Help locating a specific low profile rear wing spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:30 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 1cooldaddyo
I could be (and probably am) wrong, but it looks kinda like the factory spoiler on an early 80's Trans Am.
Yep, you are wrong. The reason it looks like that, is that some of the early C4 design sketches had a low profile rear wing. It didn't make it past the early design stages however, but one very similar did make it's way onto the 1982 Firebird, ala Knightrider as a factory option.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:52 PM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
Thanks! Yes, I think yours was marketed by GM, but Chevy never had an option for a factory spoiler on the C4. What I believe yours is however is a dealer installed GM accessory that was carried in the GM parts catalogs back in the day. They problem is I cannot find any GM advertising documentation that it even existed as a GM accessory, let alone find someone that still has them available. If you find any hidden markings on the bottom side, on the pedestals, or anything to help me identify the manufacturer of your spoiler, please let me know. So far you are the only active member on the forum that even still seems to have one. Your car is beautiful by the way! I thank you for replying and all the help thus far!

Merry Christmas!!
The posts do come between the tail lights. I do believe it was designed for the corvette. The spacing and all the alignment is correct. I did see a pontiac spoiler very simular if not exact. I will look for markings or numbers and send a better pic. Thank you for the compliment. It all original paint also. Runs great.
The following users liked this post:
CRAIGVETTE (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 05:55 PM
kenmohr
Drifting

Thanks, that sure looks like it from that angle! I have seen it with and without the embossed CORVETTE. I also remember that the pedestals were lined up between the tailights, do you have a photo from straight on from the back, and other angles like in my original post? Most importantly, do you have any details about who makes it and where to still find one? Thanks again!

Merry Christmas!!
Will take a few pics and post them.
CRAIGVETTE (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:08 PM
kenmohr
Drifting

Hope this helps. There are no markings visable. I saw one other vette with this wing. If I find any more info I will get it to you. Merry Christmas

Last edited by kenmohr; 12-24-2017 at 06:17 PM.
CRAIGVETTE (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:37 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

these people offer 3 that they don't show images of. They sell ACI and usually ID stuff that is ACI. You might try them for snapshots. The one that is actually pictured is maybe close to the GMPP one.

http://corvettespecialty.com/corvett...r-wing-1984-90

I've a friend that bought a complete package for an F-body that was a GMPP offering. What you might need is a GMPP PP-4 catalog from 1992. I thought I had one. I actually might but just having a tough time putting hands on it

There would be PP-3, PP-2 and I believe PP-1 prior but don't know if there was any ground-effect packages.
CRAIGVETTE (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 07:28 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by kenmohr
Hope this helps. There are no markings visable. I saw one other vette with this wing. If I find any more info I will get it to you. Merry Christmas

Thank you very much! I have no doubt that yours in the GM accessory spoiler made for the C4, and probably installed by the dealer. It is just what I am looking for, so hopefully I will be able to find one eventually. Thanks again for all your help, and Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:33 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
these people offer 3 that they don't show images of. They sell ACI and usually ID stuff that is ACI. You might try them for snapshots. The one that is actually pictured is maybe close to the GMPP one.

http://corvettespecialty.com/corvett...r-wing-1984-90

I've a friend that bought a complete package for an F-body that was a GMPP offering. What you might need is a GMPP PP-4 catalog from 1992. I thought I had one. I actually might but just having a tough time putting hands on it

There would be PP-3, PP-2 and I believe PP-1 prior but don't know if there was any ground-effect packages.
Thanks, all those spoiler names are used by ACI on their website, and they look they same. The one without an image has a pic on the ACI website.

I believe you are correct about the GM catalog, I just need to be able to find one that far back, and then find a GM dealer that still has a new old stock available. Easy right, ha, ha. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:36 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

The posts do come between the tail lights. I do believe it was designed for the corvette. The spacing and all the alignment is correct. I did see a pontiac spoiler very simular if not exact. I will look for markings or numbers and send a better pic. Thank you for the compliment. It all original paint also. Runs great.
It looks fantastic! Is it and 89? I love the exhaust as well, Corsa? I was hoping to do the same to the 89 I am looking to purchase.
kenmohr (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 02:06 AM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check out this E-b@y listing.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1982-92-Fire...FZ~1rD&vxp=mtr

Old 12-25-2017, 07:06 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

That looks like it or close. Worth looking into. I will take a betterlook under mine to see how they line up with the seams and recess.

