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

I was there last December, ended up purchasing a 92 by word of mouth and a few references. The car never hit any advertising. It was strictly a private sale. I'm now working on a 97 that has about 20,000 miles and sits in a heated garage. It's not for sale, yet!

Otherwise, when the time comes, I think this place is a good resource, as long as the seller didn't join just to move a car.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pologreen1
These are old. When you buy one and nothing is wrong or you think you know what is wrong won't matter, your determination to keep one going will.

LOL - I had to replace a transaxle u-joint within one month after buying my 'mint' 92.
barchetta1 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

What I have found out it has new seat covers from corvette america.

I guess he just had the throttle body replaced to fix and error code.. which means, he is going to add that and the seat covers and going to be stubborn on his price..

I did find out owner 2 and 3 are neighbors. He is #4 and bought it to "help out a friend".

#2 had it for quite some time, always garaged.
Covers or the foam cushion and cover?

Replace the TB to fix what error code?

Hey, you want to help out your neighbor, go for it. As people always tell me "I bought this for $X". Don't tell me your problems. This is what it is worth and this is my limit.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

For the right price, sure. For the wrong price, my will to hold on to my money will win out. I'm not in love with my cars. I may bang them like a storm door in a hurricane but not marrying them.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
LOL - I had to replace a transaxle u-joint within one month after buying my 'mint' 92.
If you did a PDI, there is nothing more you can do short of tearing the car apart down to the last bolt. It is the risk of buying used products which is why they are cheaper. Still, I would always recommend doing one's due diligence.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Covers or the foam cushion and cover?

Replace the TB to fix what error code?

Hey, you want to help out your neighbor, go for it. As people always tell me "I bought this for $X". Don't tell me your problems. This is what it is worth and this is my limit.
I dont know and I dont know.. here is a photo of the seat, probably wont help you.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2017, 06:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I dont know and I dont know.. here is a photo of the seat, probably wont help you.
Does he have a receipt or a way to get a "past orders" list from Corvette America? If not, check for how bouncy they are or if they have butt prints.
barchetta1 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Does he have a receipt or a way to get a "past orders" list from Corvette America? If not, check for how bouncy they are or if they have butt prints.

Will do, he is an hour away, but right now Id like to get out of the house for a week actually.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at 90 convertible

Old 12-02-2017, 09:20 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

For the right price, sure. For the wrong price, my will to hold on to my money will win out. I'm not in love with my cars. I may bang them like a storm door in a hurricane but not marrying them.

I think some will be overwhelmed easily by these when things go wrong. You OTOH are interested in learning and being technical with it or tweaking it.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Will do, he is an hour away, but right now Id like to get out of the house for a week actually.
Email works.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I think some will be overwhelmed easily by these when things go wrong. You OTOH are interested in learning and being technical with it or tweaking it.
I'm also interested in NOT spending big bucks and much time in sorting out someone's abortion they created.

Quick Reply: Looking at 90 convertible