Advice On Purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979

yeah........

Correct grammar can get you respect, but what good is it if you cant read the fine print?
I can, and he got that right as well. "Must sell" is correct. Must SALE would be your version.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by hcbph
I'm closer to Ziggy's thoughts here. What some are calling body damage looks to be reflections off the paint to me. It looks like some dust on the car so how overall is the paint? Some of the exhaust looks to have been changed, different exhaust tips at a minimum. I wonder if some of the things like the carpet color may be the quality of the picture.

If the car is in good shape and everything works, I'd see if you could get it for a little less, after all it is winter which typically is a little lower price time of the year. If you come up with a price you can live with, consider making a condition of the purchase a pre-purchase inspection, that should help identify any potential issues by a shop that works on Vettes. Be ready to factor in those items in your offer.

Ultimately it's your decision. If it's a car you want, in a condition you can accept for a price you like, then go for it. Remember it's your $$ so ultimately there's only one person that needs to be happy - you.
A good black paint job is like a mirror to the world around it. Hard to photograph.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:37 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
I can, and he got that right as well. "Must sell" is correct. Must SALE would be your version.

Oh wow....cool story bro!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Actually, it reads "for sale" which is the correct tense for the verb in that usage.

"For Sell" is what you see written on cars parked in front of their respective trailer in Appalachia.
Wait a minute, is this Ms. Wilkes from my ninth grade English class? you finally tracked me down after all these years........look tell you what, you follow me around on the forum and monitor my grammar, and i promise to be a good boy and edit all my post......
P.S.
I am sorry about all the spit bal!s back in the day, please don't pull out your ruler cause i still have frightening memories and hand-slap trauma,
sincerely,
Midlife,
XOXO

Last edited by midlifecrisis1979; 12-18-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Wait a minute, is this Ms. Wilkes from my ninth grade English class? you finally tracked me down after all these years........look tell you what, you follow me around on the forum and monitor my grammar, and i promise to be a good boy and edit all my post......
P.S.
I am sorry about all the spit bal!s back in the day, please don't pull out your ruler cause i still have frightening memories and hand-slap trauma,
sincerely,
Midlife,
XOXO
Based on your ability to conjugate a verb, I had you pegged as home schooled.

What school system teaches basic english grammar in 9th grade? You live in Mississippi?

Old 12-18-2017, 02:52 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Based on your ability to conjugate a verb, I had you pegged as home schooled.

What school system teaches basic english grammar in 9th grade? You live in Mississippi?

The same kinda school system that teaches cultural competence to respect places like Mississippi and Appalachia, guess that's why we don't come off looking like bigots around here....

Thought you might like this for your profile pic, it might work out in more ways than one.......

Last edited by midlifecrisis1979; 12-18-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Renfield
Drifting

The same kinda school system that teaches cultural competence to respect places like Mississippi and Appalachia, guess that's why we don't come off looking like bigots around here....

Thought you might like this for your profile pic, it might work out in more ways than one.......
Bless your heart.

I am sorry to have left you butt hurt over your language skills. You might have great knowledge to share about the C4, but I will never know because I can't bear to read gutter English. If you can't take a little constructive criticism about third grade english, you can join the other fellow who can't tell the proper use of "then" vs. "than" on my ignore list.

I most certainly DO make assumptions about intelligence based on another person's command of the language. It's been damn near 100% accurate in my 60 years on this planet.

Buh-by.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Bless your heart.

I am sorry to have left you butt hurt over your language skills. You might have great knowledge to share about the C4, but I will never know because I can't bear to read gutter English. If you can't take a little constructive criticism about third grade english, you can join the other fellow who can't tell the proper use of "then" vs. "than" on my ignore list.

I most certainly DO make assumptions about intelligence based on another person's command of the language. It's been damn near 100% accurate in my 60 years on this planet.

Buh-by.
Good, keep your assumptions, grammar advise, and bigotry to yourself. And you might wanna add a cultural diversity class to you stellar set of grammar skills, cause talking like you do in certain parts of the country might get you in a lot of trouble. Of course, your probably smart enough to only do that behind the safety of a computer screen. Peace out!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

If it runs good, has cold air, has decent tires, decent interior and paint...it's a $5000 entry level vette all day long. Everyone wants to buy one for $2500, and when they sell wants $12500 on this forum.

Look at it this way. If you buy it and it needs a lot of work, you could easily drop $5000 in repairs. If it's a good, well maintained car that needs a few odds and ends (they all do) you are money ahead.

From the pics, it looks like a well maintained car. Drive it for an hour. Look for overheating, leaking, clunking noises and overall condition.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2017, 08:21 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Colaco007
Hi
Thinking of purchasing a 1986 Corvette. It’s clean, but has 121,000 miles on it and is $6000. How would you advise?[/LEFT]
If....it's a 1 owner car with all service records.....and you have it checked out by a competent Vette mechanic...and he does not find any issues the most I would pay would be $4800. Without a pedigree, service records, and clean bill of health that's a $3k car at best. Hell I just paid $3800. for a '96 with 145K and a few mechanical issues. Keep in mind I am in the northeast, market conditions may be different in your area.

Last edited by pacoW; 12-20-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I started with an 86 C4 and still like driving it. Mine only has 46k miles. Price seems a bit high based on the mileage and the interior needs some work so if it runs ok and the owner has service records, you should be able to get it at a better price. Here's a pic of a clean 86.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:05 AM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Advice

Forgot to tell you,....If he's a forum member....That's his baby...Top dollar. Ain't NO new Corvette feels like the snug fit of a C4...Just my thoughts
Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

What's that dash pad covering? What's that steering wheel cover covering? Does everything work? Any codes? How does it run and drive? How are the brakes? How does it shift? Any noises? The asking price means nothing without those questions answered so I'm not going to give an opinion on the price except to say it seems like a pretty average asking price for cars on craigslist in my area.

Quick Reply: Advice On Purchasing