Originally Posted by johnnymo63

Last edited by kenmohr; 12-25-2017 at 07:08 AM.
CRAIGVETTE (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 04:23 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
Thanks, but while it looks close, the only way to know for sure if it matches the curvature of the C4 would be to have it sitting on a C4. The compound curvature would have to be exactly the same between the Firebird and the C4, and I doubt they were exact. It would be easier to get the ACI Designer Low Profile Spoiler and cut it down two inches I believe.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:48 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

It would be easier to get the ACI Designer Low Profile Spoiler and cut it down two inches I believe.
I'm not so sure the "Designer Low Profile" wing is tall enough to cut down. Sounds like you think the legs are taller...like ACI's "Collector Series Wing". I think it's very similar to the one pictured in the OP though shorter (front-to-back) as seen in the top-down view.

AFAIK, fiberglass manufacturers have all been mentioned in this thread. (Ecklers might have been left out but they don't make this style wing that I see.) Toledo Pro sold out to ACI...and Vanacorvette went out of business. There was another ("49th Street" IIRC) that also went out of business years ago. I'm not even sure Greenwood is still in business? It seems likely/possible that an "accessory" wing would have been made from one of the aftermarket companies way back when.

For some reason, I seem to remember that wing being in either CC or MidAm Corvette mags 10yrs ago.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:19 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

We looked at a pontiac wing several years ago. If I remember it was slightly different but we had to look close to pick up un it.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 AM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I'm not so sure the "Designer Low Profile" wing is tall enough to cut down. Sounds like you think the legs are taller...like ACI's "Collector Series Wing". I think it's very similar to the one pictured in the OP though shorter (front-to-back) as seen in the top-down view.

AFAIK, fiberglass manufacturers have all been mentioned in this thread. (Ecklers might have been left out but they don't make this style wing that I see.) Toledo Pro sold out to ACI...and Vanacorvette went out of business. There was another ("49th Street" IIRC) that also went out of business years ago. I'm not even sure Greenwood is still in business? It seems likely/possible that an "accessory" wing would have been made from one of the aftermarket companies way back when.

For some reason, I seem to remember that wing being in either CC or MidAm Corvette mags 10yrs ago.
The Designer Wing is ACI's lowest profile wing, yet it is still taller than the one I am looking as pictured in the OP. I had already reached out to ACI a month before starting this thread, and here is what they said: "Our wing sits higher than the one in the photos you sent. The pedestals do have a nut that is bonded in. With fiberglass really anything is possible depending on your experience level. You could grind down the pedestals so they are how you want them, then drill out the hole for the nut and bond it back in."
Back when all the catalogs carried a plethora of spoilers for the C4, the one in the OP was the one I was interested in, as it was always the lowest of the low profile wings.
Doesn't sound like it is manufactured any longer, so maybe someone will see this post and know of one in a Corvette salvage yard or seen one on a wreaked C4.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 AM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

We looked at a pontiac wing several years ago. If I remember it was slightly different but we had to look close to pick up un it.
Would you be so kind as to measure the height of your pedestals so I know how high your wings sits above the rear facia? Then I would at least be able to determine how much I would need to sand off of the ACI pedestals to make it the same height as yours. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 AM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Found this today...

https://www.ebay.com/p/for-Chevrolet...p2047675.l2644
Old 12-26-2017, 11:53 AM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by ColaBear
Thanks, but those are made by The Spoiler Company, and they sit too high, and the pedestals are not located between the tail lights like the one in the OP.

Get notified of new replies

To Help locating a specific low profile rear wing spoiler

Old 12-26-2017, 12:00 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I thought it was an Early 3rd Gen spoiler too -I used to have two early 3rd Gen's. But I think the "feet" on the 3rd gen spoiler are a lot longer, front-rear, and the leading edges are more sharply pointed...than that white one pictured above.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:20 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

It looks fantastic! Is it and 89? I love the exhaust as well, Corsa? I was hoping to do the same to the 89 I am looking to purchase.
It is an 89. I have a code on my rpo list that said "dealer installed option"
not sure which one now. Was one of these I believe, V73, 731, 739, 1ay, 1sb.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

It is an 89. I have a code on my rpo list that said "dealer installed option"
not sure which one now. Was one of these I believe, V73, 731, 739, 1ay, 1sb.
A spoiler was never a factory option on any C4. Therefore, it will not have an RPO code associated with it. You can research all your codes in the two links below. With that said however, I do believe your spoiler was a dealer installed GM accessory, just like if they had done a dealer installed pin stripe for example. In other words, the spoiler was not something that was done by or tracked by the factory, but still something that could have been added on independently by the dealer.

https://www.corvsport.com/1989-c4-corvette/

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/C4RPOcodes.html

Quick Reply: Help locating a specific low profile rear wing spoiler