Old 12-14-2017, 12:49 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Default here is a video of my wife driving my 87 z52 over a rock

deleted.

cheers everybody and merry christmas to all my c4 friends. VT

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 12-17-2017 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Christi@n (12-16-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

Is that the 1A by Canmore?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Dls1dls1
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Friends don't let......

https://youtu.be/MYL75py8Z7U

http://youtu.be/MYL75py8Z7U

This is why Corvette friends don't let their Corvette friends let the wifes drive the Vette !!!

Last edited by Dls1dls1; 12-14-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:13 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

You bet, right by where you were working IIRC. Very close to the rats nest cave staging point.

We were on our way to spend a night at the rimrock after drilling, successfully, 3 oil wells. To my total amazement the car did not light on fire i figured the oil pan was hammered.

we pulled into the pit access off the north side of the highway and we swiftly departed with engine off.

no flames. no explosion so i krept closer and there was no fluid leaking.

called my uncle in canmore who has a canary colored 68 camaro and asked where i could find a lift in town. he takes his classic to s and s custom which was real close.

up on the lift the car was actually pretty good. the rock appeared to grenade into a pekisko limestone explosion upon impact and the real damage was constrained to the k member which pulled the driver side tie rod inward a bit.

I drove it to my uncles place for the night and came back a couple days later with a car trailer and got her home.

I have one of those max jax lifts on order for feb delivery and ill do the job at that time using telescoping stands to support the eingine up whilst swapping a k member which western corvette in calgary is supplying for a relatively steep price imo.
my uncle lent us his 2000 truck and we did spend the night in the hotel, it was overall not a problem. as you can tell from my initial reaction, i was mostly flabbergasted that she would even consider driving over it and made not the slightest attempt to alter her trajectory lol!!

she felt pretty badly but its all good. i had purchased a real roach of an 86 4+3 for 1k and was slowly bringing it back to life. We drive that one now and will get around to fixing this when i have time.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:15 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Most of the women drive like that. They don't look at the road or their surroundings. When I was married, I'd drive next to my ex and she never noticed it was my car. They can only do one thing and drive within 5 feet of anticipation.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:20 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Trying to avoid it might've tested her driving ability and you could've sustained much more damage...

like hitting a deer, hit the brakes and thats it. Plenty of people try to swerve and wind up wrapped around a tree

Last edited by vette196; 12-14-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

You bet, right by where you were working IIRC. Very close to the rats nest cave staging point.

We were on our way to spend a night at the rimrock after drilling, successfully, 3 oil wells. To my total amazement the car did not light on fire i figured the oil pan was hammered.

we pulled into the pit access off the north side of the highway and we swiftly departed with engine off.

no flames. no explosion so i krept closer and there was no fluid leaking.

called my uncle in canmore who has a canary colored 68 camaro and asked where i could find a lift in town. he takes his classic to s and s custom which was real close.

up on the lift the car was actually pretty good. the rock appeared to grenade into a pekisko limestone explosion upon impact and the real damage was constrained to the k member which pulled the driver side tie rod inward a bit.

I drove it to my uncles place for the night and came back a couple days later with a car trailer and got her home.

I have one of those max jax lifts on order for feb delivery and ill do the job at that time using telescoping stands to support the eingine up whilst swapping a k member which western corvette in calgary is supplying for a relatively steep price imo.
my uncle lent us his 2000 truck and we did spend the night in the hotel, it was overall not a problem. as you can tell from my initial reaction, i was mostly flabbergasted that she would even consider driving over it and made not the slightest attempt to alter her trajectory lol!!

she felt pretty badly but its all good. i had purchased a real roach of an 86 4+3 for 1k and was slowly bringing it back to life. We drive that one now and will get around to fixing this when i have time.
You are not alone. Reminds me of the episode of "Tim The Toolman" when Jill blew up the engine on his Nomad. He asked her "Didn't you see the red light on"? She answered "Yes, but I thought if there was a problem, it would get brighter".
Old 12-14-2017, 01:25 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

after the fact, she fully admitted to having seen it well in advance and she figured "id have clearance". she drives a denali xl normally with the kids and i explained even in a truck you avoid thise road hazards as if you clipped a tire or whatever its not worth it. just hit the breaks and drive around it.

