Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weatherstrips: Wilcox vs SteeleRubber

Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Default Weatherstrips: Wilcox vs SteeleRubber

For my 91, I think I am going to change the weatherstrips. It is almost double for SteeleRubber. I have heard a few bad things about Wilcox and there are not too many comments either way for SteeleRubber.

With Wilcox, the few bad comments doesn't present a problem since every business has a couple of bad items. IOW, NOBODY's perfect. As long as the majority are ok, it is probably fine. From what I hear, some vendors use a common supplier so regardless of who you buy it from, it is the same.

SteeleRubber is more expensive and has fewer people try it so it is hard to say. IOW, sample size is kinda small.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

I would go with Wilcox, personally. However, I would shop around on that auction site for real latex b-pillar weatherstripping as Wilcox was out when I ordered and instead substituted a cheaper non CRC brand weatherstrip. The rest you should be good to go.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Went
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I've used both. My Wilcox seals have held up well. I daily drive my Vette. I used Steel Rubber for the hatchback summer before last. It has held up okay.
Can't complain about either. Both Wilcox and Steel Rubber sent me replacement seals. Up on initial inspection one of the seals from Wilcox had a "dent" on a sealing surface and the first one from Steel Rubber (the hatchback seal) had one corner not bonded well. Both sent me replacements and have been working fine since. Three plus years for the Wilcox seals now.

Went

Last edited by Went; 12-06-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I replaced my 96 hatch seal with Willcox. It lasted a few months (the infamous corner seam came apart) with barely any use on my non-DD C4, and following all installation instructions to a Tee. They did send me a one-time courtesy replacements, which I have yet to install. I was thinking of sewing my broken Willcox hatch seal corners with thick thread and 3M windshield adhesive.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Went
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I've just kept the corners of my hatchback seal lubed so the glass slides easily across the rubber. So good so far.

Went
Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dayle97se
I replaced my 96 hatch seal with Willcox. It lasted a few months (the infamous corner seam came apart) with barely any use on my non-DD C4, and following all installation instructions to a Tee. They did send me a one-time courtesy replacements, which I have yet to install. I was thinking of sewing my broken Willcox hatch seal corners with thick thread and 3M windshield adhesive.
This part?

I'm having that question which is why I was curious. Why exactly does it get to be the infamous corner seam? Any idea what causes it or do we have to cure it with sewing?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I would buy the wilcox a and b pillar, steele for the hatch. My a&b from wilcox has been doing fine!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
This part?

I'm having that question which is why I was curious. Why exactly does it get to be the infamous corner seam? Any idea what causes it or do we have to cure it with sewing?
This looks like is at least partially an installation problem.
Next time set the new weather-strip in the sun for an hour, then start in those corners. Stretch the strip in the centers and force it toward the corners during the install. I don't know what the manufacturer says but that's how I would handle it.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a hatch piece from Steele - IMHO it's not worth the price premium over what was available from the regular vendors. The new piece from Willcox/Corvette America is supposed to be a new and improved design. Last I read, the C4 weatherstripping from Steele is actually made by Metro.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

I know RUU had a problem with Steel rubber but mine was and is perfect. If you deal will steel I recomend you call the order and tell them it is very important that it fits properly or you will send it back for a full refund. When I ordered mine they approved that. Have had zero problems. (hope I didn't jinx myself saying that)
Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Willcox and Corvette Central (among others?) now sell the redesigned hatch weatherstrip. Over a year on my '96. Very pleased.
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Weatherstrip

I am not trying to steal this thread but no mention was made about Type and company choice for Windshield Weatherstrip (front top over windshield and down the A-pillars)
Do these two Companies sell these? Which ones are the preferred choice? Latex, Domestic, Foam etc. ?
Thanks
Barrier
Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dayle97se
I realize you have used windshield adhesive.....Try this on the corners......I did and lasted many years. Use black windshield adhesive to fill in gaps....make adhesive even and don't over fill...then lay a piece of kitchen clear wrap over area and close hatch. The final step I'm not so sure about as it was 15 years ago.....I believe I waited until almost completely dry and removed wrap...and left hatch open to completely dry. Even if wrap is left on and sticks the edges of wrap can be cut away easily. I used this same method on the passenger side window where part of the weather-stripping was "chipped"....worked like a charm and very difficult to detect.

SAVE THE WAVE

Last edited by vetteman42; 12-07-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:03 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

I am not crazy about the moulded corners. But check first the ones they shipped RUU looked bad.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrier
I am not trying to steal this thread but no mention was made about Type and company choice for Windshield Weatherstrip (front top over windshield and down the A-pillars)
Do these two Companies sell these? Which ones are the preferred choice? Latex, Domestic, Foam etc. ?
Thanks
Barrier
Old 12-09-2017, 11:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Supposedly there is a new one made from latex on the market. Any good?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Supposedly there is a new one made from latex on the market. Any good?

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrips: Wilcox vs SteeleRubber

Old 12-10-2017, 11:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Anything that I should AVOID?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Weatherstrip

Thanks for starting this thread aklim!
I am waiting for all answers as well.
Barrier
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
This looks like is at least partially an installation problem.
Next time set the new weather-strip in the sun for an hour, then start in those corners. Stretch the strip in the centers and force it toward the corners during the install. I don't know what the manufacturer says but that's how I would handle it.
Yes good advise that's what I did let it get good and warm/pliable.... BUT.....

Before you begin measure the hatch weather strip with a seamstress's measuring tape to make sure it's not to short. I went with Wilcox (Corvette Rubber) and my first piece was too short and didn't measure up to their specs so I called them and sent it back. They had no issues with that at all and sent me a new one that was the proper length.

Your not supposed to start in the corners, proper installation instructions will tell you to find the centerline of the hatch right behind the removable targa top and mark it with a grease pencil. Then find the center of the new sun baked rear hatch weatherstrip with a seamstress's measuring tape, mark it, and start your install at that center point working it down into the corners by stretching it slightly if you need too, to get it seated all the way into the corners. I can't stress this enough do this on a hot day and lay the weatherstrip on the metal hood of a car for at least an hour to get it nice and warm.

When you remove the old hatch weatherstrip, if it's the original you'll find lots of white grease on it, and in the channel it sits in.(Around the lower portion of the hatch where the glass meets the quarter panels) Do not wipe away this factory grease. The weatherstrip is designed to float in the channel. You should transfer as much of that OEM applied white grease to the new hatch weatherstrip as you can, most of it will stay in the channel where you want it to allow the new weatherstrip to move in the mounting channel with temp. changes and hatch opening and closings. BTW I think the Corvette Rubber made (Sold by Wilcox) rear hatch weatherstrip now is made with completely molded instead of glued corners to help keep those corners together and stand up to repeated hatch opening and closings without splitting.

One last thing after you get it installed all the way around and all the way into the corners lube those outside corners that touch the glass with silicone grease and carefully close the glass hatch.
Let it sit for a week closed. Open it and lube some more. It's been several years and my Wilcox rear hatch strip has held up fine!

These guys sell Corvette Rubber Weatherstripping
https://willcoxcorvette.com/parts?ca...c_part_year=39

It's manufactured by these guys
https://www.mmri-crc.com/

Last edited by mako41; 12-11-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weatherstrips: Wilcox vs SteeleRubber