C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power steering pump?

i just installed a new power steering pump a month ago. In the last couple of weeks it has started to make noise again. The pump whines when it’s cold but does seem to lessen and go away after the engine warms up to operating temperature. It’s not losing fluid. Just wondering if i need to bite the bullet and swap for another one. I hate to think that’s the solution as it’s a bit**. Am i missing something, could there be another easier fix?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

What fluid are you using? I had that issue and switched over to dextron III, the cold noise went away.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatorlaw
i just installed a new power steering pump a month ago. In the last couple of weeks it has started to make noise again. < snip >
. Am i missing something, could there be another easier fix?
Did you bleed it?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Your pump came from who? You mention new but for most C4 applications that's not an option.

GM ColdClimate has quieted every pump I ever had issues with IF IT WASN'T A BAD PUMP!!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

FWIW, I've had noise issues with a couple C4 PS pumps - mostly, both my 90's. this stuff seem to work for me, and definitely made a difference -

Old 12-14-2017, 10:36 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

100% Lucas PS fluid is very good.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:43 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joe C
FWIW, I've had noise issues with a couple C4 PS pumps - mostly, both my 90's. this stuff seem to work for me, and definitely made a difference -
Originally Posted by 81c3
100% Lucas PS fluid is very good.
The OP mentioned NEW PUMP - why would you throw additives at it! GM ColdClimate isn't an additive but is meant for continued usage.

It's certainly a pain in the a$$ to do the pump again but I'd have a conversation with the vendor before I did a thing. Depending on the vendor a conversation can get you the part and also a labor reimbursement for the work.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-14-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The OP mentioned NEW PUMP - why would you throw additives at it! GM ColdClimate isn't an additive but is meant for continued usage.

It's certainly a pain in the a$$ to do the pump again but I'd have a conversation with the vendor before I did a thing. Depending on the vendor a conversation can get you the part and also a labor reimbursement for the work.
why not? do you think it's going to hurt anything? OP said a "new" pump, but is it really new or is it rebuilt or remanufactured? as you said in a previous post "You mention new but for most C4 applications that's not an option, and , not sure "new" is readily available for the C4 anymore. so, the OP installed a new, rebuilt, remanufactured, or whatever, and a month later, it started making noise. so why do you think there's issues with lucas PS fluid with conditioners??? it's a fine product and worth a try before tearing things apart a second time. all I said in my post was I used it on a couple 90's with noisy pumps, and I had definite improvements with the lucas product. it was nothing more than a suggestion based on personal experience. lucas PS fluid w/ conditioners is not going to hurt a friggin thing.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

why not? do you think it's going to hurt anything? OP said a "new" pump, but is it really new or is it rebuilt or remanufactured? as you said in a previous post "You mention new but for most C4 applications that's not an option, and , not sure "new" is readily available for the C4 anymore. so, the OP installed a new, rebuilt, remanufactured, or whatever, and a month later, it started making noise. so why do you think there's issues with lucas PS fluid with conditioners??? it's a fine product and worth a try before tearing things apart a second time. all I said in my post was I used it on a couple 90's with noisy pumps, and I had definite improvements with the lucas product. it was nothing more than a suggestion based on personal experience. lucas PS fluid w/ conditioners is not going to hurt a friggin thing.
Right now it's very likely covered with a warranty of sorts regardless new, reman or rebuilt or used - NEW to him!!!

You have a conversation now then maybe the vendor sticks with you and if it fails in a reasonable amount of time they accommodate you in some fashion. Use the 'CONDITIONER' - extender and it fails in 6 mos the vendor says 'go away'!

That's why!!!

The OP has been here this AM and hasn't bothered to post back so yours, mine and anyone else's thoughts are maybe irrelevant anyway!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-14-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Right now it's very likely covered with a warranty of sorts regardless new, reman or rebuilt or used - NEW to him!!!

You have a conversation now then maybe the vendor sticks with you and if it fails in a reasonable amount of time they accommodate you in some fashion. Use the 'CONDITIONER' - extender and it fails in 6 mos the vendor says 'go away'!

That's why!!!

The OP has been here this AM and hasn't bothered to post back so yours, mine and anyone else's thoughts are maybe irrelevant anyway!
come on now, that's nonsense. maybe lucas should put a warning label on the bottle "caution the use of this product may void your warranty."

Last edited by Joe C; 12-14-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:56 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

come on now, that's nonsense. maybe lucas should put a warning label on the bottle "caution the use of this product may void your warranty."
I would be willing to bet that Lucas has put in the time to figure out that warranties wont be voided by the use of their products....
Old 12-14-2017, 05:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Has nothing to do with the product - add it and keep your mouth shut, then after a reasonable amount of time and it's beyond warranty, still noisy or fails the vendor says go away, mention it now and the vendor hands you, sells you or suggests the conditioner you're good!

Nothing to do with the conditioner - it's CYA for the pump you've bought and are concerned about the operation!