in this case the road was wide open sunny day we were only doing about 120kph. about 70mph.

i had just taken the phone off the dash and was looking at how much more stable the image was and i saw this little spec on the screen. had my eyes been up and out i would have the time to instruct her to drive around it.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 12-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:34 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

As long as everyone is ok,its just a car.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Are you for real Viking?
You would have rather she rolled it in the ditch at 70MPH
Does't sound like you saw the rock all that soon either.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:45 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah your right. i totally would have preferred to roll it.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 12-14-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:00 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Are you for real Viking?
You would have rather she rolled it in the ditch at 70MPH
Does't sound like you saw the rock all that soon either.
So let's figure this out. He said at the start of the video he had warned her about rocks on the road. I am quite sure in stating that this is probably not her first time in these mountains. Now, some people here would like to believe these cars are the most intricately handling cars on the planet. They are flatter than **** on a plate and have no problem handling a square corner at a street light at probably twice the speed of the average car. On the video, there is a wide shoulder and tons of room to go around. And it's Vikings fault????
Old 12-14-2017, 06:09 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In my opinion running over that rock totally justifies buying another vette!!!!!!time to upgrade!!!!!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
In my opinion running over that rock totally justifies buying another vette!!!!!!time to upgrade!!!!!
booyah! i like your attitude!we are looking for a zr1 right now actually, for fair weather driving and collection. still a c4 (what can i say i love them)thnx Arb. yeah, she felt bad because she totally could have gone around it but chose not to. she honestly didnt even consider the difference in ride height between the vette and her xl. when we were on our stomachs beside the highway she saw how little clearance there is. the cool part is that she loves to drive! we are enrolled for hpde lessons where take some class time and then get some schooling on the track. ll with an instructor in the car beside. We also have an 89 zf6 z51 fx3 car that we are looking at to turn into a dedicated track car for castrol and out in osoyoos. its cool she is totally into it now. while i was pretty stunned right as the rock event happened we chose to turn it into a learning experience and its enjoyable building a track car with her. she is more than happy to wrench with me, as long as she does NOT get dirty. she mostly passes tools and follows along the shop manual or youtube vids as i try my best to get these jobs done.my oldest daughter is seven and she wants a BAM c4. We are REALLY sold on the c4 platform! cant find more performance per dollar and imo design looks too!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Well that sucks. Something tells me you can afford another corvette. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper than a divorce ...
Old 12-14-2017, 07:31 PM
corvettesa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The terrain in your area is so beautiful.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:45 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

booyah! i like your attitude!we are looking for a zr1 right now actually, for fair weather driving and collection. still a c4 (what can i say i love them)thnx Arb. yeah, she felt bad because she totally could have gone around it but chose not to. she honestly didnt even consider the difference in ride height between the vette and her xl. when we were on our stomachs beside the highway she saw how little clearance there is. the cool part is that she loves to drive! we are enrolled for hpde lessons where take some class time and then get some schooling on the track. ll with an instructor in the car beside. We also have an 89 zf6 z51 fx3 car that we are looking at to turn into a dedicated track car for castrol and out in osoyoos. its cool she is totally into it now. while i was pretty stunned right as the rock event happened we chose to turn it into a learning experience and its enjoyable building a track car with her. she is more than happy to wrench with me, as long as she does NOT get dirty. she mostly passes tools and follows along the shop manual or youtube vids as i try my best to get these jobs done.my oldest daughter is seven and she wants a BAM c4. We are REALLY sold on the c4 platform! cant find more performance per dollar and imo design looks too!
I'm totally a c4 guy also. I always loved the zr-1, the 1990 is my favorite.

Get notified of new replies

To here is a video of my wife driving my 87 z52 over a rock

Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The rock was smack dab in the middle of the road. Tell her next time that happens, floor it right before hitting the rock. The front end will lift and all will be fine. She can practice with some 4x4s if no rocks are handy.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Holmen (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:03 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I hope you get some serious guilt mileage out of this one.

Men are at a disadvantage in marriage so we need to take every opportunity.

Sorry for you car
Old 12-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

If there is ANY kind of **** in the road that will destroy an oil pan/engine or a tire, my Wife is like a cruise missile, She WILL hit it!

Quick Reply: here is a video of my wife driving my 87 z52 over a rock