C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fuel Injector Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:54 PM
myc4jerry
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner

I have a TPI L98 and was wondering if anyone knew whether to use fuel injector cleaner or not?
I'm a new member and sometimes get to show the old car and just trying to keep her running (168,000 Miles )
Thanks, c4jerry
Old 12-27-2017, 06:31 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by myc4jerry
I have a TPI L98 and was wondering if anyone knew whether to use fuel injector cleaner or not?
I'm a new member and sometimes get to show the old car and just trying to keep her running (168,000 Miles )
Thanks, c4jerry
If you go up to search and type in fuel injector cleaner you could read all day. Dan
Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Pour in fuel injector cleaners are snake oil..........especially when the fuel filter hasn’t been changed.
Look at a fuel injector cleaner that attaches at the rail or pull the injectors out and clean them individually.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I saved myself a 1200.00 injector job on my old S10 with a bottle of it poured into a 1/4 tank of gas and a few hot laps. Then I let it sit overnight, good as new.
I've had great results, others have not.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:31 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

You can try Techron by Chevron. Others will disagree and that's OK. For what it costs and the effort it takes to use it it certainly won't hurt. It's been around for a long time and it is still recommended by manufacturers (some at 7500 mile intervals when not using top tier gas). It can be called snake oil but IMCO it's worth a try.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Thanks, c4jerry
If they are multecs, I pull them and trash them. Problem solved. If they are not multecs, unless you have an odd configuration, FIC has rebuilt ones on hand. All the filter baskets cleaned, checked for crud build up and make sure they are reasonable close for the same amount it would take to do it the long way. Injector cleaner is good for stimulating the economy. Someone has to be the fool to keep them in business so why not you?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:08 AM
myc4jerry
4th Gear

I just asked a reasonable question about fuel injector cleaner specifically for a tpi engine, not ever having this system, and I'm told I'm a fool in your opinion if I do?
I will listen to other opinions before I decide.
have a nice day.
c4jerry
Old 12-28-2017, 05:35 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I just asked a reasonable question about fuel injector cleaner specifically for a tpi engine, not ever having this system, and I'm told I'm a fool in your opinion if I do?
have a nice day.
c4jerry
Don't let it bother you. Fuel injector cleaning is a sore subject with him.
Don't mess with the stuff you pour in the fuel tank, it doesn't really do anything. You can run injector cleaner through the fuel rail if you have the equipment. This process has merit.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:36 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I just asked a reasonable question about fuel injector cleaner specifically for a tpi engine, not ever having this system,

and I'm told I'm a fool in your opinion if I do?

have a nice day.
c4jerry
Most vehicles use injectors not just the TPI. Multecs do not like anything besides gas and that includes ethanol.

I'm saying that there are a bunch of fools that need to be fleeced by the sellers of the snake oils. They will take anyone's money including yours.

As you wish. Not my money so if you don't like the way I put it and want a more polite version, you should have asked for the "sugar coat version" earlier on.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Don't let it bother you. Fuel injector cleaning is a sore subject with him.
Don't mess with the stuff you pour in the fuel tank, it doesn't really do anything. You can run injector cleaner through the fuel rail if you have the equipment. This process has merit.
I don't like the unproven additives that are for diesel engines or transmissions any more than this. But they need to fleece money from people who think they can get $50 of goods for $5. I guess that is the order of things. So while Madoff did something illegal, it did expose a lot of people who were gullible enough to believe in his crap. One of them was Google enough to atone for his mistakes. Talking about the major investors that were looking for a scanner to invest unknowing clients' money in a sure win game
Old 12-28-2017, 09:21 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't like the unproven additives that are for diesel engines or transmissions any more than this. But they need to fleece money from people who think they can get $50 of goods for $5. I guess that is the order of things. So while Madoff did something illegal, it did expose a lot of people who were gullible enough to believe in his crap. One of them was Google enough to atone for his mistakes. Talking about the major investors that were looking for a scanner to invest unknowing clients' money in a sure win game
What are you even talking about ? The OP does not have a diesel engine and did not invest with Madoff.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:23 AM
aklim
Team Owner

What are you even talking about ? The OP does not have a diesel engine and did not invest with Madoff.
I'll try simpler analogies just for you. Although I suspect you knew that before you typed. Nice pretense though.