You buy a part or piece of equipment, you're concerned about operation, you don't throw additives at it - you talk to the guy that sold you the part or the equipment!! Granted it's assumed you've installed the part or are using the equipment as intended! OP feels he has so you go to the vendor before doing anything!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-14-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:24 PM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

Sorry for not responding earlier. I haven’t had a chance to try anything yet. Work gets in the way. Perhaps i shouldn’t have used the word “new”. I got the part from advance auto. I doubt they will provide any compensation to reinstall a new pump. Pump came with a lifetime warranty. When i first installed he “new” pump it worked great. There was no noise. About two weeks later the noise began. I’m thinking it’s just a bad pump but wasn’t sure if I’d missed something i should try. I’ll try to bleed the pump again and will swap for the Lucas fluid and see what happens. Otherwise i guess i gotta do that job again. It just sucks as that was a pain in the ***, especially that bottom bolt that is behind the pulley.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

If the fluid is dirty then you might have rack issues.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

put a filter in the return (low pressure) hose; a metal bodied fuel filter with the correct size hose barbs works just fine.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

OP - I believe that at 1 month or so the pump might be considered a "defect" and replacement NOT A WARRANTY issue. If you buy from them regularly I wouldn't have trouble speaking to a manager and asking install compensation.

If you use the conditioner and down the road 6 months the pump goes then it's a warranty only for the pump. The pump they give you will have no further warranty. They've done the "limited lifetime". I didn't look at their specific documents but I believe that's the new "limited lifetime" from most retail parts resellers. Once and DONE!!

Right now I'd think they would consider it a defective and a replacement still have the warranty.

I'd ask them - Advance Auto! Not me Joe, John, Jim or his cousin George!! Who does AA remans? Cardone

The filter is a good suggestion in #15. There are specialty filters also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-15-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:31 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gatorlaw
Sorry for not responding earlier. I haven’t had a chance to try anything yet. Work gets in the way. Perhaps i shouldn’t have used the word “new”. I got the part from advance auto. I doubt they will provide any compensation to reinstall a new pump. Pump came with a lifetime warranty. When i first installed he “new” pump it worked great. There was no noise. About two weeks later the noise began. I’m thinking it’s just a bad pump but wasn’t sure if I’d missed something i should try. I’ll try to bleed the pump again and will swap for the Lucas fluid and see what happens. Otherwise i guess i gotta do that job again. It just sucks as that was a pain in the ***, especially that bottom bolt that is behind the pulley.
my 2-cents on the compensation. a friend's son installed a clutch master cylinder in her 93 6-speed - it was a leaker, went back to AA and got a free replacement, installed, and a second leaker. third time - they did provide some (labor) compensation, but i'm thinking they only refunded 30% off the original purchase price. compensation from AA - not much, worth a try.

OP - I believe that at 1 month or so the pump might be considered a "defect" and replacement NOT A WARRANTY issue. If you buy from them regularly I wouldn't have trouble speaking to a manager and asking install compensation.

If you use the conditioner and down the road 6 months the pump goes then it's a warranty only for the pump. The pump they give you will have no further warranty. They've done the "limited lifetime". I didn't look at their specific documents but I believe that's the new "limited lifetime" from most retail parts resellers. Once and DONE!!

Right now I'd think they would consider it a defective and a replacement still have the warranty.

I'd ask them - Advance Auto! Not me Joe, John, Jim or his cousin George!! Who does AA remans? Cardone

The filter is a good suggestion in #15. There are specialty filters also.
WV, for some reason i'm thinking you believe lucas PS fluid w/ conditioners is some sort of snake oil. let's face it, it a top shelf PS fluid that just happens to have a seal conditioner. it's not a stand alone, fly-by-night, "snake oil" conditioner, or some elixir, the OP mixed up in this garage. with those I could see the vendor giving the OP some static about warranties or replacements, but surly not because he used any lucas product. if anything, IMO, I would think the conditioners used in the lucas product would be a benefit whether it was a used, new, or a remanufactured pump. as far as real tech support from AA - good one!!!

Last edited by Joe C; 12-15-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering pump?

Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 AM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

I appreciate the replies and responses. I’m going to try the filter and new fluid. I seriously doubt advanced auto will provide any type of compensation for having to reinstall a non defective pump. Pretty sure labor is excluded in any of their warranty or defective product warranties.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

WV, for some reason i'm thinking you believe lucas PS fluid w/ conditioners is some sort of snake oil.

I never said nor do I believe I implied that!!

OP can do as he likes - his money! At least he bought 'local' so he can discuss it 'toe to toe'. Does he choose NOT TO fine. If the OP feels his install was proper it needs discussed now and NOT after a trial run with additives. It's already a month or so old.

I don't believe I mentioned 'tech support' from AA anywhere!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-15-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:07 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Just to be clear, the picture of the product in NOT an additive... it is in fact power steering fluid with conditioners.... I have used it to completely fill power steering systems....

Quick Reply: Power steering pump?