Last edited by aklim; 12-28-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

OH BOY! Now you did it. Prepare to be entertained!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
OH BOY! Now you did it. Prepare to be entertained!
https://giphy.com/gifs/russell-crowe-rvaQRHCzisFeo
Old 12-28-2017, 03:08 PM
myc4jerry
4th Gear

Default Fuel injector cleaner

So I take away that the best solution is to take em apart and service em . Didn't mean to raise anyone's blood pressure, lol
Old 12-28-2017, 03:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

So I take away that the best solution is to take em apart and service em . Didn't mean to raise anyone's blood pressure, lol
https://goo.gl/images/tjuQYm

Which is what you have? Multecs belongs in the landfill since it won't play with ethanol. I'd get a set of remans before I do any service work to them.

I don't use snake oils and unless I am trying to screw you over won't recommend what I wouldn't use. I get mine cleaned on a schedule based on what builds up which is based on the "before and after" report from cleaning. For stock size, I'd just get remans since it is just as cheap as cleaning. How you proceed depends on how nit-picking you are.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
I get mine cleaned on a schedule based on what builds up which is based on the "before and after" report from cleaning. For stock size, I'd just get remans since it is just as cheap as cleaning. How you proceed depends on how nit-picking you are.
What happens if yours get dirty before the cleaning schedule predicts, and the car starts running like crap ?

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 12-28-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Injector Cleaner

Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Thanks, c4jerry
What problem or issue are you attempting to solve? None? Then I'd recommend "neither". I wouldn't buy and pour dubious potions into any of your car's orifices...and I wouldn't remove injectors to pay to have them serviced. You realize that all pump gas already has detergent in it right? That that detergent is there specifically to clean (or keep clean) your injectors? If the car runs fine, makes fine power, and gets fine gas mileage...you're hitting the metrics and that means the car is working right. Keep driving it.
The following users liked this post:
CCRed (12-29-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
You realize that all pump gas already has detergent in it right? That that detergent is there specifically to clean (or keep clean) your injectors?
How well does the detergent work that is in plain old gasoline? Have a look! Here are the intake ports and valves in my '92 when I pulled the intake at somewhere around 155k miles....

I recently did head gaskets on my sister-in-law's '09 Subaru outback. She buys the cheapest gas she can get. Have a look...

The following users liked this post:
CCRed (12-29-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 05:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

What happens if yours get dirty before the cleaning schedule predicts, and the car starts running like crap ?
It's a very complicated schedule. I mean, TB cleaning and injector cleaning and a virgin sacrifice are done at the same time. This would royal upset the schedule. I normally don't tell people this but since we are so close, here's what I do.

Turn off all electronic devices and make sure you can’t be disturbed.

Create & protect your sacred space. You can use prayer, crystals, ask the 4 directions (east, south, west, & north) and Mother Earth and Father Sky to join you. Full directions on this are below

Sit or lie in a position which keeps your back straight. This helps the energy or Chi flow uninterrupted.

If you are using sound, turn on the water fountain, nature sounds CD, music, etc.

Relax and breathe. Allow your body to release all tension, beginning right above the top of your head – then slowly moving down until all negativity and stress flow out through your feet and into Mother Earth.

When you feel ready, invite your spirit animal to come forward. Don’t panic if an animal doesn’t immediately appear. Trust is needed at this time.

When an animal appears, welcome it and thank it for coming.

Ask the animal if it is your animal spirit guide. If it replies with a yes, ask what messages it has for you. Let your animal helper know you want honest messages – even if they are a little hard to know.

When your spirit animal is finished delivering its messages, ask if there is anything you can do for it in return.

You’ll sense when the session is nearing its conclusion. Thank your spirit animal for showing up and tell him/her, honestly, if you will integrate its messages into your life.

As you are comfortable, return to the physical world.

Thank the 4 directions, Mother Earth, and Father Sky and release their energies.

Take time to journal the experience. Include all details that you can remember. This is a vital step. It’s not enough to meet your spirit animal and, then, forget him/her/them. It’s helpful to revisit your guide’s lessons until you no longer need its medicine.
Sometimes it also helps to chant:
A-koo-chee-moya. We are far from the sacred places of our grandfathers. We are far from the bones of my people. But I ask, on this day of sorrow and uncertainty, that the wisdom of my father find me and help me understand my dilemma. Speak to me, Father. Speak to me in my dreams.

Last edited by aklim; 12-28-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner